Biggest problems running a shop

derek
I stumbled on this site while looking for an interesting project/problem to work on. I am a software engineer and recently got my car smogged. The process wasn't as smooth as it could have been for me which is what led me to look into the industry.

You guys do the job every day so you know the pain points well. I thought I would at least drop a message in here to ask the following:

What are the biggest issues (other than ill informed BAR regulations ) that you fight with every day?

Examples might be: finding customers, customer behavior, paperwork, FPR calculation transparency, BAR-OIS system issues etc.

Re: Biggest problems running a shop

D Rochells 150861
Serena and Lily customers that want to block our driveway, park in our lot, or bring their dogs in to pee on our blackberry patch.

Re: Biggest problems running a shop

MikesFB6
BAR

Re: Biggest problems running a shop

defective
cheapsmogcheck.com

Re: Biggest problems running a shop

 Mr derek, one example and you think you can make it better. Posting on a site tells me one should do some leg work. This shop runs very smoooooth. Unless you can figure out how to reprogram STUPID people. Thanks but no thanks.

 Talk to people face to face is a much better way I feel.

Re: Biggest problems running a shop

Newbiesmogtech
Resources that aren't accurate, cost of business going up while prices are the same they were years ago. Having a Bureau that oversees us always being against us instead of with us.

Re: Biggest problems running a shop

805smogtech
Customers that don't understand the program or why it was created. Having to explain monitor failures to dense people. Or having to explain why we do a visual. Explaining why it failed for tampered (and how to correct). Its made me somewhat more of a people person though having to explain failures of various types

But my biggest problem most days (since i don't run the shop and am just another employee) is when people park their junk so either i can't get into my bay, or I can't get out of my bay. Most people don't seem to understand how to park between the lines. I think it stems from not being able to color in-between the lines as kids?

Re: Biggest problems running a shop

People that want everything for free and cry when they fail to comprehend why their cars wont pass..

Ohh and the lack of competition of companies making the smog machines we use. Mainly the BAR97.

Re: Biggest problems running a shop

Oh my God I’m so intrigued to talk to you, are you a SJW?

Re: Biggest problems running a shop

derek
What are the resources you are referring to here? The BAR software?

Re: Biggest problems running a shop

derek wrote
...The process wasn't as smooth as it could have been for me...
Would you care to elaborate on that?

We see our shops from the filter of the business side and sometimes use terminology that the customers don't understand. In the beginning I had asked a few customers for input on things like advertising terminology but I have gotten settled into my ways over the years so it would be nice to get input from the outside.

Examples might be: finding customers, customer behavior, paperwork, FPR calculation transparency, BAR-OIS system issues etc.
i feel a sales pitch coming on

Re: Biggest problems running a shop

Newbie707
Name another industry where you make one mistake and that’s it for you’re  business, license and shop they want us to be perfect like robots and on top of dealing with BAR you gotta deal with all the other BS that comes with running you’re own business it’s not  easy

Re: Biggest problems running a shop

derek
Would you care to elaborate on that?
Sure. A little context will probably help frame the discussion.

I am a guy in my 30s and like many around my age my phone is my first stop when looking to find any service I need.

Short on time, I quickly Yelped for a smog station and filtered for a place that was open. Lots of stations in results but none stuck out so I just pick one with online scheduling. I can’t recall if there was a coupon or price listed but price was not really my concern.

So I schedule it through a pretty buggy website. When I show up at the station for the appointment I don’t really know how to check in. The address is to the street facing office is not where the garage is but I eventually find it but wished the appt. confirmation email had mentioned this.

The tech seems to have no knowledge of the appointment and has me fill out a paper form with all the same information. He finishes up another customer he tests my car quickly and tells me the vehicle passes.

To determine what to charge me however, he has to ask how I found his station. I tell him yelp and he asks me if $35 is right. I answer ‘yes' though I wasn’t really sure. I pay and I am out the door.

I wouldn’t call it a bad experience, but it seemed to me there were opportunities for improvement. Searching for the shop was easy. Booking/checking-in seemed inefficient however and pricing/payment also seemed a little sloppy. If the tech had told me it was going to cost twice that amount I don't think I would have cared, I was there for convenience not price.

Re: Biggest problems running a shop

D Rochells 150861
You seem to have lived a life free of the headaches of owning and maintaining an older car on a limited budget. There is no standard smog smog model, they get stuffed in wherever they can fit. Usually run by one over worked, inept, possibly corrupt guy who needed to take a piss 5 cars ago. He didn't check your appointment cause like you his generation is always on the phone. Pricing is fluid because we culturally appropriated haggeling and the guy down the street will always do it for less. And it's almost pointless trying to have a nice clean well run operation for most owners, the risk of making a mistake or having your unsupervised tech do something illegal and getting shut down is too high.

I wouldn’t call it a bad experience, but it seemed to me there were opportunities for improvement. Searching for the shop was easy. Booking/checking-in seemed inefficient however and pricing/payment also seemed a little sloppy. If the tech had told me it was going to cost twice that amount I don't think I would have cared, I was there for convenience not price.
LMAO it passed and was under $55 which is normal around here good day sir, automotive repair shops are the least up to date with self serve appointments, fancy tablets to sign in ect. you will be lucky if you get a smile and a place to sit. FREE WIFI good luck with that.

Re: Biggest problems running a shop

Newbie707 wrote
Name another industry where you make one mistake and that’s it for you’re  business, license and shop they want us to be perfect like robots and on top of dealing with BAR you gotta deal with all the other BS that comes with running you’re own business it’s not  easy
who forced you to be a smog tech?

and massage parlors get detectives all the time to get rub n tugs when they get caught they get shut down, fined and thrown in jail. many other professions as well you can always become a CNA or nurses assistant even a truck driver.

Re: Biggest problems running a shop

 Dererk reread what you put down. THE GUY. Unless you can reprogram people you are wasting time.

Re: Biggest problems running a shop

KeepItReal
805smogtech wrote
But my biggest problem most days (since i don't run the shop and am just another employee) is when people park their junk so either i can't get into my bay, or I can't get out of my bay. Most people don't seem to understand how to park between the lines. I think it stems from not being able to color in-between the lines as kids?
I have noticed people will do that if they think there car will fail. Psychologist call it being passive aggressive.
There being aggressive by blocking the bay, and acting passive by saying, oh i didn't know that if i parked blocking your bay you couldn't have backed out.
Almost evertime some one has done that here there check engine light is on or they have just discontinued the battery.

Re: Biggest problems running a shop

I am one of the few smog shops who take appointments and MY problem definitely is NOT being able to get customers to make an appointment, it is getting them to keep or show up on time for an appointment. The older the car is the more likely they are a flake.

I know people in a wide variety of retail and service businesses and I can tell you that the ones with really nice maintained web sites pay monthly what is beyond the advertising budget of most smog shops.