BAR is accusing me of clean plugging a Prius.

BAR is accusing me of clean plugging a Prius.

On 4/11/2016 I certified a 2007 Toyota Prius. I manually entered or scanned from document VIN JTDKB20UX73249223. The license plate was INRZ.

The eVIN was not transmitted and the protocol sent during the test was KWPS**. The PID count was 21/11/8/17/10/9.

The expected protocol was ICAN11bt5 with a PID of 37/21/17, 38/21/17 or 38/21/5.

And that's it. 1 test with incorrect data sent, no other evidence, and I am accused of fraud and they want to revoke my license. The other tech at the shop got a few more so maybe they threw me in for fun. I am pretty sure I had the DAD in the wrong car, sucks I didn't catch it and resmog the right car.

Re: BAR is accusing me of clean plugging a Prius.

Best Answer I Can Give
 I vehicle. Just ONE? sounds like a reach. WTF you are not allowed to make a mistake?
Hey they want to put the kid away on ONE picture. One that could or could not be a mistake.

 Now if they have you on 10 that is different.
A Sex Crimes detective told me on my kids thing, "One picture? We only are to go after 3 have been downloaded"
If you don't want someone to "Get your Goat". Don't tell them where it is tied.

Re: BAR is accusing me of clean plugging a Prius.

Is it possible that another tech used your name and password?

Is it possible that the vehicle had an emulator installed?   Was there another car there at the time that used the KWP2000 protocol?   If there wasn't another vehicle with KWP2000, then I would ask to call back that vehicle and inspect it.

Re: BAR is accusing me of clean plugging a Prius.

defective
Right?  Shouldnt BAR have to at least verify these claims by calling the vehicle back to be inspected by the Ref?

Re: BAR is accusing me of clean plugging a Prius.

We've got a pretty good defense going, boss wants me to not post the details here though.

This is what I have been warning people about, we need to change the legislature so that mistakes are not mistakenly judged as fraud.

Re: BAR is accusing me of clean plugging a Prius.

BasicTech678
it was a while back but pull up your vir's from that day and narrow it down to the possible vehicle you accidentally smogged. if the prius recived a certification that means, the car you used may have not recived the tags since there dmv cert went to the prius.  also attempt to get the prius back in the shop and restest it as is to show its would have passed as is. which i assume you probably have. good luck f the bar.

Re: BAR is accusing me of clean plugging a Prius.

 My QUESTION to the BAR would be WHY?

 Why do we do Smog Check? PEOPLE CHEAT.
Why would I cheat just one car? To make money? Hell I can make more money by NOT CHEATING. So why should I cheat one car?
If you don't want someone to "Get your Goat". Don't tell them where it is tied.

Re: BAR is accusing me of clean plugging a Prius.

Smogtech
thanks for the head up, and hope the best for you and your co-workers.

Re: BAR is accusing me of clean plugging a Prius.

My QUESTION to the BAR would be WHY?

 Why do we do Smog Check? PEOPLE CHEAT.
Why would I cheat just one car? To make money? Hell I can make more money by NOT CHEATING. So why should I cheat one car?
the price has sky rocketed when it was only the bar97 it was like a normal smog, everyone was doing them for the low 100-200

since ois prices went up to 350 for ois, up to 500 for a star smog. yes the money sounds good. but i rather go low and slow it will add up eventually. the reason i was NEVER interested in crooked smogs is customers will feel entitled to you doing it every time and for everyone they know.  i also looked forward to the future i knew techonology would catch up and then the day would come to tell all your crooked smog customer sorry i cant do it. now what they gonna do it takes one of them to tell on you and your done.  alot of the crooked smog stations have stopped and i image they are holding their breath sucks to be in that position. and for those wonder how i know, car flippers they know all the connections. they bring me the clean cars because im local they send the rest about 300 miles away.

https://www.bar.ca.gov/pdf/accusations/ea-152160.pdf

another reason i was never interested in crooked smogs, i seen first hand the consequences the guy above was still working at a shop i started at, he was just a repair tech. he was working at a test only shop grossing 2k a week plus his regular wages. A TEST ONLY, he told me his get down, he would lie tell them you will fail for ect reason but offer to pass it for 200 more or less. he got caught , lost 2 houses, his wife left him. i seen the stress he was under it was horrible he had to become a R/R tech and he hated it. most cars in the shop were clunkers which made it worse. we would car pool and you could feel how much he hated his life, hated being greasy, hated the bar, moved back with his parents. paid huge fines, i believe the mental part of it is worse than any fine. he felt he had it all and lost it faster then he could have ever thought. he also had to flip on his boss which the both flipped on each other. i believe investigation started when an employee got let go received the shit end of the stick in the scheme.

Re: BAR is accusing me of clean plugging a Prius.

Best Answer I Can Give
 I can make more money being clean than I can cheating. May take me longer to make more. But I will still be making it when the cheater will be HUNGRY.

 My whole problem with D's deal. ONE CAR? ONE? Who say's some one else didn't mess with the computer?
If you don't want someone to "Get your Goat". Don't tell them where it is tied.

Re: BAR is accusing me of clean plugging a Prius.

Sorry to hear but did I hear you correctly that you may have plugged the DAD in the wrong car? If so you just admitted the accusation.

Re: BAR is accusing me of clean plugging a Prius.

Best Answer I Can Give
 This all goes back to, Why the F didn't the OIS fail it then and there?
If you don't want someone to "Get your Goat". Don't tell them where it is tied.

Re: BAR is accusing me of clean plugging a Prius.

I don't remember what happened, if the protocol is indeed wrong that is the most likely thing to have happened. I did not intentionally commit fraud. Is one mistake in 12 years a good enough reason to revoke my license? Furthermore, is this what we want from our smog program? If the OIS can bitch about mileage and MIL functionality, why does it not stop the user from making a similar mistake? Wait, it does now have the capacity to do fail cars like that, what is different in my situation?

Re: BAR is accusing me of clean plugging a Prius.

none
Have you looked at the VIR to see if you scanned the correct VIN from the vehicle?

Re: BAR is accusing me of clean plugging a Prius.

The OIS print out says scanned from paperwork or entered manually. Which does not make sense, it should be able to say whether it saw barcode use or not.

Re: BAR is accusing me of clean plugging a Prius.

Lose weight
So will Bar eventually crack down on all mistakes like this? I remember 2 years ago a couple brought in 2 ram trucks one a gas and diesel and I accidentally smogged each one with the other trucks paperwork. I redid the inspection with the correct paperwork after that though.

Re: BAR is accusing me of clean plugging a Prius.

Best Answer I Can Give
 What gets me is, the book lady, one of the teachers at one of the local Colleges can sit and name off shops that will CLEAN.
Know they can get a Clean job done.
Why are they going after you for what could be a mistake? It's not like you do a pattern.
If you don't want someone to "Get your Goat". Don't tell them where it is tied.

Re: BAR is accusing me of clean plugging a Prius.

smog man
I thought BAR had to have video proof, before they accuse you of clean plugging? Were only human, sometimes we make mistakes. There are a few possible things, that could of caused this. Maybe the customer owns more the one Prius, and gave you the wrong paper work for that vehicle? Maybe the car was in a accident, and the bar code you scanned, didn't belong to that vehicle? Or maybe the customer, pulled a fast one on you? And maybe swapped license plates from another vehicle, sitting at home, that won't pass smog. And gave you paper from the one sitting at home, and had you smog there good vehicle, and get a cert. for the vehicle sitting at home.

Re: BAR is accusing me of clean plugging a Prius.

Best Answer I Can Give
Been talking to D will give you some answers. Don't know how to bring them up like the other guys.

 It has to do with "Administrative Law"
If you don't want someone to "Get your Goat". Don't tell them where it is tied.
12