Best scanner

San Jose Tech
What is the best hand held scanner to read drive cycles
Retesting permanent code
Miles
Warm up cycles
Thanks in advance

Re: Best scanner

No One
I use a $20 one that i bought from o'reillys

Re: Best scanner

Samy
I use the Smog machine ESP Gen3. Plug it in check for monitors and print. You would see the info what your looking for.

Re: Best scanner

San Jose Tech wrote
What is the best hand held scanner to read drive cycles
Retesting permanent code
Miles
Warm up cycles
Thanks in advance
I can't help you with one for doing drive cycles.

I use my Autel AL519 for checking the miles and warm-ups for permanent codes. The I/M button is handy for checking monitors but it is SLOW. It also give manufacturer specific code definitions.  https://www.amazon.com/Autel-AL519-AutoLink-Enhanced-Reader/dp/B007XE5LTG/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=autel+al519&qid=1598469899&sr=8-5

I use my Autel AL519 for checking the miles and warm-ups for permanent codes. The I/M button is handy for checking monitors but it is SLOW. It also give manufacturer specific code definitions.  https://www.amazon.com/Autel-AL519-AutoLink-Enhanced-Reader/dp/B007XE5LTG/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=autel+al519&qid=1598469899&sr=8-5
same i use the harbor fright rebranded centech (autel) scanner anything with an IM button is awsome

Re: Best scanner

none
BasicTech678 wrote
... anything with an IM button is awsome
To just read monitors I prefer to use my old INNOVA 30203. It is way faster to pull up monitors.

The 30203 is very basic and cheap but I don't think they make them anymore and I don't know if the replacement is as fast.

It also just gives a code number with no description which I like when someone wants me to read a code. When I give them the number and they ask what it means, I tell them "Google it. That's what I would do." This is usually after they fail for incomplete monitors and say the light wasn't on and when they come back after saying I drove it 100 miles and you go to get in it and the light is ON.

Re: Best scanner

Best Answer I Can Give
 To answer your question right, the answer is, THERE IS NONE.
I have owned expensive ones and cheap ones. and everything in between.  Some will read good, all monitors complete only to have it fail. Pick up a different scanner and it will tell you it has incomplete monitors.

 Lots of luck. Nice thing about the cheap one is when it get's left in a car you don't cry so bad about it. The best thing about the expensive one is, you KNOW it cost you a lot so you make sure you don't leave it in a car. Now if you have help, they don't care. They didn't pay for it so they will leave either one in a car.

Re: Best scanner

no_buckets
ancel ad410   best one ever  cheap tooo   i sell them to customers

Re: Best scanner

none
no_buckets wrote
ancel ad410   best one ever  cheap tooo   i sell them to customers
I'm going to give it a try.

Does it read data like warm-ups and miles since permanent code was cleared?

Re: Best scanner

no_buckets
yup

Re: Best scanner

San Jose Tech
Good information
Thanks ready to order one

Re: Best scanner

no_buckets wrote
ancel ad410   best one ever  cheap tooo   i sell them to customers
I got mine from Amazon today ($45). It's fast for checking monitors.

INNOVA 30203 takes 15 seconds on my 2000 Toyota Tacoma.

Ancel takes 16 seconds

BAFX bluetooth to my phone takes 19 seconds once everything is open and ready to go.

Autel AL519 takes 29 seconds.

Snap On Solus Ultra takes 1 minute 28 seconds if you hit each button as soon as it pops up.

Re: Best scanner

none
I have been using the heck out of my new ANCEL AD410 and really liking it but I have one gripe. This thing will undo a zero point calibration on a 2003-2005 Toyota 4Runner and set the VSC and ABS light like clock work. I can recalibrate them with my Snap On scan tool but if I remember I will keep using my INNOVA code reader or the DREW TECH HELPER for those.

Re: Best scanner

I have been using the heck out of my new ANCEL AD410 and really liking it
I got one too.  It actually works well.  I watched the front O2 sensors on a GMC Truck.

I reads Readiness Indicator fast.  If it had communicated via CAN the last scan, it will instantly display readiness on the next car if it has the same CAN.   It remembers the last comm protocol.   I might lend it out to good customers to check on their Readiness Indicators.   I'd want a $50 deposit though.

Re: Best scanner

No One
scanner wrote
none wrote
I have been using the heck out of my new ANCEL AD410 and really liking it
I got one too.  It actually works well.  I watched the front O2 sensors on a GMC Truck.

I reads Readiness Indicator fast.  If it had communicated via CAN the last scan, it will instantly display readiness on the next car if it has the same CAN.   It remembers the last comm protocol.   I might lend it out to good customers to check on their Readiness Indicators.   I'd want a $50 deposit though.
Scanner, your the best scanner!

Re: Best scanner

SmogAce
For 60 buck I really love the Autel Autolink AL519

Quickly checks monitors and gives better descriptions for diesels. Permanent and pending dtc's and warm-up cycles.  And its has some cool live features like fuel trim.

Re: Best scanner

none
 I have an Autel Autolink AL519 also and like it but the ANCEL AD410 is WAY faster when you hit the I/M button for monitors.

Re: Best scanner

SmogAce
none wrote
I have an Autel Autolink AL519 also and like it but the ANCEL AD410 is WAY faster when you hit the I/M button for monitors.
Damn! This thing is super fast, that ANCEL must be lightning. Cheaper too I believe.  getting it!!

Re: Best scanner

Hard Nox
I have a question for you none about  zero point calibration.

Are you referring to the Steering Angle Sensor?

I picked up an ANCEL AD410 last week after reading this thread.  I like it for quick Smog Check stuff.
Don't want to get in a jam while quick scanning a Toyota or some other unknown vehicle with this handy quick tool.

The AD410 packs a lot for an inexpensive low end scan tool. Looks like it is programable for some unknown info or updates.  Like I said only had it for about a week, still testing it out with caution.

Re: Best scanner

none
Hard Nox wrote
I have a question for you none about  zero point calibration.

Are you referring to the Steering Angle Sensor?
YES

I think SCANNER figured out why I am seeing this with the ANCEL and not the AUTOLINK. The ANCEL starts with the last protocol you used so if it was a CAN car it will start with that but that causes a problem with these Toyotas. The AUTOLINK always runs up through the list from the old protocols so it connects before it ever gets to CAN.

I would say just don't plug it into a 2003-2005 4Runner and you should be OK but that is easier said than done. I know not to plug the OIS into a MAZDA 3 or MX5 with the key on but every so often I still do it and set a check engine light (U code) and have to go through my start>idle for 20 second>shut off 4 times, to get it back off.