D-182-53

Smogtech
This failed for 95 and older without obd2 plug ?

https://arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/eo/D-182-53.pdf

Re: D-182-53

D Rochells 150861
No, it's legal on PC and LDT1 pre-95 and it covers 94-95 with OBDII. Theres some confusion about whether pre 96 with OBDII needs to have a OBDII EFN match converter. The way the book reads, pre 96 don't need to match anything but PC, LDT1 etc.
זאר
Join the Smog Union!
http://www.smogunion.org/

Click to Donate Now!

Re: D-182-53

D Rochells 150861
Correction, the ET blast does specify that OBDII equipped need to match EFN etc. However I think that since they were not required to have OBDII and were not certified as such BAR is wrong. Furthermore since it is an ET blast it is not actually adopted into regulation.
זאר
Join the Smog Union!
http://www.smogunion.org/

Click to Donate Now!

Re: D-182-53

Just more proof that ASM and the current program is ending. OIS on 96 and above is coming. Cost of equipment, confusing rules, lowering of the vehicle pool, all signs are there. Think about the resources that BAR has to use to continue. Just does not make logistical sense.

Re: D-182-53

Best Answer I Can Give
 How many times have I said "Can of Worms"?

 California is a world of it's own. We have vehicles that would be rusted in other States. A STAR grading system that is just a bottomless pit that causes law makers to make laws that break laws.

 World of HURT.

 Damn I glad I turn 63 next month.

Re: D-182-53

It's gonna be funny when we switch to electric cars and the air is still the dirtiest in the country. BAR only stops the poor people in the room from farting, it's too scared to tell the big fat rich guys they stink.
זאר
Join the Smog Union!
http://www.smogunion.org/

Click to Donate Now!

Re: D-182-53

Bar, resources ? unlimited ! The owners just got highwayrobbed again ! HOw many had to purchase the 20,000 dollar machine ? my boss just did , and has to cut down my hours just to pay this machine and now it is said 1996 and older will get OIS ? aggggh!

Re: D-182-53

1111
cant believe everything you read on the internet

Re: D-182-53

none
I don't think we are dropping the BAR 97 anytime too soon.

Re: D-182-53

D Rochells 150861
I almost dropped the BAR97 a few weeks ago by not unplugging the OBD cable after the test. I did that once before and it did fall over, worked fine afterwords, no tamper either. Gen2 FTW.
זאר
Join the Smog Union!
http://www.smogunion.org/

Click to Donate Now!

Re: D-182-53

Centralized Smog
D wrote
No, it's legal on PC and LDT1 pre-95 and it covers 94-95 with OBDII. Theres some confusion about whether pre 96 with OBDII needs to have a OBDII EFN match converter. The way the book reads, pre 96 don't need to match anything but PC, LDT1 etc.
I am going to disagree with you. The EO states the cat is for select 1994-2006 vehicles equipped with OBD2. So if it is not one of those select vehicles, then I will fail it.

Re: D-182-53

D Rochells 150861
https://www.bar.ca.gov/PubWebQuery/EtBlast/PrintMsg.aspx?QryMessageKey=34105

"For Pre-OBDII Vehicles, inspectors shall use the EO number to verify the CAT falls within the correct vehicle category, either PC-1, PC-2, T-1, or T-2. Refer to the ARB Web site for a separate Pre-OBDII EO Listing containing the EO numbers and corresponding vehicle categories. Inspectors are not required to check specific vehicle application using the series or part numbers."

Part of the problem here is BAR and ARB not talking together, BAR says pre obd2 just match the category, but ARB seems to imply that's not the case. They say T1 someplaces but LDT1 other places. Again, that ET blast is not adopted to regulations. Going by the smog books we need to follow ARB's instructions, so who the hell knows what they really want. They need to get off their asses and give us a widget that lets us enter all the details and tells us pass or fail. But again, fuck BAR and ARB, for various reasons.

זאר
Join the Smog Union!
http://www.smogunion.org/

Click to Donate Now!

Re: D-182-53

I think that the difference of pass/fail opinion lies in the OBDII part.

My understanding is that if a car comes in with a cat certified for a PC-1 with OBDII on a pre-OBDII car that is PC-1 it should still pass because that cat is PC-1 and on pre_obdII we don't need to worry about part # and EFN. That said I just rejected an old Rabbit the other day that had a OBDII type cat on it because it would probably fail as tampered latter so I sent them to the REF to hopefully label it for that cat.

Re: D-182-53

stopstar1234
Ya I don't think they are dropping the bar97 at all.. especially since they came out with a new machine. I mean I for one kinda like the bar97 because it actually works.. the OIS doesn't smell anything so doesn't know if indeed the emissions is accurate.. ive smelled cars for the OIS with my own sniffer and I know its wouldn't pass on the bar97.. so I took it to the test jussst to see 2000 chevy Silverado passed everything OIS no smoke nothing but smelled sooooo bad so I went to the bar97 manual mode and sure enough it would have failed  emissions.. If anything I think they might start raising the year of ASM test its there money maker more cars fail more money for the state

Re: D-182-53

Nfa2o
Besta thanks for letting us know ur 62 , I was feeling like shit cause I turned 49, good day 😁

Re: D-182-53

Best Answer I Can Give
 52\53 JUST wait. It all turns to SHIT. Who turned out the lights. Can't see worth a DAMN in the dark. You learn to carry a flashlight.
That wake up call that starts to happen a 4\5 AM. Wake up you need to go PEE. Just another hour please.
Around 60 all those bones you broke. WELL THEY TELL YOU YOU BROKE THEM. Ain't Fun.

Re: D-182-53

Centralized Smog
Obd2 cats should not be listed as PC-1, T-1, T-2, etc... They should be listed as PC, LDT1, MDV1, etc.. The LDT1 does not indicate only 1 cat for each bank. The number at the end is determined by the weight of the vehicle.

There are also 94 and 95 vehicles that are OBD2 certified. In those instances the correct OBD2 cat should be used. The cat's cert level is pre-obd2 and not pre-1996.

Re: D-182-53

JM,

Where did you get this information, regarding 96+ are OIS?

Re: D-182-53

If OBD2 was not a requirement then how are they certified? They are prototypes and should not be held to OBD2 standards, we don't test for monitors etc.
זאר
Join the Smog Union!
http://www.smogunion.org/

Click to Donate Now!

Re: D-182-53

none
Prototype or not, it says OBDII on some 1994 and 1995 Emission labels. On those I check EO#, Part#, and EFN.