Can we get to the bottom of this?

Evaponly818

Re: Can we get to the bottom of this?

Evaponly818 wrote

Questions that I think should be asked are; how can I confirm this vehicle came with 2 or 4 cats originally?
Maybe I'm misunderstanding something, didn't you say this car was the group .3185 that came with 4 cats?

EDIT: I think I see what you're gett ing at. You want to verfy it.  I went to Walkera's exhaust catalog and it shows 2 cats in the diagrams and only lists .3185 family but in the converter catalog  it specifies a right rear and left rear but no fronts. Alldata also shows only 2 cats, but like you said, ARB  site indicates 4, so WTF?  Big help I am! Does the motor or mitchell guide say anything?

EDIT AGAIN: The EO doesn't change the cat configuration or number of cats required if that's what you were asking.
If it ain't broke, break it.

Re: Can we get to the bottom of this?

EVAPONLY, Do you know what the front cats look like on a 4.8 or 5.3L LS motor? If not and you haven't ever seen them you aren't looking close enough. On the ALLDATA picture you posted the other day I circled them. On the 6.0L they are somewhat more obvious but still just a slight swell in the pipe, not a normal looking cat. Same with the Jeep 4.0L that has two cats. The front one is just a swell in the pipe where it crosses the oil pan.

Re: Can we get to the bottom of this?

Evaponly818

Re: Can we get to the bottom of this?

Evaponly818

Re: Can we get to the bottom of this?

Hard Nox
Yes some of these 2001/2002 Chevy and GMC 5.3L had 4 cats and some had 2 cats.

I haven't seen any on the 2001 models , but seen many on the 2002s.

Not the same as the 6.0L that can share the Big Block 8.1L exhaust.

On the 5.3L with the 4 cat exhaust, the Front Cats are bolted right up to the exhaust manifold and part of the Header Pipe.  The Front Cats are small Pre Cats about 5 or 6 inches long. One on each side.
They look like the Header Pipe is just a bit Fatter for that 5 or 6 inches.

Have never seen aftermarket replacements for the Front Cats.
Have never seen em on a 4.8L.

If those small front cats blew out and went downstream, don't think most techs would catch it unless the Rear Cats failed Restricted as a result.

Re: Can we get to the bottom of this?

 On the ALLDATA picture you posted the other day I circled them.
Are you talking about this picture?

If it ain't broke, break it.

Re: Can we get to the bottom of this?

none
YES

Re: Can we get to the bottom of this?

But isn't that from a 2004 savanna 4.8?  Not challenging you or second guessing, I'm just trying to get my head around this whole 4 cat 2001 suburban thing.  I haven't found anything on it beside ARB "4" designation.

In that diagram, I never would have identified those as CATs without your help!
If it ain't broke, break it.

Re: Can we get to the bottom of this?

Hard Nox
I agree on this one. Those are the small pre cats that I am familiar with. Have only seen them on 5.3L.

Tomorrow is a new day, can hardly wait to see what will show up.

I'm not certain but I think the four cats is on ones that have a throttle cable and no EGR.

Re: Can we get to the bottom of this?

none
I've taken a few pictures of 4.8L AND 5.3L pre-CATS with my cheap phone. They have always been on trucks with no EGR or electronic throttle.

Here is the best picture I got. It is a worms eye view, laying on my back looking up.

Re: Can we get to the bottom of this?

Thank you so much for posting!  Again,  I never would've ID'd those as CATs without your help, especially considering the lack of clear and collaborative reference.  Still, I would have done as OP and pass it (after sweating the conflicting info, like I often do).

Funny how the usually-welcomed presence of a VECI complicated things!
If it ain't broke, break it.

Re: Can we get to the bottom of this?

Evaponly818

Re: Can we get to the bottom of this?

Evaponly818

Re: Can we get to the bottom of this?

scanner
Evaponly818 wrote
Shoutout None for posting an actual pic to show us. Personally I learn better with visuals. Here’s an example of one that requires 4 cats on a 01 suburban 5.3, engine family 1GMXA05.3185. Pretty easy to miss if you don’t know they’re suppose to be there. Especially since Motor book will say 2 and Alldata does not clarify. You can see the small pre-cat following into the main catalyst.
The EO shows 2 Warm Up TWC and 2 TWCs.

https://ww3.arb.ca.gov/msprog/onroad/cert/pcldtmdv/2001/gm_mdv_a0060989_5d3_u1.pdf

Does anyone here have a scan of the 4 oxygen sensors at idle and 2000 rpm?   What's interesting is that B1S1 and B2S2 are positioned after the warm up cats.   I'd be curious to see what scandata looks like.