BESTA help!!!

Re: BESTA help!!!

Best Answer I Can Give
 Now as far as to what you did, I think you BLEW IT.
FIX the damn thing for free. Fix it after hours. You sent it to another shop. How did that shop learn?

 You may have given away money now, but next time after you have LEARNED? They will be sending them to YOU. More money in your pocket.
You KNOW your SHIT, you can DEMAND your price.  KNOWLEDGE COST

Re: BESTA help!!!

Vantage=scope + 2ch dvom

2 ch dvom=?

AH!

scope= 2ch dvom - Vantage
The only thing about wearing a mask that bothers me is that the girls are a lot friendlier.

Re: BESTA help!!!

Egr transducer pipe/hose plugged/defective?
Most times its simple except?

Re: BESTA help!!!

dcf1ver
You KNOW your SHIT, you can DEMAND your price.  KNOWLEDGE COST
He's right. Same goes for technicians. You can demand your salary.

 I cant remember when was the last time a shop dictated my salary......

Re: BESTA help!!!

dcf1ver
tampered wrote
Vantage=scope + 2ch dvom

2 ch dvom=?

AH!

scope= 2ch dvom - Vantage
No. The original  Vantage is a GMM. A Graphing Multimeter. Not a scope.

The Vantage Pro is an oscilloscope.

Re: BESTA help!!!

Best Answer I Can Give
 The Blunderbuss\Shotgun guys are a dime a dozen. Now the guy who KNOWS his stuff, there is the guy who is making MONEY, PLUS he is staying CLEAN.

 I will bet, Scanner makes good money. I have several guys in this town, that when everyone throws up their hands, you take it to them.

 The only one I have never seen fix is the LEAN 6cyl Jeep.

 Money is not in throwing parts, the money is in the REPUTATION. Take it to XXXXX IT WILL GET FIXED RIGHT.

Re: BESTA help!!!

dcf1ver wrote
tampered wrote
Vantage=scope + 2ch dvom

2 ch dvom=?

AH!

scope= 2ch dvom - Vapntage
No. The original  Vantage is a GMM. A Graphing Multimeter. Not a scope.

The Vantage Pro is an oscilloscope.
,,ou

it's all voltage over time, the rest is how much voltage over time you want to pay for, I was just confused about the idea of a two channel voltmeter, if it doesn't graph....never seen one.
The only thing about wearing a mask that bothers me is that the girls are a lot friendlier.

Re: BESTA help!!!

dcf1ver
tampered wrote
it's all voltage over time, the rest is how much voltage over time you want to pay for,
LoL simplified certainly,but there is more to it than that.

 The abilities and features that a scope has are what make it vastly different than a GMM and lumping them in together is misleading at best.......

tampered wrote
I was just confused about the idea of a two channel voltmeter, if it doesn't graph....never seen one.
Me neither. I cant see its usefulness if such a thing exists.

Re: BESTA help!!!

scanner
dcf1ver wrote
tampered wrote
it's all voltage over time, the rest is how much voltage over time you want to pay for,
LoL simplified certainly,but there is more to it than that.

 The abilities and features that a scope has are what make it vastly different than a GMM and lumping them in together is misleading at best.......

tampered wrote
I was just confused about the idea of a two channel voltmeter, if it doesn't graph....never seen one.
Me neither. I cant see its usefulness if such a thing exists.
I just sent this to a friend of mine to let him know that the old SnapLink software works in Win10.  You just have to use the 32bit version.  It shows the voltmeter in both digital and graphing mode.  The strength of a Vantage is that it's a GMM.   Best damn graphing multimeter ever.   Scroll over to right or open in another window/tab to see the two channel voltmeter

EDIT: I almost NEVER us the Vantage in digital mode.

Re: BESTA help!!!

dcf1ver
scanner wrote
I just sent this to a friend of mine to let him know that the old SnapLink software works in Win10.  You just have to use the 32bit version.  It shows the voltmeter in both digital and graphing mode.  The strength of a Vantage is that it's a GMM.   Best damn graphing multimeter ever.   Scroll over to right or open in another window/tab to see the two channel voltmeter

EDIT: I almost NEVER us the Vantage in digital mode.
Is that double digital volt meter in the original Vantage? I dont remember. I have one here somewhere. It mostly collects dust now.

 I outgrew it.(or rather most automotive signals outgrew it) It had a great run though!!

Re: BESTA help!!!

scanner
dcf1ver wrote
Is that double digital volt meter in the original Vantage? I dont remember. I have one here somewhere. It mostly collects dust now.
Yes, look at the list on the right,  the upper one says Ch1 and the lower one says Ch2.

 I outgrew it.(or rather most automotive signals outgrew it) It had a great run though!!
I use it all the time, it's boots up fast.  For me, it's easier to set up than my uScope.  I might bring out the Vantage Pro occasionally.  I depend on my scanners for the most part.  It used to be the other way around 20 years ago.

Re: BESTA help!!!

No One wrote
My scanner won't show that, NONE. This is a 96 truck and my cheap scanner is a generic obd2 reader only..
The next time you want to work on a Ford, you might want to use this software.

https://forscan.org/

The software is free.  It is Ford specific.  It will do bi-directional controls, graph pids, and just about anything the factory scanner will do.  You can flash with As Built data. You can code modules.  You can get unlimited support for $50 for life.  You'll have to buy an interface with both High Speed and Medium Speed CAN.   I bought this adapter early on.  $19 isn't bad to have a factory level scanner.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N18TOFB

Forscan now supports J2534 so I'm using mostly my PTPII, which is a rebadged CarDaq+.  I don't need to switch between HS and MS, my J-box does it automatically.

I can also use an Android app, but I only have access to the HS bus which includes the PCM.  That's because I only have a generic ELM327 adapter for my phone.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.astech.forscanlite&hl=en_US

Here I'm viewing EGR and other engine data while trying to run the EGR monitor.

Here's a screenshot of me checking the EVAP system on a Lincoln with a hand vacuum pump.  The software for both PC and Android is free.

Re: BESTA help!!!

dcf1ver
scanner wrote
I use it all the time, it's boots up fast.  For me, it's easier to set up than my uScope.  I might bring out the Vantage Pro occasionally.
Use it for what? It has a 1 second time base minimum. Not much detail there.

scanner wrote
 I depend on my scanners for the most part.  It used to be the other way around 20 years ago.
I agree. My scanners get used probably 90% of the time on most jobs.

Re: BESTA help!!!

scanner
dcf1ver wrote
Use it for what? It has a 1 second time base minimum. Not much detail there.
It will go down to 10ms per screen which is 1 ms per division.  Here's one that I did like 20 years ago. It's at 200ms, so it's 20ms per division.  It can do dual screen.   It didn't have a shorted driver as I stated in the description, it had an open driver.  I believe the signal is riding on the IAC signal.   I used the AESwave database program.

Depending on the situation, the Vantage is all I need.  If I want to compare CKP and CMP signals I'll use my Vantage Pro.

I agree. My scanners get used probably 90% of the time on most jobs.
Right, the scope or meter is mostly to confirm what you see on the scanner, not the first thing to grab when doing diagnosis.

Re: BESTA help!!!

Best Answer I Can Give
 Scanner do you realize that are light years ahead of some of these guys? To a few you have gone to Plaid, (Space Balls)
One of the reasons I stopped going to classes with Dean. Being Test Only he was going way beyond what I needed.

 The one thing he taught was read the code and get out the scope. Hook right to the part in question. The Computer on the vehicle WILL lie.
Had a 02 sensor one time. It had a voltage but no cross count. Got under the Motor Home and the 02 was GONE but the scanner still read voltage. It replaced it with a KNOWN.

Re: BESTA help!!!

dcf1ver
scanner wrote
dcf1ver wrote
Use it for what? It has a 1 second time base minimum. Not much detail there.
It will go down to 10ms per screen which is 1 ms per division.  Here's one that I did like 20 years ago. It's at 200ms, so it's 20ms per division.  It can do dual screen.   It didn't have a shorted driver as I stated in the description, it had an open driver.  I believe the signal is riding on the IAC signal.   I used the AESwave database program.
Oh. I stand corrected.

 Hmmmmm maybe the 1 sec time base is the max? I really forget.
 Good stuff Danny

Re: BESTA help!!!

Scanner you are a fountain of knowledge!!!! Thnx for this post, I will def be taking your advice.

Re: BESTA help!!!

Scanner do you realize that are light years ahead of some of these guys? To a few you have gone to Plaid, (Space Balls)
One of the reasons I stopped going to classes with Dean. Being Test Only he was going way beyond what I needed.

 The one thing he taught was read the code and get out the scope. Hook right to the part in question. The Computer on the vehicle WILL lie.
Had a 02 sensor one time. It had a voltage but no cross count.
It had voltage?  You were maybe looking at the bias signal?  Cross counts?  This was in the 80's?

Dean retired last year.  That is one incredible tech and instructor.   When was the last time you went to his class?  When was the last time you went to any class?  I was at one of his last classes.  We studied Network Diagnosis.  We used this book.

https://atgtraining.com/product/vehicle-network-diagnostic-strategies-2/

Scanners and vehicles have become ridiculously sophisticated.  These aren't your old man's Oldsmobile anymore.   You need to get back up to speed.  You're giving out advice that time'd out 35-40 years ago.  There's a time and place for scopes and meters.

Re: BESTA help!!!

dcf1ver wrote
 Hmmmmm maybe the 1 sec time base is the max? I really forget.
 Good stuff Danny
16 hours is the Max time base.

Is this Scoobs?

Re: BESTA help!!!