Current smog tech pay

none
I'm trying to get an idea on what a smog tech should get paid. Particularly I'm asking about a tech that just does inspections, no repair or service writing. I realize that those responsibilities bring more money.

I want to hire another person to just do inspections and not cash out customers but I am offering $25/hour to start and not getting any real response. Am I too low or is it a bad time of year to hire?

Re: Current smog tech pay

TheSmogDog
At the shop I work at I currently make $15 per hour plus commission. Commission is $10 per car I inspect after the first 10 cars. So if I do 22 smogs its an extra $120 that day. So depending on the day it is most likely pretty close to that $25 per hour amount youre offering. I think thats pretty decent pay for just TO. Might just be a bad time.

Re: Current smog tech pay

manboobs
Earlier this year I was applying to multiple places and most of them ranged from $16-$25 for an EO and $30-$35 for an EI.  I'm near the SF Bay Area if that helps at all.  I've heard from other shops that the pool of available inspectors has dwindled significantly.  One of my previous employers had to come out of "semi-retirement" to do smogs again to keep his shop afloat due to no one applying to his multiple wanted ads.

Re: Current smog tech pay

I'm trying to get an idea on what a smog tech should get paid. Particularly I'm asking about a tech that just does inspections, no repair or service writing. I realize that those responsibilities bring more money.

I want to hire another person to just do inspections and not cash out customers but I am offering $25/hour to start and not getting any real response. Am I too low or is it a bad time of year to hire?
It all depends in the area. But $25/hr is consider really good.

You are in Sacramento area?

Re: Current smog tech pay

WealdstoneRaider
That's about average. I run a TO for an absentee owner and am in the 30's. EI positions in my area are flat so no getting dirty for me at the moment. You're only open 5 days right? So that's about 52k gross? Auburn seems pricey for that salary.
want sm'ting I'll give it to ya

Re: Current smog tech pay

Thanks for the input guys.

Yeah, I'm in Auburn, east of Sacramento. I wouldn't say we are a wealth part of the state at all. I have got a couple of promising replies on Friday so hopefully I can get another guy sooner than later.

I've run this place by myself for years but I don't really want to anymore and am usually too busy for one person. PLUS it's nice to not work alone and have someone to chat with at times.

Re: Current smog tech pay

Thanks for the input guys.

Yeah, I'm in Auburn, east of Sacramento. I wouldn't say we are a wealth part of the state at all. I have got a couple of promising replies on Friday so hopefully I can get another guy sooner than later.

I've run this place by myself for years but I don't really want to anymore and am usually too busy for one person. PLUS it's nice to not work alone and have someone to chat with at times.
I would work for you but you are quite far. :)

Re: Current smog tech pay

His_Stigness
I was making $25/hr at a previous shop doing just inspections. I felt, and still feel that was very fair when you consider I was only responsible for doing smogs. I did 10-20 a day by myself and worked with the owner and we split inspections evenly.

But I wanted to work closer to home and the conditions were deteriorating. I'm now making considerably less per hour while running the shop by myself. I'm hoping to expand the shop to repairs and other services so I can make more money, but I have little hope.

So yes, $25/hr is reasonable and you just need to wait it out.

Re: Current smog tech pay

SOLO310
Where are you located

Re: Current smog tech pay

yalo
When Im looking for tech sometimes I have a lot of calls and sometimes none. Your advertised rate is good for your area. Try to go around neighborhood shops and give your contact directly to techs, some of them will have relatives or friends looking for a job.