CAT with no EO number

mdpepper
i have a 2000 chevy astro with 2 cats, no number on Cat begining with a D-xxx-xxx like in the web site for after market Cats, lady said she passed last time , I failed the van defective , it has numbers , just hard to read , but no numbers starting with a D-xxx-xxx  . am I right ? also Cat monitor not ready

Re: CAT with no EO number

WhiteBag213
Sounds about right

Re: CAT with no EO number

If the cat was made before 2009 it won't have the D number but is still legal. did you check the date stamp (xx/xx) or take a picture of it?

Re: CAT with no EO number

mdpepper
numbers are not readable , i scrubbed it with a brush

Re: CAT with no EO number

mdpepper
Since January 1, 2009, ARB has required that all aftermarket catalytic converters installed in California bear an EO number. If an EO number is not present and/or the wrong converter(s) is installed, the vehicle shall fail the catalyst visual inspection.
For OBDII Equipped Vehicles, inspectors shall use the EO number and corresponding part number to verify the part is approved for use on that specific vehicle configuration (e.g., year, make, model, engine, GVWR, fuel type, etc.). To conduct this verification, inspectors must check the ARB EO Aftermarket Catalytic Converter Database located on the ARB Web site. Each EO contains a catalog listing the applicable vehicles.

Re: CAT with no EO number

none
That's what I meant by "BEFORE 2009".

Re: CAT with no EO number

For future reference if you run into one of these pre 09 with no "D-xx" https://ww3.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermktcat/amcatlabel.pdf
Exercise and dividends,dividends, DIVIDENDS.

Re: CAT with no EO number

Hard Nox
Loose Weight that is the Best explanation of Aftermarket Cats that I have found.  I keep a Printed Copy of that document handy.    Use it to  clarify Cat Requirements to customers.  Simple- Black and White document. Must have either  OBD II   or OBD 2  on those early Cats without Numbers.          Early Pre OBD II    Cats may not have any usable numbers, and are fine on those Old Installations on those Old Vehicles.

Re: CAT with no EO number

Factory catalytic converters are not going to have any number

http://stop-the-star-program.3084.x6.nabble.com/CAT-with-no-EO-number-tp5081015.html