Customers asking for illegal smogs

drivecycle
happens on almost daily basis at my shop. how do you handle it?

customers coming in asking for the previous owner by name to do illegal smog because he passed it for them last time. Which is how I found out the guy I bought the shop from is under investigation by the BAR. Actually the BAR has completed its investigation and it is now awaiting a ruling from the judge.

Judging from the sheer number of customers requesting him by name this guy must have done hundreds of illegal smogs. I worked at the place for only a month and I get these customers everyday. Its a big waste of my time having to explain to these fools I don't do illegal smogs and the previous owner was busted for it so he cant do it anymore. The seller never told me about any of this. Just said he was tired of the business but now I know the real reason. In light of all this it is worth quite a bit less than what I bought it for. If I knew about all these legal problems with the shop I never would have bought it. Luckily I bought the shop on installment plan instead of paying for it all at once. My lawyer said I could sue him for failing to disclose critical information  about the business (ie: fraud) which I will be doing if he doesn't reduce the price by 20k. Before I buy a shop I always ask if they do illegal smogs, and he said no/never so he lied about that too. What a crook.

Re: Customers asking for illegal smogs

drivecycle wrote
happens on almost daily basis at my shop. how do you handle it?
We simply tell them "NO" as many times as necessary to drive the point home.
... In light of all this it is worth quite a bit less than what I bought it for ...
I don't quite follow your thought process here.

When I started working for my previous shop in '95, the new owner had to deal with the after-effects of a dirty previous owner, but all it took was a firm "NO" as needed.  When I started working at my current shop in '01, the previous tech (now deceased) had funded his meth habit with dirty smogs.  It took us a couple of years to convince all of his old customers that there would be no more funny business, but in the last 17 years we have spent far more effort dealing with literally thousands of requests for "air" than we have dealing with requests for dirty smogs.

Re: Customers asking for illegal smogs

I don't get a whole lot of people looking for passes, and I have never had one that wouldn't take no for an answer the first time, but if I ever  did, I'd use the opportunity to let off a little steam!
Loaded for bear, licensed for quail.

Re: Customers asking for illegal smogs

Re: Customers asking for illegal smogs

MikesFB6
A big sign might to the trick

 “NOW PERFORMING LEGAL SMOGS”

Re: Customers asking for illegal smogs

locopoco
I had a young guy maybe in his early 20's last week with a 5 series BMW with his phone number advertised on the vehicle drive in to my bay telling me if I need to pass an illegal smog he could do it,no mather what. He said just give me the info and I'll take care of it.

He was still talking as I told him NO,and he promptly left quickly.

Re: Customers asking for illegal smogs

Best Answer I Can Give
 Under New Owner, sign might help. What? $10 bucks to get business cards printed up. Have some made with the old owners name\a phony name.

 John Smith
 Illegal Smog Check Done

 Send paperwork to the local Grey Bar Motel.
I will do it after I get out for doing them before.

 Point is make us some card that says why you don't do them and what happens to those that do.

Re: Customers asking for illegal smogs

Re: Customers asking for illegal smogs

San Jose Tech
Richmond shop ?

Re: Customers asking for illegal smogs

Samy
I remember last year there was a guy asking the same thing. What would it cost to make my car pass and I need that cert right now I have cash in the car. I told it is very simple and a little bit expensive. He said what ever the price I'll make you happy. I said how about $200,000 that would give you the key for my shop and the code to get in to my smog machine then you can do what ever you want Lol. He just turned around and never came back.

Re: Customers asking for illegal smogs

defective
Years ago, a shop down the street from me got shut down, and for the following year, I would get his special customers trickle in asking "how much?"  One lady told me she was paying him for years to pass her car, and I told her it couldve been properly fixed for the amount she had paid out.  I dont draw it out with these people.  Usually a simple no will have them out the door quick.

Re: Customers asking for illegal smogs

So did you end up getting the discount you wanted due to emotional distress?
Exercise and dividends,dividends, DIVIDENDS.

Re: Customers asking for illegal smogs

Re: Customers asking for illegal smogs

Illegal smog checks are in the decline and people asking me for them are on the rise.

Re: Customers asking for illegal smogs

Able
Congrats on being a new owner of a shop.

Lots of work and lots of money too.

Have a big sign saying, We do not perform any illegal smogs, please dont ask" that should help right?

Re: Customers asking for illegal smogs

His_Stigness
Either just lie and say, "Sure, I'll smog it. And I'll even give you a deal and do it for X price." With X being your normal price. Take money from the idiots.

But for those that insist it be done illegally just note down the license plate and report them to the BAR OIS Help Desk. I've had people offer me money to do illegal smogs and I report them to the BAR and it gets sent to enforcement.

My favorite was a Challenger I had failed for being tampered out the ass. A shop owner, not the customer, came back and was trying to bribe me and my boss. He kept saying he needed it to pass, blah blah blah. Then he started offering me THOUSANDS of dollars, and at that point I started yelling at him to get out. And it was after he left that my boss told me he offered him $500. But after he left I called the BAR along with the previous VIR. A few days later they called me back to thank me (and commend me on my VIR documentation), and told me it had been forwarded to enforcement and the car was now locked out and it had to go to a Ref.

But then, I've tried to report other cars via email and whoever responds just shrugs it off and basically asks me why I care.

Re: Customers asking for illegal smogs

Lili
I take a look at the car first or the failure paper to see if I can fix it. Sometimes there is no problem at all.
The monitor not ready and it's ready by the time it gets to me. Perfect..

.If the price is reasonable a lot of times the customer will go for it instead of just illegal it.

A phone call, a customer asking question it's all business and future customers..

Of course if you are a tech only it's different Mentality where you can careless about shop.

Only you and your precious license.

How come it sounds I am sour against smog techs....

Workers todays are not the same ..

Re: Customers asking for illegal smogs

none
I own my shop and any customer who is looking for an illegal smog is not the type of customer I want. They are just looking for a short term solution.

Plus I look at it as rather insulting that they think I can be easily bought to do illegal activity.

I am fortunate to be very busy that I turn away the bottom feeder customers all the time. It is something I learned when I was running this place as a repair shop. You need to get rid of the bottom 5% of your customers to make room for the new good customers. The bottom 5% are the ones who add the most of your stress and least profit. These are the ones who take your time by being so stressed(drama kings) so you spend way too much time explaining stuff and reassuring them, the "ever-since" people, The coupon or internet parts price people, or the junky car that every job goes sideways.