Computer question

none
Can I run two computers to the same printer by using a USB splitter? I have my office computer running my invoicing program that is connected to the printer but it is old so it can't run new payroll and book keeping programs. I want to buy a new lap top just to run those and plug it into a USB cable to print without unplugging the main computer every time. The printer is not wireless. Thanks

Re: Computer question

Hard Nox
I'm not a PC expert on that Network set up stuff by far, but Yes you can. Using a Switch you can hardwire both your PCs and your Printer to recognize each other. Using a Wireless Router it can be set up wireless as long as devices have Wireless capabilities internal.

Have that set up at home. 3 PCs hardwired to 1 multifunction printer using 1 switch.
Have a Wireless Router also to pull in a Laptop and a Smart TV.
With the Router can pull in all the Cell Phones also.

I ran all the Cabling and Hardware myself. Had an Expert come in a take all the bugs out of the Networking set up.

This Networking stuff is a cake walk to those who grew up with it.

I'm sticking to the trade that I know.

A simple Network Switch should be all you need with some basic set up. Both Pcs might just see the single printer when powered up.  Plug it all in and look at "Printers and Devices" on your PCs. The single printer could show up on it's own.

Re: Computer question

I bought this from Amazon when my wireless Brother printer suddenly decided to stop being wireless.    The computers were close enough to use the switch.   Computers are smart enough to know you hadn't flipped the switch, and will hold the data until you do push the button.  The cables by themselves are worth what I paid for the kit.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009OU8PRC

Re: Computer question

dcf1ver
scanner wrote
I bought this from Amazon when my wireless Brother printer suddenly decided to stop being wireless.    The computers were close enough to use the switch.   Computers are smart enough to know you hadn't flipped the switch, and will hold the data until you do push the button.  The cables by themselves are worth what I paid for the kit.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009OU8PRC
LoL Danny youre like an Amazon guru. You find the best stuff on Amazon!!

Re: Computer question

I'm going to go the Amazon route. I don't want to try to do any networking with a 15 year old computer that isn't hooked to the internet.

Thank you all for your help.