BAR, an alternative to STAR for quality control of the shops

BAR, an alternative to STAR for quality control of the shops

FRUSTRATED
Fellow smog techs and shop owners.  What do you think of this.  If BAR was truly on a path to validate who is doing smogs in accordance to the outlined procedures, there is one I thought of to do it.  I know our shop is honest, like the vast majority of those in our industry, unfortunately a few rotten apples cause us all to be treated worse than your everyday criminal. What I would propose to BAR is this, have a once a year or 6 months if they wished to have the right to smog an at random car immediately after you smogged it in your shop.  My theory behind this is this, if you are an honest shop who smogs the vehicles as per the BAR outlined procedures, then you should not have much objection to this.  Granted, it cannot be a tampered vehicle that they are accustomed to sending, it must be a true at random check.  The test must be done using the shops equipment and by the same smog tech that just did the smog but with the bureau observing the test, this will keep the integrity of the calibration of the machine and the readouts of the probe(s) used.  The big drawback I see is the possible inconvenience to the customer but aside from that, this would eliminate the trivial percentage game we are to play with the STAR program of the future pass/fail and the deviations of aborts, restarts, missed timing, evap, incorrect gear (just imagine you do the test in Drive and the transmission is not well maintained so it doesn't shift like the other 90% across the state, it won't matter, the bureau would witness you did nothing wrong).  Just a thought, would love some feedback.

Barry & Mark, thanks for the feedback.

Re: BAR, an alternative to STAR for quality control of the shops

Banned
I like your idea a whole lot better than STAR. But then again, ANY idea is better than STAR. My first question would be, "Why wait till the smog is done?" Why not just have a real smog smart PR1 watch you smog it the first time? Unfortunately, many or most PR1s are not too bright. I would say that 10 -15% of the ones I've met, could actually function as techs. It might be easier for them, with your idea in mind, to video you doing your job. Then later have a PR3 or 4 watch the video, and give you a score. That way the ignorant PR1s wouldn't come up with idiotic criticisms, and interfere with the flow of things while you work. I would gladly trade STAR for this. But then again, I really know what I'm doing. A newbie might turn this idea into a 2 hour smog, to make sure he passes. This is reasonable, in my opinion.