Computer help

none
My office computer is a roughly ten year old DELL. When I try to turn it on by the push button on the front it gives one beep (like it normally does) and then turns off within about one second (the two little lights by the switch go back out. The fan on the power supply spins for one second and stops so I replaced the power supply yesterday but it still does the same thing.

It started on Thursday where it would keep flashing the light and beeping like it was trying to start over and over. I unplugged it and after it sat for about an hour or so it started normally so we made sure to back everything up. Friday it would not start and just kept trying to restart on its own again in about one second intervals. Now it just shuts right off when I push the start button.

Re: Computer help

Kevin
I hope its backed up, what your descriptions is a boot sector failure on the hard drive, call a repair service and see if they can retrieve the data if its not backed up. And computers at wal-mart are really reasonable in price, in the same boat my wife and I, our laptops died

Re: Computer help

loptru
Take out the RAM stick or sticks , clean the dust on both the sticks and slots then reseat them .

Re: Computer help

none
It has two. Can I take one out and try that and switch to the other or does it need both?

Re: Computer help

Best Answer I Can Give
 10 years old. Could be time for a new one.
Hell for the price of a new one? Is it worth the time? Plus the new one will be FASTER.
 Sorry to you that I have not offended. Give me time. I will get to you.

Re: Computer help

loptru
The more RAM it has, the computer performs better . Certainly ! you can try to switch them  around .

Re: Computer help

open her up sometime they have extra slots like this pos spx the tech just moved the drive over one slot and worked again this one had 4 total slots on the board. my home computer had same issues newer computer no start up only beep but it only had 2 slots .

Re: Computer help

Thanks LOPTRU, I tried it but no luck. I just had my wife run it up to a local computer repair shop.

Re: Computer help

none
I'll find out what it was later but my wife said he fixed it in about a minute and didn't charge anything.

BESTA, It wasn't the computer that I was concerned with but the data on the computer, especially right before we do our taxes.

Re: Computer help

Best Answer I Can Give
 Been there with SHIT I hope we can make it work ONE MORE TIME.

 My point? What's NEXT?
 Sorry to you that I have not offended. Give me time. I will get to you.

Re: Computer help

I'll find out what it was later but my wife said he fixed it in about a minute and didn't charge anything.

BESTA, It wasn't the computer that I was concerned with but the data on the computer, especially right before we do our taxes.
while shes alive back it all up to an external hard drive