B.A.R. Audits are coming!!

stopthestarprogram
Administrator
B.A.R. Audits are coming again!!  Beginning Nov. 1st - Jan. 1st everyone make everyone does the following:
- pass leak check with dual exhaust hose connected.
- pass leak check on single exhaust
- cooling fan operational and present
- dyne straps present and operational
- dyne side rollers present and operational
- No EIS Tampers
- Digital EGR tester
- Hand Vacuum Pump
- Tire pressure Gauge
- 2013 ECS Manual
- Mitchell and All Data up to date
- Extra parts just in-case: filters, probe tips, tach lead, probe hoses, etc.
- A COPY OF CALIFORNIA CODES AND REGULATIONS BOOK ready to defend yourself
- Smog Check Reference Guide
- Smog Check Procedures Manual
-

Don't give B.A.R. a reason for pleasure themselves!!  They enjoy handing out citations and shutting down shops, don't give them a reason.  Most B.A.R. reps watch C.S.I. and think they are detectives!

Re: B.A.R. Audits are coming!!

Mark
No other industry on earth has to go through
such shit as with smogs. A doctor could do a
heart transplant and not be as regulated.

Re: B.A.R. Audits are coming!!

 thanks for the heads up ! the book will have to be bought in December tho .

Re: B.A.R. Audits are coming!!

Banned
It wouldn't surprise me if this new Q/A crap is evidence of the "squirming" brought on by the
coming injunction. "So you don't like our debacle, okay assholes, we'll audit you while we
jump up and down, roll on the floor and scream like babies, and if you ever don't like something
we pull out of our asses in the future, we'll do the same damn thing, but scream even louder
next time. That will show you lowlifes who's in charge. Now get down on all fours and squeal
like a pig."

Re: B.A.R. Audits are coming!!

Accused
Not sure where this list was generated but if it is to be presented as all required items there are some problems.  I know none of my machines are equipped to test both hoses at once, are yours?  Nobody can mandate spare parts, I'd like to see them try.

Personally, I see most BAR donks feel the need to write you up for something so why not give them something simple like a missing book or testing with the door open to show they are doing their job.  It will be a 7 day notice, not a citation.  When they leave they get to feel like they did their job and you get to correct 1 thing that you actually needed rather than some obscure BS that they had to make up to justify their paycheck.

Re: B.A.R. Audits are coming!!

smoglord
I dont think spare parts are mandated, they are only just in case. If you run over your exaust prove,or back out with the sample hose in the tail pipe, and you dont have spares and they show up for audit they can lockout your machine, it hapened to me about 10 years ago. Leak check failed no spare prove locked me out, I had to fax them the purchase then they cleared it.

Re: B.A.R. Audits are coming!!

smoginstructor
@ Accused if your machine can not accommodate the dual probe set up you have the wrong sample hose.  Your hose should be a 16' hose with a quick disconnect brass coupler where a smaller probe hose can be added.  Once that is done you cap off both tips and it needs to pass the calibration.  The spare parts are in-case you fail a calibration during the time the rep is their you have a fighting chance to not have to ax them paper work later down the road.  If your wondering who wrote that list it was ME, I thought that maybe by putting my sources to work I could save some technicians and shop owners the trouble and hassle of having to deal with B.A.R. but I guess one can never be to helpful.  With that said if you would like to try and meet their standards and not have to worry about the audit go right ahead but, if you would much rather have the head ache and deal with a automotive reject (B.A.R. Rep. PR 1 or 2) then do as you please.  No one can force you to do anything you don't want to do.  Have fun.

Re: B.A.R. Audits are coming!!

smoginstructor
We already received our book from Motor.

Re: B.A.R. Audits are coming!!

BARrat
how much did you get the book for? i know Joe rips off the shops and charges each shop accordingly

Re: B.A.R. Audits are coming!!

smoginstructor
Contact Daniel from Motor books (702) 254-8561 he is in Las Vegas.  He is always on top of his game get the books to us midway through the year and makes sure we have everything we need.

Re: B.A.R. Audits are coming!!

smoginstructor,

Thanks for the heads-up!  However,

I have used a bi-directional scanner or a DVOM with needle probes to check electro-magnetic EGR valves for many years, and have never been bitched out for not having the digital tester.

I have never been asked to pass a dual probe leak check.

I have never been asked to provide an ECS manual newer than the current CALENDAR year.

I have never been asked to prove that my dyne straps are functional (I have them, but almost never use them).

Since BAR stopped printing and sending us the most up-to-date manuals, I have kept the old ones, and simply refer to the most recent on-line version when I feel that it's necessary.

Should I worry?  I can easily make hard copies of the SCRG and SCIP tonight ... in fact, I think I will.  But what is your honest opinion about the other items that I mentioned?

Sincerely,

barrym95838
EA144107

Re: B.A.R. Audits are coming!!

Mark
Different ass holes must check different shit.

They ALWAYS make me hook up both hoses.

But they don't even ask about straps.

I think its good Idea to have a couple of
spar tips and a hose. You could get locked
out for a day and that would cost way more
than the spar parts.

Re: B.A.R. Audits are coming!!

JUAN
i smogged a 1995 ASTRO last week  2 speed with a LINEAR EGR still has the square GM obd connector and cannot use a bidirectional scanner, i can only do that on 1996 and newer OBD2. i hesitate to use needle proves on this type EGR, i used to use needle proves on the digital type like the old LUMINAS never on LINEAR ones i blew a PCM quad driver once.   i have a EGR tester about 200 bucks. with all the UC going on its not worth the risk of not having it. i called a few buddys that told me they just pass the EGR functional on this vans without checking it. I will not take that risk

Keep in mind when the BAR never did that or this before like Mr. Barry stated, they also never had a class action type lawsuit, so they may go by the book and enforce everything they want. just my opinion.

Re: B.A.R. Audits are coming!!

Juan,

Thanks for responding, and for looking out.

You are correct about the danger of blowing a quad driver on the linear versions, especially the ones where both outside wires go directly to the PCM (instead of one to the PCM and one to an underhood fuse).  I look up the diagram on AllData and decide whether to ground the control wire with it still connected or use jumper wires and my power probe with it disconnected.  The digital and underhood-fuse-linear versions are both 'open-collector'-style quad drivers, and cannot be accidentally damaged by jumping to ground.

That being said, it is dangerous to go power-probing around with reckless abandon, especially with +12v.  I was checking the purge solenoid KOEO on a Chrysler product a few years back, and didn't realize that a rat had removed enough insulation to allow a few PCM wires to touch each-other.  I had my power-probe in 'quiet-mode', and I actually heard an output driver in the PCM audibly blow as I powered up one of the affected circuits.  Doh!!!

It's a pain in the ass, but I try to inspect all EGRs as thoroughly as possible (I even check the middle 'sensor' wire for a voltage blip while power-braking).  Luckily, TSIs only show up once in a blue moon, since I'm right in the middle of 'ASM country'.  Also, many of the OBD-1 Cadillacs offer the option of output-override, if you know or can look up the correct dashboard control panel button sequences.

Take care,

barrym95838
EA144107

Re: B.A.R. Audits are coming!!

smoginstructor
Last time audits where done they sent out the road side guys to do them.  Instead of firing their asses they made them go do audits, as I walked all over this rep he stated that he was given that position because he could not pass the test to be a field rep.  He had a list issued by B.A.R. Which had everything I mentioned on it do they all do what they are supposed to do? Hell no they do what they feel when they feel, I have heard a B.A.R. Rep say they can do what ever they want because they are the government.  I contacted very source I knew and they EGR tester is discontinued so EBay is my last resort sine mine is no longer working.  They only need to be checked on 1995 and older TSI tests and my Snap- On VERUS dose not have mode 8 on OBDI vehicles.  It still in legislation that you are required to have the digital EGR tester, so if you don't have one mKe sure to get it before it's to late.

Re: B.A.R. Audits are coming!!

smoginstructor,

Forgive me if I'm being dense, but I could find no specific mention of a digital EGR tester in SCRG 1.4

http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/80_BARResources/ftp/pdfdocs/Smog%20Check%20Reference%20Guide.pdf

There are lots of other things in that list that you didn't mention, depending on station type, but I'm 99% sure that we have it covered here.  If this link is incorrect, incomplete, or obsolete, please let me know as soon as possible.

I appreciate it!

barrym95838
EA144107

Re: B.A.R. Audits are coming!!

Mark
The way I always thought you tested them was to feed
each one of the coils. If the RPM droped it worked. This
tested the coil and the port. The computer would complain
about the wiring.

Took a couple of wires if my brain is not failing me.

Re: B.A.R. Audits are coming!!

Mark,

I believe that your technique is sufficient 99 times out of 100.  There are other possible defect modes, but the UC follow-up for me was a 3-coil digital version that did nothing when jumped, so that's probably the defect that they're looking for you to catch.

Take it easy, big guy!

barrym95838
EA144107

Re: B.A.R. Audits are coming!!

Accused
SMOGINSTRUCTOR,
I think you are misunderstanding my post.  I have a dual probe and it connects correctly.  Leak testing however is another story.  ESP provides 1 plug for leak testing.  I have had 1 asshole ask to leak test it and he provided his own plug which I rejected because it was not the same as the factory provided clear plastic tube.  My point is that ESP never equiped the machine to have both probes tested at once and therefore BAR should not expect us to do so.  Especially with equipment not designed for that function. Logic wins if you put it to work and articulate it.  I hope that makes a little more sense.

As far as the spare parts, we always have items and use them as needed, replace as possible.  My comment is that BAR cannot mandate those parts be on hand.  They can only write you up if you fail a leak test/calibration or the like.

And lastly, BAR reps in my area have always tended to find at least 2 things to write up in a QA - even if you have everything on the list you came up with.  Early on, I adopted the practice of not ordering books until I received a 7 day notice so that they could write me for that instead of something obscure.  That usually meant that 1 time a year they wouldn't come up with something stupid. The other 3 times a year, I would purposely leave the hood open or not positon the fan.  When that didn't happen, they would find stupid hoops to jump through and get all pissy.

When QA's stopped every 90 days, I started buying the books as they came out.

I am also sure to perform full leak checks on all of my machines so that I know when parts are needed.  Who wants to give BAR a reason to lock you out.

Re: B.A.R. Audits are coming!!

Accused,

Wow, you've had some real jerks over the years!  It almost sounds like they were given a 'write-up' quota which they were expected to meet.

Like I said before, my recent audit guy is very courteous, friendly, and professional.  He checks what he needs to check, and has no problem whatsoever signing off if there's nothing wrong.  That being said, I hope he doesn't get replaced with one of your guys, because that would suck wasting time while he picked nits.  Maybe having the 2012 guide instead of the 2013 guide will 'throw him a bone' and satisfy his write-up quota?

Sincerely,

barrym95838
EA144107