BMW

007
This might have been discussed here before, can't recall but worth mentioning, had a 2008 5 series BMW in, put the vehicle in drive and started to move forward and the vehicle jumped into park, this happened 4 times before the custimor got involved and said that has never happened before let me try and the same thing happened, she put the seat belt on and all was fine. So if the seat isn't on vehicle jumps into park.

I have done a lot of BMW's and never seen this, my question to everyone is can this feature be programmed to work or not work by the custimor or dealership?

Re: BMW

ozzey
Was the hood, trunk or any doors opened?

I had this happen a few times with me, all the time that it had happened was because the hood was open. I believe its a safety feature on BMWs. Whenever I prepare testing or move a later model Bimmer around in the parking lot, I make sure all doors and hood are fully CLOSED.

Re: BMW

kfworry
ozzey is 100% right on the BMW safety features.
I've seen them on some BMW's if the hood is open and so forth.
Good feedback.

Re: BMW

jvolman
I remeber the first smg m3 i smogged many years ago, Took me 30 minutes to figure out if the hood was open car wont go anywhere

Re: BMW

007
No this vehicle was straight up a seat belt issue, hood was closed had never been opened and the doors were shut.

Re: BMW

smog man
This post was updated on .
A lot of the newer BMW will slam it into park, if you open the drivers door, when the vehicle is in motion. I suppose maybe there using the seatbelt on some of the models. I've personally never had a seatbelt do this.

Re: BMW

simpleman510
i remember my first one that kicked outta drive just because the door wasnt latched all the way....talk about an oh shit moment

Re: BMW

smog man
I personally think there going over board with this safety crap, on the new cars. The stuff there putting on these new vehicles, is creating bad drivers. People are relying on this safety crap too much. And not paying attention to there driving, and the other people who have to use the road too.

Re: BMW

kfworry
The auto industry is being forced to "dummy" the vehicles by the stupid lawmakers.

Re: BMW

Hood was open that's why..

Re: BMW

Citation Addict
If its the tip tronic transmission all the doors including the hood have to be closed Its just a safety feature.. I ran into this very same thing a while back.

Re: BMW

Started on the e46 M3 SMG as I recall, we used to get phone calls from other techs around 5:30, couldn't get the car to start. Interesting that it was only on the SMG, they used to assume manual driver's were intelligent enough to deal with a loose hood on their own.