BESTA help!!!

No One
So I have this 96 ford ranger 3.0 with a terrible record for passing smog and failing for NOX only.

This truck has jumped from shop to shop with no luck and the previous mechanics throwing in the towel and prob passing the truck illegally. This car has new o2 sensors and cats replaced by previous shops.

Now this truck is here and im determine for it to be the last shop it visits for this problem. So Ive taken my vacuum gun and am positive the egr valve is opening. I pump it while running the car on the dyno and the nox goes down. I grab my vacuum gauge and connect it to the egr vacuum line and I see there is 5hg of vacuum when I run it, but all of sudden drops out of no where, then it refuses to go back up and stays at zero. So I change the dpfe. Same thing. So I change the vacuum regulator solenoid and samething. I check the vacuum reservoir and its holding with no leaks......So I pull up my alldata and start reading up shit. See that the tps and the cps play a part. Disconnect and reconnect the TPS and while looking at the gauge and i see the needle move from 5 to 0 when disconnected and reconnected  So i think i got this!!! SO i replace the tps and the cps too just to rule that out. Connect the gauge the vacuum is at 20 and holding until it isn't 10 secs later!! I rev the rpm and it goes up but drops immediately back to zero. It wont hold  So besta, im thinking "ok, its prob the computer" I replace that and the fucker is holding vacuum and the NOX is down to nearly zero. Im thinking i got this, right? So i do the smog check and it fails for NOX!!!!!!! I check the vaccum gauge again and its holding at 10-5 for a bit before dropping.

Im stumped. Besta, do you or any of the guys here in this forum have any tips for me? At this point its not about making any money on the repair. I wanna figure this shit out and fix it. Already asked other buddies in the industry and they all said the computer, but were stumped when i told them i already swapped that.

Id also like to add that when i turn the truck off and back on, their is and holds vacuum for while before it dips..

all tips, criticisms, and sly comments welcomed.

Re: BESTA help!!!

Best Answer I Can Give
 You asked nice so try this.

 Hook up lab scope to the pieces and parts that control NOx. That includes the 02 sensor.

 What are they doing during the test?

Re: BESTA help!!!

smog frogposter
Verify that there are no exhaust leaks before the catalytic converters, even a small enough leak before the catalyst coming from a donut gasket may affect NOX emissions.

Re: BESTA help!!!

Can you see on the scan tool if the computer is still commanding the EGR solenoid on even when it drops off ?

Re: BESTA help!!!

Best Answer I Can Give
 Thank you. Some one else gets it.
Look at the electronics before you replace the Computer.

 The only thing I might argue with, None, I was taught to go DIRECTLY to the component. The computer is try to command on, so the scanner may say GOOD. The computer may say turn it on but, is the component getting the signal.
 I was taught to do BOTH.

 But HELL yes, look at the signals to and from FIRST.

Re: BESTA help!!!

No One
My scanner won't show that, NONE. This is a 96 truck and my cheap scanner is a generic obd2 reader only.

And im checking the wiring right now at the egr vacuum regulator.

Re: BESTA help!!!

You asked nice so try this.

 Hook up lab scope to the pieces and parts that control NOx. That includes the 02 sensor.

 What are they doing during the test?
oK, the signal cuts off for some odd reason. I have my voltmeter hooked up at the computer and its sending signal until it just stops and just doesn't. Ill turn off the car for a bit, start it up, and its back to normal for a min.

Re: BESTA help!!!

Ok.  Now what to do.
I suggest bringing it to a specialty electrical shop with dyno and let them handle it.
I think you need someone who is an expert in wavelength diagnosis.
Good luck

Re: BESTA help!!!

The likelihood of the computer being bad is not very high start with the basics make sure there's no exhaust leaks. What's the overall condition of the engine can you hear the timing chain is it a possibility that you have an internal timing issue? Also what's the compression Knox as a result of combustion temperature. Is the EGR system functioning correctly did someone possibly try repairing this thing and put a wrong EGR valve on this thing? Start with the basics sounds like this thing's had a lot of Identifix shotgun fixing done to it

On Fri, May 1, 2020, 12:14 PM No One [via Stop The Star Program] <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

http://stop-the-star-program.3084.x6.nabble.com/BESTA-help-tp5080679.html

Re: BESTA help!!!

Best Answer I Can Give
 Voltmeter? Tells me you do not have the PROPER tools.
LAB scope. You NOTICE, Everything that Scanner post with info has a LAB scope picture? LAB scopes tells you when it happens.
Do you have a AMP probe?

 I can not tell you how to fix it. Nobody can without the right equipment.
Something is telling the solenoid\controller to shut off. (That is if I read it right) Is the solenoid getting hot, drawing to much amp and the computer is protecting itself and shutting down that solenoid?
It is not a exhaust problem.

 Does it EFFECT one or does it Effect all.

Re: BESTA help!!!

Re: BESTA help!!!

Best Answer I Can Give
 Sorry BARELY a LA city School Grad. i Pronounce Effect.

Re: BESTA help!!!

Re: BESTA help!!!

Best Answer I Can Give
 OLD Vantage. But it is two channel.

 Yes, you I and several others could fix it with a DVOM. The nice part about 2 channel is you can watch other stuff that may be causing the problem.
I like you have not used mine in YEARS.
If I was doing repair, I would buy a not so expensive scanner, but I would buy a REALLY good LAB scope.
Nice thing about the scope is you have a time line. Does the electricity DROP off, or FALL off.

 A LAB scope let's you watch what is going on.

Re: BESTA help!!!

i got one of those too, what are they called?.....the,  ah shit i can't remember, but the database still comes in handy, especially if somebody is watching you work!  On a 96 ranger!

EDIT: Heritage! That's what they call those

EDIT AGAIN  I thought you were talking about a Vantage  i just reread your post and saw that it was a 2 ch dvom, which i don't even know what that is! Does it read v/c at the same time or something?
If it ain't broke, break it.

Re: BESTA help!!!

Troll wrote
Ok.  Now what to do.
I suggest bringing it to a specialty electrical shop with dyno and let them handle it.
I think you need someone who is an expert in wavelength diagnosis.
Good luck
Thnx to everyone and besta for the responses. I sent it to an electrical shop. I already checked for exhaust leaks. Its like I pointed out, it passes nox when the computer is sending signal to the egr solenoid. Nox goes up once the signal cuts out along with the vacuum.

Re: BESTA help!!!

That sucks--I was rooting for you because i'm the same way, but you gotta draw the line I know.  you always learn something though, even if you got to bail.  if I had an opportunity to work with michael or some others around here for a couple of months i'd do it for free
If it ain't broke, break it.

Re: BESTA help!!!

No One
tampered wrote
That sucks--I was rooting for you because i'm the same way, but you gotta draw the line I know.  you always learn something though, even if you got to bail.  if I had an opportunity to work with michael or some others around here for a couple of months i'd do it for free
I was hoping id be the guy to crack it, but sometimes you have to know when to throw in the towel. And its like I said, I wasn't hoping to shake up the customer for every cent out of their pockets. At this point I was checking and running it on the dyno for free

Re: BESTA help!!!

Re: BESTA help!!!

Best Answer I Can Give
 Ok it has been way to long. DVOM. Digital Voltage Ohm Meter, Right.
A LAB Scope will let you follow what the voltage did and does.

 Way to many years of Test Only.
All I know is when I need to fix my own I get out that Scanner. Read the code and then go to the LAB Scope to see what the electricity is doing.

 I DO know Electricity MUST FLOW. So find out what makes it start and stop.