California Road Charge Pilot Program

smwalker
So I am participating in this new program on how to tax driver in CA called the California Road Charge Pilot Program.  One of the many ways you can pay for the miles you drive is with an OBDII plugin that will report your miles through the vehicle telematics devises.

Got me thinking If every newer car in CA had that that would be a real good way to monitor emissions.  Since all the OIS is doing is just reading the ECM I would guess the plugin could do that and report to the state.  Maybe even fines for every day over 5 days that your check engine light is on?  Oh that would piss off some people!!

Future boys and girls embrace it!

http://www.californiaroadchargepilot.com/

Re: California Road Charge Pilot Program

none
I was told by a guy from Air Resources Board that taxis are done that way and as long as any check engine light is addressed within 30 days they don't need regular smog checks. He also said it is part of a really long running pilot program.

I think it would make sense for newer cars and if it was a choice I bet 90% of the people would opt for this and not have to go get regular smog checks.

Re: California Road Charge Pilot Program

fartvalve
yup! your are one smart bear.

I know this program as the ODB 3. Monitor data, MIL etc. Will be transmitted via magic.
I have chronic pain because stupid hurts!

Re: California Road Charge Pilot Program

fartvalve

Re: California Road Charge Pilot Program

Umbrella Coorperation

Re: California Road Charge Pilot Program

I totally agree with you Operator, That technology {also goes by "Network Car"} looks to me like political cyanide and unlikely to happen anytime soon.  Thanks for your July wishes, but by  the time I generate a score again, short terms will have left nothing but my dry brittle bones.
The only thing about wearing a mask that bothers me is that the girls are a lot friendlier.

Re: California Road Charge Pilot Program

Smogtech

Re: California Road Charge Pilot Program

smwalker wrote
So I am participating in this new program on how to tax driver in CA called the California Road Charge Pilot Program.  One of the many ways you can pay for the miles you drive is with an OBDII plugin that will report your miles through the vehicle telematics devises.
I'm completely against this proposed way of taxing the driver.   Currently gasoline highway taxes are being diverted to the general fund.   Anyone can see that the highway infrastructure isn't being maintained.  I will actively oppose any additional taxation.

Unless there are guarantees that the funds will only be going towards infrastructure maintenance and repairs, and the government rescinds the gas tax, this proposed program is another government wallet flush.

Got me thinking If every newer car in CA had that that would be a real good way to monitor emissions.  Since all the OIS is doing is just reading the ECM I would guess the plugin could do that and report to the state.  Maybe even fines for every day over 5 days that your check engine light is on?  Oh that would piss off some people!!
As long as the driver can choose where the vehicle can be repaired, I wouldn't have a problem with that.  Of course, I have a vested interest.   Currently, all of the information via telematics are going to the manufacturer using systems such as OnStar. OnStar will be glad to make an appointment for you at your local GM dealer.

I can see telemetrics being built into all new vehicles in the furure.   Probably will have some way for law enforcement to shut vehicle engines off.   You won't have a choice, big brother will always be watching you.

Future boys and girls embrace it!
I don't know about embracing it, I just don't want to get run over by it.

Re: California Road Charge Pilot Program

Best Answer I Can Give
 November, may bring change???????????????????

Re: California Road Charge Pilot Program

 Walker , is this tax going to DMV or to the CARB/EPA? i am with scanner another tax reworded and hidden but still a "wallet flusher " as Scanner said .
  I am now seriously thinking about moving out of CAli

Re: California Road Charge Pilot Program

smwalker
Well seems the Refs are already involved in this program.  If you got a non OBD2 car and no smartphone and still want to participate in the pilot program you have to go to a ref station and have them grab the mileage.  I Can totally see them requiring smog stations to be the mileage keepers for all the non tech cars.

https://calsam.us/Information/OfficialReadings

Karupt my understanding is since Hybrids and electric cars are using so much less gas that is less tax revenue generated through gas tax for the roads even though the same use or more is going on wearing them out.  So this will enable an electric car to pay the same road tax for using the road as a gas guzzling V8.  I imagine they will eventually have different tax rates for larger vehicles and may be able to take the tax out of commercial vehicle registration and transfer it to a per mile use tax.

But yea where the tax actually goes like Scanner says is anyone's guess, and being that it's California it will probably not go where it was originally designated.

Re: California Road Charge Pilot Program

Karupt
thanks for putting this in laymans words

Re: California Road Charge Pilot Program

Best Answer I Can Give
 The real BIG picture is, We live in California..

 Face it people why do you live here? Me I live in heaven. I get up, look at the ocean. 50 and people are freezing, 80 and people are dying from the heat. By 10 the overcast burns off at the house @12 at the shop, go to dinner at the harbor.
No snow tires, no 3 sets of clothes, one winter and one for spring and winter. No heavy coats in the winter, no pushing snow around. Hell our cars last more that 10 years without falling apart.

                                              WHO DOESN'T WANT TO LIVE IN CALIFORNIA?

 And the biggest reason, YOU DON"T FUCKING WORK? you still can live, your not going to freeze your ass off and the Government is fucking give you money. Money for doing nothing.

 Where in the F do you think the BAR budget went? To the General Fund. We need to feed those poor babies. Hell you and I don't mind working and paying for them. Hell let's just make a new form of collecting taxes.
Do you people get it?
California is the best place to live. Great weather and we give you FREE MONEY from our working people.
 Were just going to tax the F out of them.

Re: California Road Charge Pilot Program

Umbrella Coorperation

Re: California Road Charge Pilot Program

smog man
Every time you turn around. California is always trying to double dip us on taxes. People with pickups, are already getting screwed in California. DMV considers them commercial vehicles, even if you don't use them in a fleet, or hall anything ever. They still charge you weight fees. Don't let them fool you, they get plenty of money from fuel taxes and weight fees. Trucking company's pay shit load of fees to register there fleets in California. If they have another location out of State, they will register them there for this reason.