Covid Paranoia?????????

Best Answer I Can Give
 Had a guy in yesterday that was telling me that one of the local shops that does TO is making the customer go online and fill out all the paperwork, make a appointment and pay on line.
The waiting room is closed. Must wait outside. Basically no person to person contact. Thus the guy was at my shop.
Now I have never met the guy, but rumor has it he has health issues. So why is he even open? How many are going to jump thru that many hoops?  I don't get it.
He doesn't even own the shop. Why isn't the owner looking for new help? They have to be loosing money.
 $600 will not pay the rent. But it will buy a weapon!

Re: Covid Paranoia?????????

none
There are people who would rather go to someone like that than a shop like ours... and personally I would rather have them go there than come here.

Re: Covid Paranoia?????????

TheSmogDog
Yeah I had an older lady come in the other day and she just would not roll down her window. When she finally did she did not wanna get out of the car or have me in the car. Turned a 12 minute DAD test into a 20 minute fiasco of her arguing about getting out and having me sanitize everything I touched even though i was barely in the car.  I guess she shouldve gone to that shop

Re: Covid Paranoia?????????

There are people who would rather go to someone like that than a shop like ours... and personally I would rather have them go there than come here.
Stop killing my grandma!!

Re: Covid Paranoia?????????

TheSmogDog wrote
Yeah I had an older lady come in the other day and she just would not roll down her window. When she finally did she did not wanna get out of the car or have me in the car. Turned a 12 minute DAD test into a 20 minute fiasco of her arguing about getting out and having me sanitize everything I touched even though i was barely in the car.  I guess she shouldve gone to that shop
Getting her car smog checked is essential

Re: Covid Paranoia?????????

my shops , i leave it up to the customers if they want to wear a mask, but i dont require it, we even provide free masks

On Thu, Dec 17, 2020 at 8:23 AM Best Answer I Can Give [via Stop The Star Program] <[hidden email]> wrote:
 Had a guy in yesterday that was telling me that one of the local shops that does TO is making the customer go online and fill out all the paperwork, make a appointment and pay on line.
The waiting room is closed. Must wait outside. Basically no person to person contact. Thus the guy was at my shop.
Now I have never met the guy, but rumor has it he has health issues. So why is he even open? How many are going to jump thru that many hoops?  I don't get it.
He doesn't even own the shop. Why isn't the owner looking for new help? They have to be loosing money.

http://stop-the-star-program.3084.x6.nabble.com/Covid-Paranoia-tp5082769.html

Kevin Casillas

Re: Covid Paranoia?????????

WealdstoneRaider
That's dumb. He still needs to go in the vehicle to plug the DLC and what not.
want sm'ting I'll give it to ya

Re: Covid Paranoia?????????

ThePharmacist
I had a customer not too long ago called to make an appoint 3 times. The first 2 times no show by the third time I asked him, "Are you actually gonna show up this time?" He said he would and gave me his whole life story on being so afraid of catching covid. So I told him, "It's probably best for you to stay home and have a family member take care of the smog." He tells me, "He has no family members he can trust." Well sure enough he actually showed up and I was very careful with him no direct handing him stuff, like I sat the paperwork on the car and told him to fill it out and grab the pink copy. Just overall an awkward experience. The irony out of all that drama was car was hella dirty on the inside

Re: Covid Paranoia?????????

dano
No One wrote
none wrote
There are people who would rather go to someone like that than a shop like ours... and personally I would rather have them go there than come here.
Stop killing my grandma!!

After all this time someone finally got a pic of Besta!!

Re: Covid Paranoia?????????

xcinlb
We follow all CDC and city guidelines. Starting in January OSHA will have to the power to shut down business that don't follow or have Covid cases without reasonable accommodations. It's best for everyone to just follow the rules, they're not that difficult, Social distancing, wiping surfaces, masks.

Re: Covid Paranoia?????????

none
xcinlb wrote
... Starting in January OSHA will have to the power to shut down business that don't follow or have Covid cases without reasonable accommodations. ..
Do you have a link? Because I don't see anything like that posted on the OSHA website.

Re: Covid Paranoia?????????

xcinlb wrote
We follow all CDC and city guidelines. Starting in January OSHA will have to the power to shut down business that don't follow or have Covid cases without reasonable accommodations. It's best for everyone to just follow the rules, they're not that difficult, Social distancing, wiping surfaces, masks.
How is osha going to stop me from doing smog checks? Are they and BAR in constant communications with each other?

Re: Covid Paranoia?????????

TheSmogDog wrote
Yeah I had an older lady come in the other day and she just would not roll down her window. When she finally did she did not wanna get out of the car or have me in the car. Turned a 12 minute DAD test into a 20 minute fiasco of her arguing about getting out and having me sanitize everything I touched even though i was barely in the car.  I guess she shouldve gone to that shop
before they say anything i tell them they can sit in the passenger side i need to get under the dash but i will not be sitting in the vehicle. most of them dont even say anything after, they feel better when they know exactly what will be going on. this where my bluetooth dad comes handy they pull into my area not all they way in the building.

when it all first started i had a guy spray 409 yes the bathroom cleaner on his steering wheel door and exterior door handle before and after. now i rarely get anyone who just wipes it down with a disinfecting wipe

Re: Covid Paranoia?????????

His_Stigness
No One wrote
xcinlb wrote
We follow all CDC and city guidelines. Starting in January OSHA will have to the power to shut down business that don't follow or have Covid cases without reasonable accommodations. It's best for everyone to just follow the rules, they're not that difficult, Social distancing, wiping surfaces, masks.
How is osha going to stop me from doing smog checks? Are they and BAR in constant communications with each other?
Here is CalOSHA's press release. https://www.dir.ca.gov/DIRNews/2020/2020-99.html

Like the other user said, it's not difficult to keep your distance from customers and wear a mask.

But it's clear from this thread why cases are skyrocketing and ICU capacity is zero in some regions of the state.

Re: Covid Paranoia?????????

none
His_Stigness wrote
Like the other user said, it's not difficult to keep your distance from customers and wear a mask.
Nobody said it was.

It seems like most people are either on one extreme or the other with very few in the middle.

The people that I don't want to deal with are the COVID CRAZIES that are completely over the top.

If someone calls and has concerns I will work with them up to a point. I have had customers who have done everything including payment over the phone and I just ran the test and let them wait outside. I also have them come in at 8:00am before I've gotten into any other cars. I have had people with compromised immune systems years before covid who had me take special precautions. It's a part of the business.

The ones that get me are the ones who act like their health is my sole responsibility and not theirs. They drive messy cars, smoke, and are overweight and haven't done anything to take care of themselves for the last 50 years.

As for the ICU beds, Placer County hasn't had 15% available capacity this time last year or the year before. I don't want anyone to die but this virus is here and we need to deal with it and protect OURSELVES, just like cancer, heart disease, and depression to name a few.

Re: Covid Paranoia?????????

His_Stigness
none wrote
His_Stigness wrote
[...]

I'm okay with the sentiment. A customer shouldn't impose their own procedures onto a business. If you don't agree with how they're handling the pandemic then don't go there, whether you think they're being too serious, or not serious enough.

If a customer doesn't want to come to my shop because I've closed the office and moved the check-in process over the phone, fine. Because in the same vein I don't want customers coming here who refuse to wear masks and comply with my guidelines like pulling their car up to the bay and stepping out. I know there other shops in town that don't give a shit and can go there.

Re: Covid Paranoia?????????

Technician A
Reasonable. Pre covid and now, I will try to accommodate reasonable requests. It's part of doing business. The requests I deem reasonable will differ from others.

Re: Covid Paranoia?????????

xcinlb

Re: Covid Paranoia?????????

BlueSky
xcinlb wrote
Just remember OSHA or Cal/OSHA can only regulate your business if you have employees.  They have no legal authority to enter or shutdown your business if you are an Owner/Operator and have no employees.