CRAZY PEOPLE I SWEAR..

stopstar1234
So i have a customer who comes in wants to drop the car off i get estimates signed blah blah blah.. ended up failing for half of the o ring on the gas cap missing as defective and monitors not ready. customer comes back pays then leaves comes back an hour later screaming she went to 5 different shops and said it was illegal for me to fail for a defective gas cap and she did not have to pay for a failed smog.. i said you pay the smog inspection not the cert.. she screams at the top of her lungs and throws everything on my desk onto the floor.. i just sit back and laugh its funny.. but unless the laws changed i can still fail for defective gas cap right?

Re: CRAZY PEOPLE I SWEAR..

Re: CRAZY PEOPLE I SWEAR..

Kevin
Find the appendix on it for inspecrions and call the local pd and have the hoodrat arrested

Re: CRAZY PEOPLE I SWEAR..

It failed for monitors anyway. It was still a fail and I personally would not retest it until all self tests are complete including evap. Then the gas cap would get resolved anyway.

I don't care much what the other shops think. If they think the gas cap is OK let them retest it.

BTW on the VIR I don't highlight NOT READY. I highlight the sentence that read "your vehicle failed ..."

Re: CRAZY PEOPLE I SWEAR..

nanz1414
i just had a talk with bar a few days ago.he  told me  dont fail gas caps unless the crack is all the  threw the seal.  if its just has a small crack but still holds seal. the cap is ok.. in your case if half the gasket is missing the would be a fail...   so he basically told told.. pass if it holds a seal.. fail if it doesnt

Re: CRAZY PEOPLE I SWEAR..

StarTech
VISUAL inspection on the gas cap is still required on all years according to the update training online. It is failed under evap components.

Re: CRAZY PEOPLE I SWEAR..

When I get people that disagree with test results, I tell them that they're in luck because they have a great resource to set things straight and spank me if I'm bad: The Ref!
If it ain't broke, break it.

Re: CRAZY PEOPLE I SWEAR..

My local field rep told me to look to see if gas cap was present. If present pass,,,,, If missing fail. Not to remove cap because no where in the smog check procedures does it tell you to remove and inspect (1996 and newer)
Hasnt got me in trouble yet on FRP or SVFR.

iha

Re: CRAZY PEOPLE I SWEAR..

iha
I agree with this procedure! This is how I inspect 1996 and newer... is the gas cap present... if so its a pass!

Re: CRAZY PEOPLE I SWEAR..

iha wrote
I agree with this procedure! This is how I inspect 1996 and newer... is the gas cap present... if so its a pass!
I do mostly the same ... but I will also still fail one if it's the wrong cap jammed part-way in with the threads bound up, like some of those '96 Ford double-threads, before the three-prong became popular.

Re: CRAZY PEOPLE I SWEAR..

Re: CRAZY PEOPLE I SWEAR..

D wrote
I miss failing all the busted ass Forange caps, always sold out quick
I know!  Great example of how out of touch the BAR is with addressing real-life things that fail.
If it ain't broke, break it.

Re: CRAZY PEOPLE I SWEAR..

Re: CRAZY PEOPLE I SWEAR..

D wrote
I think BARs budget would be better spent mailing the customers the common fail items, like Camry intakes, sawn off converters, Saturn S hoses, VW dipsticks etc.
readiness indicator dongle thingys...stock air boxes
If it ain't broke, break it.

Re: CRAZY PEOPLE I SWEAR..

Re: CRAZY PEOPLE I SWEAR..

tampered wrote
D wrote
I miss failing all the busted ass Forange caps, always sold out quick
I know!  Great example of how out of touch the BAR is with addressing real-life things that fail.
How many of these gas cap fails were the cap was bad versus our adapters fit poorly though? The caps that used the orange adapter were on vehicles that also have an evap monitor.

Re: CRAZY PEOPLE I SWEAR..

Best Answer I Can Give
 That 99 Lexus I'm playing with, Finally had to put gas in it. Been running around for a month,  NO CAP. NO CODE.  Still has the lean code and came up with won't get warm code, but NO EVAP CODE.
It's been blowing HC in the air for a month.

Re: CRAZY PEOPLE I SWEAR..

That 99 Lexus I'm playing with, Finally had to put gas in it. Been running around for a month,  NO CAP. NO CODE.  Still has the lean code and came up with won't get warm code, but NO EVAP CODE.
It's been blowing HC in the air for a month.
sooooo, your trying to run all the monitors with out popping the lean code, to pass smog and most likely pass it on to someone else to deal with. you cry about fpr, and shitty star program yet your a contributor to the problem. just take it to a real tech and get the problem diagnosed. id be embarrassed to even post this, not a cheater right lmao. whats the point of driving around with no cap, what part of the diagnosis process is this. if the parts went so expensive you would have threw more parts at it by now.

ALSO if you didnt know the evap monitor will not run when it has less then 15% gas or more than 90% full it will not run the evap monitor. if you were low on gas it wasnt checking the evap your not beating the system just not with in the enabling criteria of the evap system.

score - lexus 2 Besta 0

Re: CRAZY PEOPLE I SWEAR..

Best Answer I Can Give
Part of learning is fixing and listening to those who KNOW more than you.
Yes I could clean it. No I will learn and fix it right.

 You bag on me and then post the only reason you have a licence is because you had to do the Alt classes. WTF?

 Now think. You must drive it to see if you have fixed it. I have finally driven it enough for it to need gas. That's when I found out it needed a cap also.

Re: CRAZY PEOPLE I SWEAR..

 You bag on me and then post the only reason you have a licence is because you had to do the Alt classes. WTF?

i didnt (HAVE TO) take alt, it what we paid for in school, they cant provide us with ase we didnt even have the experience if we passed them, you do know how ase work right. our schooling would only qualify for one year of experience. what would be the point of taking the ase smart guy? the smog program provided us with clean air car course, advanced clean air car course. 2008 update and alternative ase. then it was on us to actually pass the smog course. ASE wouldnt even be valid if i took them during school
123