Credit card processors

defective
What are you guys using/how do you like them/how are the rates?  Im currently shopping around for a new provider since SparkPay has decided to discontinue service on January 31 2018.  Looking at Helcim/Elevon right now.

Re: Credit card processors

Best Answer I Can Give
 Are you using paper or computer invoice?
Win works has a hell of a system they are trying to get me to try. EVERYTHING is done on ONEinvoice.
If you are paper I will tell you more.

Re: Credit card processors

i use cayan smaller company competitive rates normal chip reader / mag reader none of that wireless email receipt bs. the card reader was included and waived after 2 year contract no upfront purchase requirements.

Re: Credit card processors

Iconcur
i paid 400 bucks to own my terminal, it is a ingenico ict250. i go through us bank wich uses elavon my rates are .19 cents + 2.65% per transaction. or .25 cents +1.99% per transaction the later makes sense if you are accepting more than ~4800 a month through debit/credit card use. and when they bill you they just automatically take it out of your account each month so if you charge $100 you will see that as a deposit so you can trace down transactions better online.

Re: Credit card processors

none
We switched to Heartland for our processing about eight years ago and we have been very happy with them. Their customer service is great and if we have a question we can speak to a real person who has real answers and their rates are good.

I didn't sign a two year contract to start which did not make my rep happy at first but I didn't have a contract with the previous company either which allowed us to drop them because they were crap and we had issues where a few customers were double billed and it took for ever to sort it out with them.

I have always purchased my own terminal and it is worth it if you plan on staying in business for a few years.

I bank with US BANK but their C/C processing rates were high at the time I checked and still sound high to me.

Re: Credit card processors

I'm using Square, and it's 2.75% flat fee for all transactions, unless you take a number remotely.   Then it's 3.75% if a card isn't read or swiped.

https://squareup.com/

I got this in the mail recently.  http://www.autopaymentclub.com/   I have no references for this business, proceed cautiously.

Re: Credit card processors

scanner wrote
... it's 2.75% flat fee for all transactions,...
That sounds high to me since you are a repair shop and your average ticket is much higher. I need to check again but I swear mine is just under 2.0% total and my average ticket is $48.13.

EDIT; I just looked at my statement and it varies by the card as to if it is a rewards card or not and who's it is but it is never as high as 2.75%. it is right a 2% total for last month.

Re: Credit card processors

Best Answer I Can Give
Square is CRAZY high.

Re: Credit card processors

defective
Square is high, but youre also not paying any additional monthly fees.  What, if any, additional fees are you guys paying on top of your per card percentages?

Re: Credit card processors

locopoco
I use square and charge $1.50 extra for processing fee and the customers so far never complained.

ATM next door charges $3 which helps my case alot.

Re: Credit card processors

All my fees are included in the 2% I posted. The fees are always for the previous month and C/C totals for the current month on my bill so I took the total fees from this month compared to totals on last months statement.

I would give more particulars but I don't want to post too much of my financial information on a public forum. I would say it is worth a call to Heartland to check it out. (There is nothing in it for me. I just like the guy)

Here is the information for my rep who I am very happy with;

Troy Schmidt at Heartland Payment Systems
cell (530)305-7188
troy.schmidt@e-hps.com

Re: Credit card processors

 (There is nothing in it for me. I just like the guy)
haha none likes guys

Re: Credit card processors

locopoco wrote
I use square and charge $1.50 extra for processing fee...
Not that I think you would ever run into a problem with this BUT most credit card processing companies prohibit us from charging a fee in the contract.

Re: Credit card processors

BasicTech678 wrote
none wrote
 (There is nothing in it for me. I just like the guy)
haha none likes guys
YES. I would even say LOVE as in "PHILIA"

Philia (/ˈfɪljə/ or /ˈfɪliə/; Ancient Greek: φιλία), often translated "brotherly love", is one of the four ancient Greek words for love: philia, storge, agape and eros. In Aristotle's Nicomachean Ethics, philia is usually translated as "friendship" or affection. The complete opposite is called a phobia.

Dare I say "I like you guys too."   ()

Re: Credit card processors

Newbiesmogtech
Thats actually illegal in the state of california, Just do what arco and many other gas stations do. Put 2 signs advertising cash and credit transaction, have a higher rate for your credit transactions to cover per swipe fee. We're not allowed to charge extra because of card transactions. But theres a loophole for that. Also make sure you document it in your receipt. To answer OP's question i signed up for paypal here. Free card reader, no monthly fees, but they do charge very high for transaction. 2.75% per swipe. The transfer from paypal balance to bank account is also free. You can also get a paypal card for free, works just like a debit card..Looking for other options though...

The loophole is, discount for paying with cash

Re: Credit card processors

defective
Thanks for all the input guys.  Since we were "beta" users for Spark, there was no monthly fee, and we were only paying 1.5% for all card present Visa+MC+Discover transactions.  Everything now is over 2% which sucks.  Looking at Helcim/Elavon(interchange+) and Costco/Elavon(tiered) right now.  Costco is 1.22% +$0.12 per transaction on "qualified" charges, + additional fees, so It might end up costing more in the end.  Some fees are waived if youre a Costco member though, so we'll see...

Re: Credit card processors

Best Answer I Can Give
 Win works is coming up with some cool stuff. The invoicing computer does it all. Credit cards. Advantage? ONE LESS PIECE OF PAPER.
They also have a deal where you can send people E Mail reminders. No cost of postage.
If you go with the car fax deal, it looks up all the vehicle info for you.
 Has the vehicle been in before. Major advantage.
It will do all the book work\end of day stuff for you.

 Sorry people I like win Works. It makes my wife a happy person.

Re: Credit card processors

BlueSky
locopoco wrote
I use square and charge $1.50 extra for processing fee...
Not that I think you would ever run into a problem with this BUT most credit card processing companies prohibit us from charging a fee in the contract.
There was a federal court ruling January 27, 2013 that allows us to recover costs that credit card companies charge us.  California does have a law that prohibits us from charging the customer a fee but for now it is not being enforced.

From the California Attorney Generals webpage it says this..."In 1985, California passed a law that prohibits merchants from adding a surcharge (an extra fee) when customers pay by credit card instead of cash. That law does allow merchants to give customers discounts for paying by cash, check, or debit card, as long as that discount is offered to all customers. In March 2015, however, a federal court declared that law unconstitutional and prohibited the Office of the Attorney General from enforcing it. The Office believes that this decision is incorrect and is currently appealing that order. For now, though, the Office cannot enforce that specific law."

Re: Credit card processors

INLANDSMOG
DFG, great people!!!!
http://dfg-damar.com/

Shannon is the contact for most of CA I believe...