Can I get your opinion, modded wrx

Icemawg
Just for today

Re: Can I get your opinion, modded wrx

Icemawg
Tampered for wastgate mod, also the few blue vacuum lines ( not coolant ) and spectre inter cooler boot. Customer returned with angry Uncle and original wastegate installed but wasn’t having my vacuum line failure demanding I pass with the silicone eBay style lines and boost gauge clear line. Said the last guy at this station passed it that way two years ago, ( tech lost his license last year ) what would a Ref say? Or you?
Just for today

Re: Can I get your opinion, modded wrx

none
The blue silicone lines I would pass, NOT the clear vinyl tubing though.

Re: Can I get your opinion, modded wrx

user7112
I would pass it. don't see anything wrong with it

Re: Can I get your opinion, modded wrx

805smogtech
Sadly, I know of some techs cross town that would pass it as is. Wouldn't care about the wastegate (because they don't understand turbos LOL) or any of the vacuum lines as long as they are all connected.

Me? I'd atleast ask if he had an EO number for the wastegate. if not then tamper fail it for that and have them bring it back with stock, or an EO number and sticker.

Re: Can I get your opinion, modded wrx

805smogtech
user7112 wrote
I would pass it. don't see anything wrong with it
you sound like some of the old guys i used to work with.

the turbo blow off valve is clearly a performance add on and probably does NOT have a carb eo number. fail (that black thing to the right of the throttle body).

PS (if you were being sarcastic im sorry lol)

Re: Can I get your opinion, modded wrx

805smogtech wrote
Sadly, I know of some techs cross town that would pass it as is. Wouldn't care about the wastegate (because they don't understand turbos LOL) or any of the vacuum lines as long as they are all connected.

Me? I'd atleast ask if he had an EO number for the wastegate. if not then tamper fail it for that and have them bring it back with stock, or an EO number and sticker.
He stated in the original post that he failed it for the wastegate and vacuum hoses and it came back with the stock wastegate but still had the same hoses.

Personally I understand turbos and I can't see the WASTEGATE in the picture. I see an aftermarket BLOW OFF VALVE and an aftermarket intake that I hope both have EO#s.

Re: Can I get your opinion, modded wrx

Best Answer I Can Give
 What is the thing about the Blue hose? Meaning, what is so great
 about it. Why do they put it on?

One Ref and PR said Fail it, the blue hose, another PR said don't so. Who Knows?
 Sometimes you have to be Smarter than the Equipment you are working with.

Re: Can I get your opinion, modded wrx

kfworry
The Blue Silicone hoses come standard equipment from the Factory on the Police Interceptor on the Crown Vic's.
Silicone tolerates heat much better then standard rubber.
Perfectly Legal.

Re: Can I get your opinion, modded wrx

kfworry
As far as the Turbo Waste Gate, if the waste gate malfunctions and does not "bow off" the
Turbo will suffer and could overheat.

Re: Can I get your opinion, modded wrx

Technician A
Recirculation valve. Bypass valve. Blow off valve. This valve opens up when the throttle closes so the charged air does not return back to the turbo and damage it. The stock one will route the charged air to the piping before the turbo inlet. The aftermarket blow off valve vents it to the atmosphere - not legal.

The turbo waste gate opens up when a set pressure is built up. The exhaust will exit the system instead of going thru the turbo. On most if not all stock system, this is part of the turbo or connected to it.

Re: Can I get your opinion, modded wrx

none

The only thing I will add to what TECH A stated is that a "variable vane" turbo won't have a wastegate at all in most cases.

Re: Can I get your opinion, modded wrx

 Kf, that was water hoses. Plus last one I had in, no blue\green hoses.
 Sometimes you have to be Smarter than the Equipment you are working with.

Re: Can I get your opinion, modded wrx

kfworry wrote
More than likely it will malfunction and under-boost or over-boost. On the old Volvo 940 turbos it would over-boost and run like hell until it chucked a rod or broke a piston.

Re: Can I get your opinion, modded wrx

805smogtech
Whoops. I meant blow-off valve not waste gate. Sorry for the typo.

I failed a subi for an aftermarket adjustable blow off valve the other day that was manufactured in Australia. Nothing on manufactures website about EO, called them and they told me it wasn't legal.

Re: Can I get your opinion, modded wrx

The blue silicone lines I would pass, NOT the clear vinyl tubing though.
I am on the same wavelength with none, once again.  Great minds obviously think alike.  Why should anyone tamper-fail aftermarket replacement hoses that are at least as durable and performant as the stock items?

Re: Can I get your opinion, modded wrx

scanner
barrym95838 wrote
none wrote
The blue silicone lines I would pass, NOT the clear vinyl tubing though.
I am on the same wavelength with none, once again.  Great minds obviously think alike.

Re: Can I get your opinion, modded wrx

user7112
805 smogtech

no worries lol, thats why i'm on here I still got a lot to learn.

Blow off valve? how do i identify it
Same with wastegate. no idea what it is or does

Re: Can I get your opinion, modded wrx

user7112 wrote
805 smogtech

no worries lol, thats why i'm on here I still got a lot to learn.

Blow off valve? how do i identify it
Same with wastegate. no idea what it is or does
The waste-gate and the blow-off valve both have the function of lowering boost pressure, but under different circumstances.  The waste-gate is in the exhaust stream and bypasses the turbo to prevent over-boost conditions, usually during heavy acceleration.  The blow-off valve is in the intake stream and dumps the boost back to the atmospheric side of the plumbing, usually during initial deceleration when the turbo is still spooled but the throttle is closed.

Re: Can I get your opinion, modded wrx