BAR New Tricks

My Name is Nobody
The vehicles usually are Honda Accord 4 cylinders or Mustang V6 with OBDII. The vehicles are equipped with an approved aftermarket cold air intake and an approved aftermarket Catalytic converter.  They could use one or the other or both on the same vehicle.

No hose connects between the PCV valve and the cold air intake(capped port) and PCV filter in place of the PCV valve.

Very easy to see on the Honda, and a little harder to see on the Pony.

Inexperienced tech can get caught on both set-ups very easily, and experienced tech might get caught on the Pony set-up.

This new trick is called diversion/distraction!  They make you spend so much time to verify the cold air and/or the catalytic converter EO#, and you let your guard down once you see that the Cold Air and/or Cat are approved and miss the PCV filter.

Re: BAR New Tricks

Thick6
I saw the mustang. The PCV filter was fairly well hidden but not if ur looking for it. Had stock intake, not sure about the cats. The vacuum port capped off kinda stands out.

Re: BAR New Tricks

Hard Nox
That is Dirty

Are we talking about the Old Open Breather Trick on the valve cover trick. With the PCV valve and suction hose is place?
Taking me back a few years. A Type 1 PCV system.

Any more info? OIS or ASM generation  Years?  Pics?

That's borderline Entrapment

I wouldn't put it past those guys to use old Rusty or scraped up Cats on those set-ups.

Re: BAR New Tricks

Able
For reals that's dirty.

How can we do catch all of that with 3 customers waiting?

I do let my guard down once an EO# checks out. I think okay EO# is good, let's move on.

That's very tricky. Something like that would definitely get many techs in a lot of trouble and then the fine and lose STAR for a year?

My lord....

Re: BAR New Tricks

Troll
If you let your guard down-you might as well flip mcburgers.
Dont!!!
it takes experience, discipline, and deaf ears not worrying about customers upset at wait.
One of my instuctors said you should add up your citation time conference, class taken and time off work going to them and the extra5-10 minutes on inspection time is meaningless. Ok I just gave you "fatherly advice"
iha

Re: BAR New Tricks

iha
This is not a new trick. In 2012 their was a V8 Camaro with a legal after market K&N Cold Air Intake with a cone filter replacing the stock unfiltered inlet to the air pump. It appears that the cone filter is part of the K&N!

Re: BAR New Tricks

Hard Nox
Would that be non compliant? If the original A.I.R. Inlet to the electric air pump was only fitted with a Water Deflector from the factory. The only reason for the Water Deflector was to Save the Pump from moisture contamination. This could cause early failure of the A.I.R. pump.
GM's fix was to relocate the remote mounted air inlet inside a fender liner or similar location, and install a more Robust Water Deflector. And of course replace the pump if it was damaged.

There was no Inlet Filter from the factory, only a Water Deflector on many applications.

I wouldn't put it past those guys to use old Rusty or scraped up Cats on those set-ups.
Both vehicle are OIS.  I'll post pictures soon.

Re: BAR New Tricks

iha wrote
This is not a new trick. In 2012 their was a V8 Camaro with a legal after market K&N Cold Air Intake with a cone filter replacing the stock unfiltered inlet to the air pump. It appears that the cone filter is part of the K&N!
I'm glad that one didn't come here.  I probably would have passed it.

Re: BAR New Tricks

fartvalve
Pics please
I have chronic pain because stupid hurts!

Re: BAR New Tricks

My Name is Nobody
fartvalve wrote
Pics please
5RFD386.pdf

Re: BAR New Tricks

cosmokramertheassman
^^ How would any competent tech pass that? Hell, even for an inexperienced tech that should throw up a red flag.

Re: BAR New Tricks

I would pass it if a competing shop owner paid me $50,000 plus any legal fees incurred from the citation in an effort to sabotage the shops STAR.

Re: BAR New Tricks

So the Chevy Camaro has air pump, and it has a cone type K&N filter, the air tube from the air pump cannot have a k&n filter/breather at the end?

Re: BAR New Tricks

drivecycle
Is this a realistic scenario in the real world? Why would anyone in the real world remove the PCV valve and/or hose from the intake? Of course a hose or valve could be accidentally disconnected but that would be very obvious.

But for someone to go to the effort to insert a plastic cap in place of the PCV hose? Only the BAR would do something like that to intentionally deceive the tech. There's no reason for anyone else to do that to their car.

Re: BAR New Tricks

And the people that do do this kind of crap tend to go straight to the clean pipers. It is not realistic but it is easy to spot.

I don't know how they can say it is perjury though, what is the difference between your eyes making a mistake and when your hands make a mistake? STAR proves we make data entry errors, 1 UC run with a visual mistake does not statistically prove intent to deprive the citizens of the protection afforded by the smog check program.

Re: BAR New Tricks

Kriss Vector

Re: BAR New Tricks

I hope you tried changing the PCV valve and made sure the system was breathing before you went that route. I would make PCV valve replacement a legal obligation if I could.

Re: BAR New Tricks

My Name is Nobody

Re: BAR New Tricks

thanks for the pics  first and foremost . If i am unsure of the instllation and what can be modified i read the whole pdf .But yes , that pcv filter cone thingy is dirty .I failed the cone to the air pump set up onnce ,not sure if they came back.
12