Catalytic Converter

FiendFX
If you can't see the E.O. number would you fail the vehicle?

Re: Catalytic Converter

K20SI
i just failed one yesterday  that had no eo#

Re: Catalytic Converter

smogtech19
If the cats on upside down I just get under there and read the numbers upside down It takes some time but I'll get the eo# that way, but no number at all is a fail

Re: Catalytic Converter

just another shop owner
  This whole CAT thing, when was it put on. Where was it put. Who is to pay because of a what I feel is a stupid unenforceable law.

 The BAR can not prove when it was put on

Re: Catalytic Converter

Many factory OBDII CATs are unmarked, or not visible under the shields.  If it appears that they have been replaced with unmarked CATs, does it fail? What if the customer says they have never been replaced? What if he says they have been replaced?

How do we know if they are replacement factory CATs or not?
Regulation must exceed compliance

Re: Catalytic Converter

No, it's one of those CATS that does have an EO number but I guess over time, the number just fades and you can't see it at ALL.

Re: Catalytic Converter

Yeah, I failed a '99 Accord today (sorry, no pix).  There were welded collars that looked to be a few years old at the front and the back, and two O2 sensor bungs (only one of which was being used).  There were some broken welds on each side where it looked like someone had tried to get the OE shield to stick, but couldn't ... there was no shield, and there were no distinguishing marks of any kind that I could make out, even after I jacked it up and got my head right underneath it, with a flashlight and mirror.

The car owner was rather taken-aback by the fail, and even called the car dealer that sold it to him, with certificate, about 11 months ago.  Of course, they simply told him that they've never heard of a cat needing EO numbers, and that I was just plain wrong.  My boss politely told him that he would not be receiving a certificate from us with that cat, regardless of what someone claims to know at the other end of a phone conversation, and the dude left in a huff.

My next inspection of the day was a '91 Previa with 2010 stickers, and a huge collection of leaves and spider-webs ... I'm a lucky guy!  (BTW, that POS passed 100% legit.  I know ... I spent about 30 minutes on it, cursing under my breath the whole time).

barrym95838
EO144107

Re: Catalytic Converter

FiendFX wrote
No, it's one of those CATS that does have an EO number but I guess over time, the number just fades and you can't see it at ALL.
I had one of those a few days ago on a 4x4, oxidized completely over.  I had to actually plastic-wire-wheel the bottom of the cat, and hold the flashlight at a very shallow angle to make out the numbers.  They were correct, and I passed it, but I don't know what the chances are that the next inspector will go through that much trouble to decide to pass it or fail it.  My FuPR is in their hands, either way.

barrym95838
EO144107

Re: Catalytic Converter

Troll
It is important to do our job right since we're at the mercy of the next guy and his "laziness".
Just had a 85 toyovan and had to clean the timing cover off. what a pain. jacked it up and everything.
Mirrors on cats, jackstands,burnt rags cleaning hot cats,   wire brushes, but not the wire wheel. that's a new one. hear it all day long. "last time it was ok.". Newer rigid orders from bar I tell em, with new enforcements for undercover cars making sure it's right.  The rescinded shit is really unbelievable now.

Re: Catalytic Converter

littlemac wrote
...  The rescinded shit is really unbelievable now.

Like this?

I stuck my chin out pretty far on that one ... I wonder what the odds are that my FuPR is going to take a hit!

barrym95838
EO144107

Re: Catalytic Converter

  I definitely won't do all that work,  chances are most inspectors won't Barry and will screw your FPR!

Re: Catalytic Converter

323818 wrote
I definitely won't do all that work,  chances are most inspectors won't Barry and will screw your FPR!
There's a certain frustration in knowing that you are correct, and a certain satisfaction in knowing that I did my very best.  I'm letting it all hang out, FuPR be damned!  I have decided to treat the next six months of my miraculous jump to STAR eligibility as an anonymous gift, since it is impossible for me to work out any reason that I could have 'earned' it by "improving my inspection performance".  That's a load of shit.

Just today, a lowered '93 Civic squeaked through on emissions, and I had to spend an extra 15 minutes and an extra set of hands to pick up on the fender so I could cram a jack under it.  Some f**king @$$hole welded the after market cat in upside-down, and I had to get under there with a flashlight and mirror to make sure that it had an EO# on the top.  Actually, maybe that saved it, because the shield labeled 'TOP' was scraped to hell, and I would have probably had to fail it if all traces of the EO# had been scraped away.

Doesn't matter in the long run anyway ... the POS counted all the way down to zero on ASM 5015, and passed @ 1 HC below the cut-point!  Maybe the next inspector will use the (incorrect) VIN on the dash instead of the correct one on the door jamb, but I'm not going to count on it.

barrym95838
EO144107

Re: Catalytic Converter

323818
Barry you should have failed the car and made customer get it welded correctly because most inspectors won't do what you did!

Re: Catalytic Converter

The VIN on the dash was wrong?

Re: Catalytic Converter

K20SI
i had a honda prelude like that once only he gave me a paper the dash didnt match so i go to the door stick that didnt match either lol so i turned it away becuase i didnt want the headace but on all hondas the vin should be on the firewall

Re: Catalytic Converter

FiendFX wrote
The VIN on the dash was wrong?
Dude, you haven't even heard the least of it.  I get wrong paper-work, mis-matched front and rear plates, incorrect underhood labels, mis-matched dash and door-jamb VINs, screwdrivers for keys, missing windshields, drivers doors that won't open, seats jammed all the way forward, interiors that resemble a restaurant dumpster in July ... if you can imagine it, I've probably seen it more than several times in my neighborhood.

barrym95838
EO144107

Re: Catalytic Converter

smogtech19
lol you and me both barry. somtimes I just get a wet rag and rub that on the cat It will help me get a quick look at that EO#

Re: Catalytic Converter

Kriss Vector

Re: Catalytic Converter

FiendFX
the date doesn't matter.. if you can see the EO number, it will show the date of the cat..