CATS!! Again..

Evaponly818

Re: CATS!! Again..

No One
I've ran into this before with a chevy van. Look at all the engine families on the list. Some take 3 cats and other take 2. Also what does the under the hood label say?

Re: CATS!! Again..

dcf1ver
Evaponly818 wrote
Idk if this particular question has been asked before, but for example an 09 Chevy express 1500 van 5.3 originally equipped with 2 cats if I’m not mistaken. So then you look up for example EO# D-798 which is allowed on that year make n model but the arb cat page calls for 3 cats. My question is, what if customer only has one cat replaced with a D-798 and other is original. Does it now require 3 cats total?? Because you already installed an EO# that says 3 total. But truck is originally 2.
Its your job to make sure how many cats its supposed to have.

 From the info I have found,it looks like 2 cats.(admittedly I didn't look too hard and could be wrong)

Sometimes you need to look in a few places/sources of information to verify the number of cats.

Legally the customer can replace only 1 cat if they wish,but the correct number of cats must still be present.

Again thats on you to determine that number.

Re: CATS!! Again..

What is the "test group number" (engine family number) on the underhood label? I bet it is different than the two listed on the CARB page.

Is it federal? Then I would send him to the REF because there is no way that I know of to legal replace a cat if the configuration is different.
Evaponly818 wrote
... Does it now require 3 cats total?? Because you already installed an EO# that says 3 total. But truck is originally 2.
NO you can not change the number of cats from the original configuration.

"A change in the number of converters is only acceptable when it is allowed pursuant to an EO exemption."
 https://www.bar.ca.gov/pdf/2017_Smog_Check_Manual.pdf PAGE 50

Re: CATS!! Again..

2002
I feel ya, it's hard to determine but you gotta go with your gut. It sucks for you cuz your gut doesn't have a lot of experience and information. Most GM V8's only have 2 cats up near the engine on both sides. Very few I've seen that has a third one after the first 2.

Plus it's not so easy by looking at the hood label since most newer GM vehicles don't state how many and ares super basic. They just state TWC/O2S/SFI. It doesn't state 2(TWC) or 2WU-TWC/TWC.

Re: CATS!! Again..

Evaponly818

Re: CATS!! Again..

xcinlb
Sorry and this is a bit off subject, but have you heard many of the newer racy cars, Mustangs, Cameros, BMW M's etc run the engine reprogramed for those loud pops and backfires that just sound like they are blowing the hell out of the cat?  Probably see a bunch of replaced cats in these cars down the line?

Re: CATS!! Again..

805smogtech
xcinlb wrote
Sorry and this is a bit off subject, but have you heard many of the newer racy cars, Mustangs, Cameros, BMW M's etc run the engine reprogramed for those loud pops and backfires that just sound like they are blowing the hell out of the cat?  Probably see a bunch of replaced cats in these cars down the line?
Smogged a 2005 Ford Mustang today with a v6 that someone put headers on (without a Carb tag), put an intake on (without a carb label), took off the mufflers (I know mufflers off doesnt constitute a failure) , and had a non-carb approved tuner plugged into it. When I snapped it, it made lots of loud popping and sputtering noises. mostly see it out of the "tuner" crowd it seems with subis, miatas, evos, and some mustangs, camaros, etc.
seems they go to car meets and have "battles", where they both bang the engine off of the rev limiters and make noise to be "cool"

Re: CATS!! Again..

Look at engine family coding also whether it's state or federally regulated will make a change

http://stop-the-star-program.3084.x6.nabble.com/CATS-Again-tp5078417.html