Cheap.

Best Answer I Can Give
 It's SLOW. You do 2 checks at $50 ok. 2 at $19.95? How do you pay the bills?

Re: Cheap.

Johnnybeme
$19.95 stupid price

Re: Cheap.

alldsd1motor
A few shops area my area charging $16.75 + cert with free re-test. Local ads and billboards everywhere

Re: Cheap.

Re: Cheap.

Best Answer I Can Give
 Well if BAR follows thru with the "Must have a working ASM machine", we may see a lot of that go away.
No ASM no STAR.
Try paying @$500 a month on $19.95 Certs. Rots of Ruck.

Re: Cheap.

Kevin
the days of making money doing smogs is long past, when i was first licensed in the early 90's there was money to be made but not any more

Re: Cheap.

Icemawg

Drove by this gem today. Have a little dignity for yourself Rerri

Just for today

Re: Cheap.

Ser Dan
That sign is in San Bernardino?
Hard to believe smog checks use to be $45-$60 a pop a few years ago

Re: Cheap.

none
OIS is $43 OTD here. BAR97 is $58-$93 for cars depending on the year.

Re: Cheap.

kfworry
When customers complain about $60.00 out the door for a
BAR 97 test, I point to my new Gen 3 Gas Analyzer.
I paid Cash, $17,800 tax included.

Re: Cheap.

When "customers" complain around me, I direct them politely but firmly to the complaint department in the first room.  Most of the whiners aren't even paying customers, and likely never will be.

Re: Cheap.

kfworry wrote
When customers complain about $60.00 out the door for a
BAR 97 test, I point to my new Gen 3 Gas Analyzer.
I paid Cash, $17,800 tax included.
On top of the $38,500 the machine was originally. I also point that out when I tell them I can't get their 93 Chevy P/U in right now because I only updated one of the machines for OLD cars.

Re: Cheap.

xcinlb
This post was updated on .
The same customers complain about price no matter what you're charging. $55+ OIS out the door here. Older, bigger cost more $55 to $120+ for motorhomes/box trucks etc. Exotics, upper end, they're too expensive to risk a scratch for $60 bucks.

Re: Cheap.

Troll
Dear XC-
Perfectly said.
Thanks
and if I may add-
we only have problems with people who are problems

Re: Cheap.

Some are willing to pay more and some are willing to pay less.  The tricky part is "you gotta keep 'em separated" so you can get both.

I had a call for prices today and I could hear a dyno calibrating in the background.  I told him $1.59 and we pay for the cert.  He hung up.
If it ain't broke, break it.

Re: Cheap.

tampered wrote
I had a call for prices today and I could hear a dyno calibrating in the background.
I had a PR pull a Sherlock Holmes on me over the phone a number of years ago.  I had called in for a quick question that I can't remember but that I probably already knew the answer to, and he responded with a quick question of his own:
PR: "Hey, if you're the only tech there, then who the hell is running the smog in the background?"
Me: "Hey, you're quite the detective, aren't you?  Am I the only shop around here who calibrates on Thursday mornings?"