BESTA help!!!

Re: BESTA help!!!

In BESTA'S defense though, he was asked right in the title of this thread for help. He could have declined too.
I stayed out of it until "No One" bailed on the repair.

Since Besta was asked specifically, I waited until it all played out.

Would I have given different advice?  Perhaps.  It's hard to describe how to diagnose a problem on a forum such as this one.

I just had issues with using a scope as the primary tool instead of the scanner.

Re: BESTA help!!!

Best Answer I Can Give
 You notice I never told him HOW to fix it.
I told him the steps I would  take.  I was going by what I have seen and learned, and taught.

 ALWAYS as Scanner first. Read the codes and use the information given to you. Then a LAB scope as needed. Scanners buffer, They get Buffered info from a Buffered on board computer. Yes the scope is buffered but not twice.

 He also asked for me and anyone else.

 The Best Answer I can Give. My answer in NICE terms was, Get off your ass. Use the tools and the knowledge that is out there. STOP.  The world is not full of INSTANT GRATIFICATION. Learn the stuff so the next time instead of shipping it YOU FIX IT. LEARN. Be the shop that people knows as "That is the shop that KNOWS their STUFF. The Best Answer I WOULD give, and did.

Re: BESTA help!!!

dcf1ver
scanner wrote
16 hours is the Max time base.
Geez. Forget it. I remember nothing (tried looking for the Vantage, cant find it. One of the reasons I stopped using it was because the screen was starting to go out. Bottom half was all black)

scanner wrote
Is this Scoobs?
Of course. I figured the Green Bay thing gave me away long ago

Re: BESTA help!!!

You notice I never told him HOW to fix it.
I told him the steps I would  take.  I was going by what I have seen and learned, and taught.

And because of your suggestion I was able to so see that for some reason voltage would stop getting grounded out. Now to figure out why its doing that.

And scanner, I did also mention "others in this forum" in the intial post. I specifically mention besta in the title because I didn't want him coming in here and derailing this thread with his typical "bitch, we aint your google" responses(which I love by the way).

And as for the repair, well my brother went to pick up the car and once it got here it threw a p0401 code. which it wasn't before. Hook up the gauge and voltmeter and same bs. Took it back to the electrical place and he said "shit was sending a ground signal all day yesterday."

So if this guy cant figure it out, its most likely after that going to get sent to that one devil that every town has to get evaluated.

Re: BESTA help!!!

Re: BESTA help!!!

Best Answer I Can Give
 PO401? Another part of the puzzle or another clue?

 401. Part of the EGR system. Is it going to ground, and doing something to the grounds.  Back to scanners and some sort of something that reads voltage.
That is why I like the LAB scope 2 Channels. You are looking at what it is DOING.

 HELL YES. We are not your ask Google.  Do you think Scanner had Google? No he made Google. Us old "Boomers" took that time. Took the time to THINK.
In case you haven't figured it out, I'm all about making a person THINK. Use what the good Lord gave you. You passed L1 so you are not STUPID, you just want to be LAZY.

 You want to learn? ASK AWAY. You want the answer's? Dig and learn like those who know it DID.

Re: BESTA help!!!

Troll
I forgot ( being a boomer) that there was no google, you tube back in our day of fixing cars,or siri or alexa.
You're right Mr B. We had to fix them using our brains and work hands.
Totally lost on today's yoot.

Re: BESTA help!!!

Re: BESTA help!!!

Best Answer I Can Give
 Gotta be a BMW. No idea on the year.

 CAN doesn't matter. It still uses electricity, and it must FLOW.

 We learned thru hard work. Got smarter too. So can the next guy. Justa. Just a person that can do the same as we did. Just need to work at it.

Re: BESTA help!!!

Troll wrote
I forgot ( being a boomer) that there was no google, you tube back in our day of fixing cars,or siri or alexa.
You're right Mr B. We had to fix them using our brains and work hands.
Totally lost on today's yoot.
I remember my dad always going to the those big bulky Books when trying to look up diagrams and shit. I used to hate.

Re: BESTA help!!!

dcf1ver
YEAH, But in those days you didn't have CAN communication in cars either you just stuck your feet out the bottom and ran really fast like the Flintstones right?

Question for you, without using Google, What car company was the first to use CAN communication and bonus if you know what model and a double bonus if you ever worked on one.
Im certain it was Mercedes in the late 80s maybe? Dont know what model.

Re: BESTA help!!!

none
1991 BMW 850i.

If you ever drop the exhaust system on one don't mix up the O2 sensor leads (which is easy to do) or it will drive one back of the V12 lean and one rich because they are getting the wrong signals. I found that after looking into someone else mistake and it wouldn't pass smog.

EDIT I'm wrong and SCOOBS is right. It was Mercedes in 1991 that was apparently the first. I always thought it was BMW. I did Google search that now.

Re: BESTA help!!!

dcf1ver
none wrote
1991 BMW 850i.

If you ever drop the exhaust system on one don't mix up the O2 sensor leads (which is easy to do) or it will drive one back of the V12 lean and one rich because they are getting the wrong signals. I found that after looking into someone else mistake and it wouldn't pass smog.

EDIT I'm wrong and SCOOBS is right. It was Mercedes in 1991 that was apparently the first. I always thought it was BMW. I did Google search that now.
I didnt Google search(honest)

 I learned about it around 10-15 years ago in a Dean Parsons class.

Re: BESTA help!!!

 Well one thing for sure it was not a vehicle with Lucas.

 The English drink warm beer because Lucas made the refrigerators.

Re: BESTA help!!!

Re: BESTA help!!!

Best Answer I Can Give
 Yes, but not when you wanted them.

 The new 3 position Lucas switch. Dim, Fizzle and Off.

Re: BESTA help!!!

Re: BESTA help!!!

Best Answer I Can Give
 One thing I have found MOST interesting about this whole back and forth, YOU DON'T LIKE ME.
Tell you why. I don't care for shop's like yours.
Will not open a book\Look it up for yourself. Buy and use the RIGHT equipment. Basically will not SPEND the COST of what it takes to be a GREAT shop. You are just in this for the "Big Bucks"
 The post about the Opus tax. Ask the person who does your books. Wait I'm to cheap to hire a person. The accountant would have told you it is a TAX on real property.

 The shop's that thinks, just like Sheri Mahl, thought "Hey this is easy. Any one can do this. Why are they making that type of MONEY."
IT AIN'T THAT EASY. It COST time and money to be a good shop. Time away from your family to LEARN to be a GREAT shop. Yet you want that money that could happen if you would do what it COST.
 Hate looking in books? Buy a online deal. Then if you are not using it to make money and be a better shop, you are wasting MONEY. Shit to have a On line like you guys do today.

 This sh!t is NOT easy. This Sh!t is not instant Gratification. But you want the INSTANT MONEY.

 One of the reason I am not liked. I WILL NOT BE NICE WHEN I TELL YOU THE TRUTH. And when some one proves I am wrong, I WILL ADMIT IT.

Re: BESTA help!!!

Troll
I always hated having to buy new books and updates each year, but that was the cost of doing PROFESSIONAL business.
Dropping an exhaust on a 850 bmw was and is way above my knowledge, pay, liability grade, and common sense grade.
I like (not on the fred sanford hand motion way) the besta person.
Straight, experienced shooter.
Ps- asking for help online on how to fix a car is almost always a disaster.

Re: BESTA help!!!

Everyone here loves you so much that you were given your own pinned thread xoxoxo<3
Best Answer I Can Give wrote
 One of the reason I am not liked. I WILL NOT BE NICE WHEN I TELL YOU THE TRUTH. And when some one proves I am wrong, I WILL ADMIT IT.
1234