CAP Vehicle Retirement

Midnightdrummer
Anyone know if there is any specific amount of time the BAR wants to see that you own the vehicle before allowing the retirement? I didn't really see any mention of this on their site, just that you had to have the title in your name and the registration can't lapse longer than 120 days.

Re: CAP Vehicle Retirement

It's implied that you need to have it your name for at least the last two years, but it stops just short of saying that:
 The vehicle must have been registered in California
for two consecutive years preceding the current
registration expiration date and the registration must
not have lapsed for more than 120 days during those
two years.
If it said "registered in California to the CAP applicant for two consecutive years" then it would be a bit more clear.

Re: CAP Vehicle Retirement

Midnightdrummer
Thats also what threw me off. Guess I can just tell them to apply anyway and see what happens. Cars been registered in CA continuously for more than two years, they just haven't owned it for two years.

Re: CAP Vehicle Retirement

tampered
When you go to Pick n Pull to drop off your car, be sure to hang out and watch how they process the fuel tanks.  At the San Jose one, they put it up on a lift and stab it with a long sharpened wreaking bar from underneath and let it dump out into a large tray.  This is all outside of course, and my eyes were bleeding at 100 yards!   God needs to send humanity in for a smog check!

Re: CAP Vehicle Retirement

It does state "vehicle cannot be going through a change of ownership".

Re: CAP Vehicle Retirement

Midnightdrummer
tampered wrote
When you go to Pick n Pull to drop off your car, be sure to hang out and watch how they process the fuel tanks.  At the San Jose one, they put it up on a lift and stab it with a long sharpened wreaking bar from underneath and let it dump out into a large tray.  This is all outside of course, and my eyes were bleeding at 100 yards!   God needs to send humanity in for a smog check!
I always hate seeing the way they treat the cars that are pretty much "cherry."

Re: CAP Vehicle Retirement

Midnightdrummer
kfworry wrote
It does state "vehicle cannot be going through a change of ownership".

Once you get the title with your name on it, its technically not undergoing a change of ownership anymore. I don't really see any mention of a time period to wait after that.

Re: CAP Vehicle Retirement

The good ones should go to special yards that only CAP repair shops have access to and can freely source parts from.