Charging $150 to pass cars

No One
So I got a good one for you guys.

This weekend while playing an online multi-player video game, I got into a conversation with random that lives in the Redlands/Big Bear area. While talking to him,he asked what I did for a living and I told him "smog check." He goes, "ohh cool can you pass my car under the table?" So I say, "why? what is wrong with your car?" So after I ask, we go back and forward exchanging information and that's when he tells me he has a guy in the Redlands that passes his car for $150. So this of course peaks my interest and I start asking questions. I ask if he shows up and leaves the car? Does he just give him paper work? He says no. Apparently this smog station resets the light, makes him go drive in the freeway to do the drive cycle, and then charges him $150 to smog the car presumably with pending codes and the evap monitor incomplete

I also presume this smog station has good fpr score compared to me who has been refusing to smog cars with evap incomplete and codes pending.

I feel like doing the same, since the worst thing that can happen is getting a low fpr score(I already have) from "forcing a malfunctioning vehicle to pass." This to me is a damn if you do damn if you don't situation!!

CHARGE MORE BE HAPPY

charging to run monitors it is what it is  go based of your labor rate and charge min 1 half hour. plus the smog why no

charging to run monitors it is what it is  go based of your labor rate and charge min 1 half hour. plus the smog why no
The customer did the drive cycle. The tech did nothing at all except maybe hurt his fpr score. Some monitors wont run if there is a pending code. The tech loses no time at all while customer does all the work. Brilliant!! How will bar stop this? Eventually there wont be cars 2009 and older on the road.

CHARGE MORE BE HAPPY

Re: Charging $150 to pass cars

No One
Why wear out your machine on something you might not be able to accomplish.

Re: Charging $150 to pass cars

No One wrote
I feel like doing the same, since the worst thing that can happen is getting a low fpr score(I already have) from "forcing a malfunctioning vehicle to pass." This to me is a damn if you do damn if you don't situation!!
What your acquaintance is doing doesn't appear to be illegal to me.

If a vehicle shows up with a lit MIL, I'll sell the diag first.   I'd tell them that they should fix their broken vehicle.

Maybe I can sell a procedure for a vehicle that's not completing a monitor, one that I can't run on the dyno such as a vehicle with non disengagable all wheel drive.  Maybe I could tell the consumer that I'm setting it up to run the monitor and have them do my mapped out 15 mile drive cycle.   I charge them 1 hour plus the smog inspection.   If it's successful, good.   If not, I'll return the money and no big loss for me.

I wonder if I would have any liability due to the consumer getting into an accident following my instructions?

Re: Charging $150 to pass cars

none
Buying time by clearing an EVAP code and then running just enough monitors to pass in't really that different than MY station buying time with a STAR INVALIDATION by doing appeals until my score comes up.

Re: Charging $150 to pass cars

smog frogposter wrote
At that point why not just charge to perform a drive cycle?
No One wrote
I tried it. Told the customer if I can make it happen, its going to be $250. EZ money right? Nope, wasted my time and wore out my dyno like I predicted.

Car was a 2000 Toyota 4runner with a p0402 code. Got all the monitors to run except the egr. Even the fucking evap monitor ran. Ran it for about an hour yesterday, doing what the SI said. No pending codes popping up and the monitor still being incomplete. Looked at the SI again, saw that there is a diff criteria that must be met for a 4runner that has the 1FZ-FE ENGINE. ECT must be below 105F. I look under the hood and of course no label. I figured it must have this engine since no pending codes showing up yet. I ask the customer to leave the car with me overnight(at this point I might as well just repaire the damn car). Start it up this morning and do as the SI says and BANG!!!  A FUCKING WILD P0402 SHOWS UP!!

No point in continuing, the monitor needs to set first before the pending code shows up

Don't waste your time on shit that can prob be spent repairing the car. Or you can just reset the light and have the customer drive it.

"Remember, however, that clearing OBD-II trouble codes for the purpose of enabling a malfunctioning vehicle to pass a smog check can still impact FPR scores"--BAR

Re: Charging $150 to pass cars

screwing around is going to catch you dram with BAR

On Mon, Mar 23, 2020 at 10:29 AM No One [via Stop The Star Program] <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

http://stop-the-star-program.3084.x6.nabble.com/Charging-150-to-pass-cars-tp5080111.html

Kevin Casillas