C.A.R.B. section 95550 Title 7 B.A.R. blast last night

C.A.R.B. section 95550 Title 7 B.A.R. blast last night

smoginstructor
Tell B.A.R. I said they are full of shit, A.R.B. say's you don't have to do it if you charge a small and the customer declines.  For smog purposes only you do need to air up the drive wheels when doing an ASM.  here is how the law is written.  In our useful links is the full pdf of Section 95550 Tire Pressure check and adjust.

AIR RESOURCES BOARD
DECISION OF DISAPPROVAL
OF REGULATORY ACTION
(Gov. Code, sec. 11349.3)
REGULATORY ACTION:
Title 17, California Code of
Regulations OAL File No. 2010-0204-03S
ADOPT SECTION 95550

A customer may decline the check and inflate service under the following conditions:
(A) The automotive service provider proposes a separate discrete charge for the
service; and
(B) He or she has performed (or had performed) a tire pressure check and inflate service
within the last 30 days and has provided supporting documentation to the ASP,
or
(C) He or she wil perfonn (or wil have perfonned) a tire pressure check and inflate
service within the next 7 days. (Emphasis added.)
Following the receipt of public comment on this 15 day change, the final text of subsection
(d)(5) submitted to OAL in this rulemaking for review and filing with the Secretary of State
provides simply:
A customer may decline the check and inflate service if the customer affrms one of the
following:
(A) He or she has performed (or had performed) a tire pressure check and inflate service
within the last 30 days, or
(B) He or she wil perfonn (or wil have performed) a tire pressure check and inflate
service within the next 7 days.

However, subsection (d)(6) of section 95550 of title 17 as proposed by this rulemaking
would have provided:
If a tire inflation service was not performed as provided in subsections
(d)(2-4), the automotive service provider must indicate on the vehicle service
invoice why the service was not completed.

In closing just charge and post a sign mine says:

California Air Resources Boards, section 95550 requires this repair facility to check and adjust the tire pressure on each vehicle serviced here.

You have the right to decline this service.

The fee for this service is;
$1.25 per tire.

when I tell a customer that not one has said yes.  Also include this in your invoice and state whether they approved the tire service or declined it.  Hope this help rid some confusion.   Also all the grammar errors are from the A.R.B. I left them that way so you can see who writes up our laws.

Re: C.A.R.B. section 95550 Title 7 B.A.R. blast last night

karuptrougeouttacontrol
  I am doing it the same way as you mentioned , i do have a sign posted and fee that i charge , most customers affirm that they already had it done with their oil change or affirm they will have it done and i document this on my work orders . I might have had about three customers that did want all their tires checked and inflated .Thank you for clearing this up ! As if we don't already have enough to worry about right ? We are being priced out of our shops and our licences are becoming meaningless , it seems they are trying to force us into buying repair equipment and tools .ugggg

Re: C.A.R.B. section 95550 Title 7 B.A.R. blast last night

Mark
Well I read the BLAST again. Since I am not lawyer I am not used to reading
BS like this. But After reading it several more times.... Well I typed the Blast below.

Tire Inflation Reminder.
Smog Check Service.

As specified in section 1.2.0 of the Smog Check
Inspection Procedures Manual, technicians must check that the vehicles
tires are inflated to proper pressure prior to preforming an ASM smog test.
There are no provisions to opt out of this out out of this requirement and the labor for
the tire pressure must be included in the smog check price.
Auto
Repair Service
Air Resources Board (ARB) adopted regulations  (Title 17, CCR 5550)
require shops to preform a tire pressure check when servicing a vehicle.
BAR recommends following ARB procedures. There are various
provisions within the ARB regulations , such as allowing consumers to opt
out of the tire pressure check requirement.