BAR Proposed Regulation: Biometric Login & Webcams

BAR Proposed Regulation: Biometric Login & Webcams

His_Stigness
Soo I was reading the Fall newsletter:  https://www.bar.ca.gov/ARSC/Newsletters/Newsletter/Fall_2020/ And I came across this gem for proposed regulation change:

In response to this growing problem, at the July 2020 BAR Advisory Group meeting, BAR announced development of a regulatory proposal to enhance Smog Check inspection equipment security. Specifically, the proposal seeks to implement the following changes:

Require use of a biometric login device and a web camera by licensed Smog Check inspectors when performing a Smog Check using the BAR-97 Emissions Inspection System (EIS) and BAR On-Board Diagnostic Inspection System (BAR-OIS).

Require that Smog Check stations allow BAR access whenever inspections are being performed, even if the inspections occur outside normal business hours.

Require that Smog Check inspectors allow BAR staff remote access to the inspection process, via the internet, when prompted by the BAR-OIS software.

Uhh, fuck you guys?

I would only allow that kind of shit IF it meant no more undercover cars. You guys can have one or the other. And if they don't want to do that, then take over the program and have the Referee stations do all the inspections.

Re: BAR Proposed Regulation: Biometric Login & Webcams

none
They were talking about this in meetings almost two years ago though.
https://www.bar.ca.gov/pdf/SmogCheck_Program_Update_1.17.19.pdf  PAGE 8

Re: BAR Proposed Regulation: Biometric Login & Webcams

I would not mind cameras. It'd make it way more easier to fail cars for visuals by telling customers that big brother is watching us(them too) while doing smogs.

Re: BAR Proposed Regulation: Biometric Login & Webcams

none
I think all these things would help to cut down on the fraud that is WAY too rampant in our industry.

Re: BAR Proposed Regulation: Biometric Login & Webcams

dcf1ver
I wouldn't have a problem with it. We're 100% legit

Re: BAR Proposed Regulation: Biometric Login & Webcams

yalo
We will need to wash and dry hands non stop, in other case fingerprint sensor won't work.

Re: BAR Proposed Regulation: Biometric Login & Webcams

defective
"and most importantly, these changes will protect consumers by ensuring that only properly trained and licensed inspectors are inspecting vehicles at licensed stations"

LOL, the consumers are the ones that want these hot smogs!

Re: BAR Proposed Regulation: Biometric Login & Webcams

planters
The government cannot spy on you with a camera in your private place of business without your consent, or without probable cause you are doing anything wrong.

That is totally unconstitutional. This is not the Soviet Union or North Korea. Anyone who would accept this is an idiot. But by now we should all know the BAR and State of California has zero respect for anyone's civil rights. They are just asking for a lawsuit.

Re: BAR Proposed Regulation: Biometric Login & Webcams

none
They have your consent every time you log in to OIS.

I still think there is way too many people doing illegal smogs and if this cuts down on it I am in favor of it because the clean pluggers are taking business from me and that costs me money. If these people would fix their cars right and get them smogged at a station that plays by the rules and by the guy who is actually the licensed tech it would benefit all of us.

Re: BAR Proposed Regulation: Biometric Login & Webcams

WealdstoneRaider
Planters maybe slow down and read the terms and conditions before you hit continue. I'm all for it, no illicit activity at my workplace. Can't say the same for some huh...
want sm'ting I'll give it to ya

Re: BAR Proposed Regulation: Biometric Login & Webcams

planters
none wrote
They have your consent every time you log in to OIS.

I still think there is way too many people doing illegal smogs and if this cuts down on it I am in favor of it because the clean pluggers are taking business from me and that costs me money. If these people would fix their cars right and get them smogged at a station that plays by the rules and by the guy who is actually the licensed tech it would benefit all of us.
WealdstoneRaider wrote
Planters maybe slow down and read the terms and conditions before you hit continue. I'm all for it, no illicit activity at my workplace. Can't say the same for some huh...

When did I ever consent to be monitored by a camera?

Damn, you people are scary to accept whatever crap the government shoves down your throat with a smile on your face while you happily kiss their rear ends. No wonder the country is turning into a police state.

Re: BAR Proposed Regulation: Biometric Login & Webcams

XXAMM1
Since 1979 I have been licensed in New York.We did safety and emissions(smog).In the late 90's they started with dynos for the IM240.Cameras were part of the program,they were positioned so it could see the
front of vehicle,license plate,inspector.It would take snapshots during the dyno test,to verify the vehicle matched the info entered into the analyzer.At first no one took it seriously,and would turn or cover the camera.The state cracked down on blocking the camera.
  I have no problem with BAR setting up camera,It is only when testing.In this day and age we are on camera almost anywhere we go,stores,homes traffic intersections.
  Like None and No One said if you are clean who cares?If they want to peek at my but crack and skid mark
ok by me.

  Like None and No One said if you are clean who cares?If they want to peek at my but crack and skid mark
ok by me.

Re: BAR Proposed Regulation: Biometric Login & Webcams

planters wrote
none wrote
[...]

Do you have an iphone? How about facebook, IG, or twitter? I bet you use google too. 1984 is here and wasn't shoved down your throat by big brother, but by big tech. You consent to it all day everyday. just look at whats going with the Joe Biden story.

Also, i wont consent to being recorded by the government. 4th amendment and shit. But the new dad says it will be used strictly for DATA CHECK FAILS  so that means the web cam will be covered or disconnected 100% of the time.

Re: BAR Proposed Regulation: Biometric Login & Webcams

planters
XXAMM1 wrote
  Like None and No One said if you are clean who cares?If they want to peek at my but crack and skid mark
ok by me.

Why not have a camera set up inside your living room so the state can monitor what you're doing inside your own house 24/7? If you are clean and crime free who cares?

What's even more fun is when they make you pay a thousand or more dollars for the camera in addition to a couple hundred in monthly monitoring and maintenance fees plus installation fees. I bet you people would enjoy that!

Re: BAR Proposed Regulation: Biometric Login & Webcams

No One
planters wrote
XXAMM1 wrote
  Like None and No One said if you are clean who cares?If they want to peek at my but crack and skid mark
ok by me.

Why not have a camera set up inside your living room so the state can monitor what you're doing inside your own house 24/7? If you are clean and crime free who cares?

What's even more fun is when they make you pay a thousand or more dollars for the camera in addition to a couple hundred in monthly monitoring and maintenance fees plus installation fees. I bet you people would enjoy that!
4th amendment  my dude

also, you have to spend money to make money

Re: BAR Proposed Regulation: Biometric Login & Webcams

444O444
No biometric login no webcams are going to prevent illegal smogs unless we learn to appreciate and be grateful for the air that we breath, the nature, environment that we live and the nature and environment that we are going to leave after us to next generations , to our kids.
we and the generations before us consumed almost all of it, almost nothing left.
And if we don't change or at least if don't try to understand the value of what is left and try to preserve, to protect what is left, the end will be catastrophic.

Even the cars that passing the smog inspections with flying numbers are polluting the environment. The only thing is, they are polluting within allowable range (or may be not we just think they are) And that allowable range is set by the people who sits behind their desks and do the calculation for us, that if we pollute this much we  are still going to be okay the nature will recover.

Su guys, do your self a favor, do a world a favor do your job right, don't do a favor to a friend or a family, if the car needs to fail the test fail it.

You don't have  to be a super-duper mechanic to be a smog tech , just knowing the basics of how the engine works is enough.
We have books internet. it is almost impossible not to find an answer.

Don't be lazy to open the engine cover and to put your nee on a ground. at the end you are getting paid for doing your job, no?

If you find a broken vacuum hose or pcv hose or something and replace it or let the customer know that they should replace it.
or a car leaks oil a lot. don't say it is not my job, let the customer know. tell them it is not good for environment, even sometimes explain them why he should fix it.

if the obd2 monitors is not ready in the car instead of telling them to go drive the car 100-150 miles and came back. explain them the OBD2 drive cycle, tel them they can easily find it if they google search it. or just print it out and gave it to them.

if they set up the monitors in 20 miles rather than 150 miles, you see how you help to reduce the emissions.

I mean, you find one defect and fix it, I do find and fix it, he, she...... then at the end  WE together help the nature  to recover.

That should be our goal together to help to reduce the pollution guys.

good luck

Re: BAR Proposed Regulation: Biometric Login & Webcams

planters
No One wrote
planters wrote
XXAMM1 wrote
  Like None and No One said if you are clean who cares?If they want to peek at my but crack and skid mark
ok by me.

Why not have a camera set up inside your living room so the state can monitor what you're doing inside your own house 24/7? If you are clean and crime free who cares?

What's even more fun is when they make you pay a thousand or more dollars for the camera in addition to a couple hundred in monthly monitoring and maintenance fees plus installation fees. I bet you people would enjoy that!
4th amendment  my dude

also, you have to spend money to make money

how does a camera make you money?

a camera doesn't make you money, sherlock - it makes you lose money because you will be the one paying for the cost of the camera as well as the ongoing maintenance and monitoring fees. you would enjoy losing hundreds to thousands of dollars every year for the privilege of being spied on by the government?

a sucker born every minute!

a sucker born every minute!
ill use the web cam for my only fans account. Maybe youll be one of my subscribers.

Re: BAR Proposed Regulation: Biometric Login & Webcams

444O444 wrote
No biometric login no webcams are going to prevent illegal smogs unless we learn to appreciate and be grateful for the air that we breath, the nature, environment that we live and the nature and environment that we are going to leave after us to next generations , to our kids. .......That should be our goal together to help to reduce the pollution guys.

good luck
I agree with everything you said including fixing the bad part or telling the customer about the oil leak because we can test cars all we want but haven't done anything to reduce the pollution until we actually repair the issue. I personally think we can make the biggest difference in "mobile source emissions" by changing the way people drive. Traffic lights and toll booths cause a lot of pollution by stopping all the weight (the car) and then we have to get it going again rather than keeping it moving. I want more car-pool lanes in my area of the state too.

The problem I see it that a lot of people live just for the moment and don't plan for the future. How many times do you get someone who says they don't have the money to fix their car but the floorboard is covered in cigarette packages and energy drink cans and they are covered in tattoos? They have money but they are spending it on "wants" not "needs". It irks me when I hear old people complain about not having any money in retirement like it is somebody else's fault but then they tell you about all the cool cars they've had or trips they've taken.

I also want people in government from either side of the isle who want plans for the long haul , not just a quick two year plan that borrows from the future. Whether it is the debt or the environment, we didn't get here overnight and it will take a long time to change it back with some "discomfort".