Car programming using J2354 pass through

Car programming using J2354 pass through

Iconcur
Okay so thankfully the shop I use to work for years back let me semi permanently borrow a programmer and in the midst of installing everything I opened up the gm tis2web deal and saw the drewtech I'm clean as a possible J2354 programming tool wich leads me to think that drew tech has the cardaq programmer at around the same price as the IM clean has anyone ever tried to use the im clean as a programmer.? Also how many of you guys use a flash programmer for your customers vehicles

Re: Car programming using J2354 pass through

scanner
Iconcur wrote
Okay so thankfully the shop I use to work for years back let me semi permanently borrow a programmer and in the midst of installing everything I opened up the gm tis2web deal and saw the drewtech I'm clean as a possible J2354 programming tool wich leads me to think that drew tech has the cardaq programmer at around the same price as the IM clean has anyone ever tried to use the im clean as a programmer.? Also how many of you guys use a flash programmer for your customers vehicles
The IMClean uses the technology of their CarDAQ line of products and is why it shows up as a device in all programs that use the J2534 protocol.   That said, the IMClean is NOT fully compliant to SAE J2534-1 & J2534-2.  If you start a flash with the device, and it crashes, you'll get no help from Drew Tech.

That said, it's not impossible to flash an early programmable GM PCM.

Before the DrewTech firmware update a while back, I have successfully hooked up Techstream with the IMClean wirelessly and viewed data.  I've hooked it up via USB with HDS.    On one session, the screen said it was updating the firmware on the IMClean.   I didn't notice any difference after that, but when it came to updating the IMClean firmware from DrewTech, the IMClean bricked.    I believe it happened due to the firmware update by the programs not meant to be used with the IMClean.  I don't use the IMClean as a J-box anymore.

I'm currently have a Pass Thru Pro II and a CarDAQ Plus-2.  I have flashed GM, Ford, Toyota, and Honda.    On Chrysler products, I've only programed the VIN and miles into PCMs.    A lot of scanners will enter the VIN in a blank Chrysler PCM, but the CarDAQs will overwrite the VIN in a used one.

You can play around with your IMClean as a J2534 interface, but I would NOT recommend it.

Re: Car programming using J2354 pass through

Iconcur
Thanks for the reply scanner, like I said I thought it was interesting to see and now I know why it showed up, do you have any experience with the I flash by blue streak electronics. I have 2 separate devices that do there job well and I wont be killing my I'm clean because it makes more money than the Iflash at the moment lol.

Re: Car programming using J2354 pass through

scanner
Iconcur wrote
Thanks for the reply scanner, like I said I thought it was interesting to see and now I know why it showed up, do you have any experience with the I flash by blue streak electronics.
Standard support is good.  My local parts supplier.used to program controllers with that device.  Try to get some training from them. Each manufacturer has some difference in their products and it would be good to develop a relationship with their support.

I have 2 separate devices that do there job well and I wont be killing my I'm clean because it makes more money than the Iflash at the moment lol.
I think that is the most prudent thing to do.

Re: Car programming using J2354 pass through

Just the Facts