Citation

007
One of my Tech's got a citation in the mail. Does this mean he will loose his star certification automatically?
Will the station loose its star certification?  If you have been throught this,Any advice would be helpful. I have seen shops and tech's get citations and 2 years and 2 citations later they are still STAR certified. And then I have seen tech's and shops loose there STAR statis right away.

Re: Citation

none
The shop won't lose STAR right away. After the citation is settled they will send a certified letter stating you will lose STAR for one year after a specific date if you don't appeal it. There is a lot on here about appealing it too.

Shops are STAR certified not the techs.

Re: Citation

loptru
Fire the tech , then do the formal appeal .
One shop in Rancho Santa Margarita did it twice and kept their Star Certification .

Re: Citation

Best Answer I Can Give
 What is to appeal? Yes I AGREE with the appeal thing.
As far as getting you on the UC? FORGET IT. They have you.

 Every UC I have been gotten with or got them. NO QUESTION. It was pulled or did not work.

 The appeal should be on the taking away of the STAR.
 The law they use is not fair and EQUAL to all the shop's.
A shop in a basic area, BFD. Basic said he did a couple a week. How about a shop in a downtown area. One that see's nothing but what could be STAR cars. Is the punishment the same State wide? NO.

 The taking away of the STAR was just a add on. I think with a good lawyer you could then have agood appeal.

 The LAW only applies to a few not to all.

 You guy's fucked up. $100 a month to D and the thing he wanted to put together. That is one hell of a strong group with 100 shop's. Pre Paid Lawyer.

Re: Citation

SoCalSmogGuy
I am currently fighting two citations at the moment. I elected to formally appeal both. The BAR decided to consolidate both citations into one case hearing. I pled my case in front of an administrative law judge. The judge's decision was to side with the BAR. Now I am facing some fines and training courses.

My biggest concern is our STAR status. I contacted the enforcement branch to inquire about our STAR status and they referred me to the BAR Licensing Unit. I called the BAR Licensing Unit to ask if the citations would affect the station's STAR status and I was told that they have no answer for that. I was told "We get a list of citations and we remove the STAR status for the station on that list."

I asked if this decision is made by a person or a computer and I was told it is made by a computer. Pretty frustrating answers when we are just trying to comply with the program and do our best. They need clear-cut rules on citations their affect on a station's STAR status.
Work Smarter AND Harder

Re: Citation

none
My understanding from personal experience and watching a video of a BAR meeting is; If you don't do a formal appeal for your STAR status (separate from the citation) your station will lose STAR for one year. If you do a formal appeal it can be anywhere from one month to one year. I appealed first informal and then formal. When they went to set up a date for the hearing they offered a two month suspension and I took it. I know of another station that lawyered up and has not lost STAR at all and is still in the process as far as I know.

Re: Citation

Kevin
In the end the only people that win or the state and the lawyers. Be prepared to pay a lot of money

Re: Citation

A fellow smog tech attended a citation class, the instructor is a "Former" BAR Rep.
The instructor has represented smog techs during the Formal STAR
Invalidation Appeal Process.
I'm not sure if he charges a Fee for his services. My understanding is this
instructor has been prevailed in the formal appeal hearings, maybe NOT in
all appeals.
While my Attorney, Mr. Ferreira, charges $400 an hour.

Re: Citation

kfworry
Mr. Ferreira does not want to see the STAR program abolished,
that would affect his bottom line, his bread and butter.
STAR invalidation Formal Appeals are backed-up for months in the
Administrative Courts.

Re: Citation

smogido
can you find out who this former bar rep is so maybe he can help these techs with low budget? thanks

Re: Citation

kfworry
CONTACT: Advanced Automotive Training in Rancho Cordova

Re: Citation

kfworry
advancedautomotivetraining.com

Re: Citation

How the f did you get 2 citations?

Re: Citation

none
I didn't get any. I've caught at least four U/C cars. My shop got two, but it was never me. YET

Re: Citation

Troll
You have to have a sit down real talk with the boys at the shop.  More UC cars are a coming.  Things have to change amigo

Re: Citation

none
My response may have sounded like I wasn't very concerned but trust me, I am. I have talked to my tech about it and check over a lot of the cars he does now. I have slowed down the number of cars that go through this shop so we have enough time to do each one right BUT it wasn't busy when the last U/C came through.

I have lost a lot of sleep worrying about this too.

Re: Citation

smogido
how many citation a person can get before they are done with their carrier (smog)?

Re: Citation

Lose weight
smogido wrote
how many citation a person can get before they are done with their carrier (smog)?
I guess it depends if any shop wants to hire that tech ever again with a stained record.
Bunch of plumpy hens stop overeating!

Re: Citation

Best Answer I Can Give
 Bored, SLOW, (Fair is in town) So here goes.

 When the Under cover program was set up, it was, First one $250 fine 8 hours. Second $500, 16 hours. Third $1000. 24 hours, or maybe it was the full clean air course. Forth one, DONE.
Now this was all within a year.
 If they got you on the first one, within 3 months they HAD to send you another UC. If you failed that UC you went back to ZERO, and they would not or could not send you one for a year.

 Now as I understand it 4 period. It doesn't matter if it's 4 over 20 years, done. Get 4 and they will try to take your licence away.

 STAR was never around when it was set up, so STAR was not a problem.

 The problem with the first one was, BE SLOPPY. Who cares pay the fine. Do the time, and be careful for the next 3 months. You could be sloppy for a whole year before you had to worry about a UC. So I could see why they changed it.

 The taking away of the STAR is PURE BULLSHIT.

 Now I'm getting older and it has been a long time, some of you old guys feel free to correct what I missed.