Careful out there OBD defeat device.

Newbiesmogtech
Fraud shops starting to install obd defeat device in a customer cars and taking them to smog check stations (my guess is that they are already "flagged" a station they work at or they're not "Star" certified) to try and get their customer's cars to pass. Pull on OBD cable, make sure it looks like its suppose to look. I called my local field office and they told me to confiscate the device but the customer wasn't having none of it and left my shop when he saw that i wasn't going along with the smog check. Vehicle had dealer plates, it was a 2001 Ford Expedition. Im located in the LA area. Took a couple of pictures i will upload later today.

Be vigilant

Re: Careful out there OBD defeat device.

none
Just don't get too over zealous and start ripping out maintenance trackers.

They are often connected so the original OBDII port is removed from the holder and connected to the module and another OBDII port comes out of the module and is attached where the original port was. You can read data and it goes through but sometimes gives me a low voltage warning.

Re: Careful out there OBD defeat device.

Ser Dan
Thanks for the heads-up
I'll keep an eye out and make a huge scene if i find one
I'm talking possibly citizens arrest the guy lol jk maybe some very rude name calling and shaking of my fist though....

Re: Careful out there OBD defeat device.

Just don't get too over zealous and start ripping out maintenance trackers.

They are often connected so the original OBDII port is removed from the holder and connected to the module and another OBDII port comes out of the module and is attached where the original port was. You can read data and it goes through but sometimes gives me a low voltage warning.
Word.  I have had a couple of pass-through trackers that didn't communicate properly through their DLCs, so I just disconnected them and proceeded with the inspection on the original DLCs.  Turned a few aborts into passes.

Re: Careful out there OBD defeat device.

defective
Take pictures and post them too.  Im sure some of these piggyback OBD plug ins have serial numbers that will tell us if theyre trackers or not.