CAP Repair Diagnosis

Technician A
It's down to flat rate 1.5 hours. The before and after smog checks are now included in that 1.5 hours. Who the hell wants to do that job? Just had a guy come in with 3 codes - evap leak, misfire, and cat. That 1+ hour is not going to cover my time.

Re: CAP Repair Diagnosis

none
And they are always the best most understanding customers too. (heavy on the sarcasm)

Re: CAP Repair Diagnosis

smog frogposter
The worst part is the CAP customer wants you to repair the entire vehicle without paying a dime and demand to know how much the initial repair will be without paying for the diagnostic time.

Re: CAP Repair Diagnosis

scanner
smog frogposter wrote
The worst part is the CAP customer wants you to repair the entire vehicle without paying a dime and demand to know how much the initial repair will be without paying for the diagnostic time.
I like CAP money, but the last idiot wanted to know exactly how much it was going to cost to fix based on the codes.  I told him I had no idea how much the repairs will be until I performed the diagnosis.

He said, "You already looked at the codes, you're a mechanic, you should know how much it will cost"

I said, "GTFOOH"!

Re: CAP Repair Diagnosis

Technician A
I like CAP repairs also but the new procedures changes everything. Almost all the vehicles I repaired have multiple problems.

Re: CAP Repair Diagnosis

BayAreaSmogTech
Technician A wrote
It's down to flat rate 1.5 hours. The before and after smog checks are now included in that 1.5 hours. Who the hell wants to do that job? Just had a guy come in with 3 codes - evap leak, misfire, and cat. That 1+ hour is not going to cover my time.

I told the BAR rep that called me about the new changes that I wouldn't touch any vehicles that were non OIS or had multiple codes anymore. He didn't seem happy but idgaf.

They want you to do a BAR-97 pre and post test and diagnose the vehicle in 1.5 hrs. Good luck with that. My generic diag time is 1.25 hrs to start so CAP jobs just aren't worth the hassle.