BMW wont start after IOS

Dinh
Yesterday I had a BMW 2007 328i came in for a smog check. While the engine was running during the ios test, it shuts off by itself. I thought this was a new feature added for BMW and continue to finish the test. After the test was done and the car passed, I tried to start the car to move it. It cranks but will not start. After 10 mintutes later the customer got it to start again. He called Dinan and they confirmed a similar thing happened with the same car.

Re: BMW wont start after IOS

none
It is common and only on the 2007 3 series and they will restart after about 5 - 10 minutes. There have been several threads here about this. Here is one http://stop-the-star-program.3084.x6.nabble.com/BMW-td5023666.html

Re: BMW wont start after IOS

and here's another one......

http://stop-the-star-program.3084.x6.nabble.com/2007-BMW-No-Start-td5032859.html

Re: BMW wont start after IOS

I thought OIS software update solved this issue...

Re: BMW wont start after IOS

BasicTech678
07 328I just turned off on the dot when it completed obd check. same as the last one this time i remembered to post it lol, its happened to me about 3-4 times usually all 3 series. i just lock the doors and wait it should start right up in ten min

Re: BMW wont start after IOS

Hard Nox
Only 2007 328i

Happens all the time. At this point I just consider normal.
Everybody that could do something about it does nothing.

I believe write ups on IATN regarding this vehicle.

Expect it to happen, Stall for Time and do what you can to not alarm the owner of the 2007 BMW 328i.

Re: BMW wont start after IOS

Troll
Any BMW owner is going to get "alarmed.
Expect a phone call in 1 year that their sunroof stopped working ever since you smogged it.
No shit.
Happened to me.
Told her to have a nice day and whatever she was going to ask me for the answer is no, and I hung up

Re: BMW wont start after IOS

jvolman
turn car off completely, take key out, close door, lock car, open door, insert key, fires right up.  knock on wood has always worked for me so far.  No 10 minute wait

Re: BMW wont start after IOS

 Troll, I had a PR 2 come out and do a "I'm going to watch you do a inspection" on me.
He wanted me to take shit apart. Lift this up, undo this, undo that.

 HE DIDN'T get it. The more you put your hands on a vehicle, the MORE YOU MADE IT FAIL. YOU BROKE IT.
If you don't want someone to "Get your Goat". Don't tell them where it is tied.

Re: BMW wont start after IOS

Troll
I'm ok with a hands on inspection as long as its not a early 80's, or late 70s american truck with no decal.
Give me a 00 4runner. Eyes closed.

Re: BMW wont start after IOS

yup i think its only this model and year, its the fob style that you still need to insert before pressing the push start button, i just remove key lock doors and resume inspection. bmw owners are usually very concerned with anything that happens with the car. i just resume with the inspection by the time im done it fires right up, i dont try right away like the first time it happened to me then the customer will get spooked if they hear it crank 2-3 times with out firing up. i attempt the eliminate that by just waiting, never have had to disconnect anything

Re: BMW wont start after IOS

This is just like the second gen MINI ASM MIL debacle. Problem happens, people let BAR know, no one at BAR passes info to people that need it. At least it happens at the end of the test, otherwise we would have the OIS yelling at us that idle RPM wasn't detected.

Re: BMW wont start after IOS

fartvalve
Had one prompt me for CEL check. CEL functioned good. Got the message “you selected blah, blah”
Shit fail smog. Car wouldn’t start and owner was motherfucking me...
I have chronic pain because stupid hurts!

Re: BMW wont start after IOS

fartvalve wrote
Had one prompt me for CEL check. CEL functioned good. Got the message “you selected blah, blah”
Shit fail smog. Car wouldn’t start and owner was motherfucking me...
Something similar happened to me on a 2011 Nissan Versa the other day.  P0605 was in the mix too, but everything was so intermittent and random.  Too bad I haven't got my forehead cam yet, or I would have shared with y'all ... maybe next time ...

Re: BMW wont start after IOS

If you monitor the pids and data blocks you will see the fact that the vehicle thinks its being stolen. And i have had windows and sunroof failures additionaly. In certain situations I have had to perform a relearn on the affected systems.