Big tires on dyno....reject

Able
I feel bad for the guy. He called and asked if my shop does 1999 and older. He's currently at a shop that doesn't smog 1999 and older.

He shows up with 33x10r15 tires. I explained that it's too big for the dyno. And rpm won't read correctly.

I was tempted to TSI the car....but it's not all wheel drive. No traction control either.

That happens to you guys? How do these guys (customers) get their car smog legally?

Re: Big tires on dyno....reject

Best Answer I Can Give
 I feel the ding once in a while is good. It proves you are not afraid of the BAR. The shop that has no dings? Now that is the shop that is CALL IT WHAT YOU WANT. I call it cheating.
You don't ever miss a evap. In fact you do every car that comes in CHEATING, That shop has a gas tank that is a KNOW GOOD TANK. 100% of the cars he test? Some cars you just can't test.

 BAR ever gives me crap about IGS, I will ask them, do you have hands on proof I ran the vehicle in the wrong gear?
Maybe the vehicle because of what the vehicle owner did will not let me run it like the other 90%

 That is why so many are on appeal. The State has no PROOF.

Re: Big tires on dyno....reject

iha

Re: Big tires on dyno....reject

iha
The REF will tell the customer that the vehicle must be in compliance to smog. That means put stock tires on!

Me, I watch the RPM and if it looks good I finish the smog....

Re: Big tires on dyno....reject

I just run them. If I get a few dings its OK. I never get dinged for Toyota trucks and you would be hard pressed to find a stock height one around here. My IGS dings are for manual trans entered as auto.

I just tested a Jeep CJ7 with 38" tires about an hour ago.

Re: Big tires on dyno....reject

I have never turned away a car/truck for tire size.
Just use the wheels chocks and dont throttle up too fast.

Re: Big tires on dyno....reject

locopoco
I do them all the time and charge more for wear and tear on my dyno,they can take it or leave it.

Re: Big tires on dyno....reject

My Name is Nobody
Big, small or lowrider tires, I do them all.

Re: Big tires on dyno....reject

Kriss Vector

Re: Big tires on dyno....reject

Best Answer I Can Give
 The one we will NOT do. The Doughnut tire.

Re: Big tires on dyno....reject

The one we will NOT do. The Doughnut tire.
I have. Its never the ones I expect that give me a ding.

Re: Big tires on dyno....reject

ThePharmacist
So far I haven't had problems with big tire trucks. I had once aborted a scraper with those giant 25" rims because the rpms were over 3000 when I was running it on the dyno. After that I usually reject those kinds of cars

Re: Big tires on dyno....reject

Its kind of funny. I just looked at my short term measures and I have dings for IGS for a 1989 Jeep Wrangler and a 1990 Chevy K1500. Both are very common to have tire size and gear ratio changes. When I went to the two STAR work shops in Sacramento Patrick said that cars that commonly get altered would get such a large variance that it wouldn't score against you. He used a Ford Mustang as an example of one that wouldn't score against you because they often have gear ratio changes he said. Along with the two four wheel drives I listed above I have a ding for a 1997 Mustang also.