DO DIESEL ELBOW REQUIRE AN EO #?

MIGI G
There's an aftermarket  diesel add-on Part, BANKS Hi Ram Elbow. I look at the smog check manual and it says no EO number but it says reference to intakes appendix G I believe. Which makes it confusing it states that intake manifold can be replace with a different material like aluminum instead of cast iron. But if it's aftermarket and design differently then it needs a EO #. I know the banks High Ram elbow is aftermarket and design differently than the original so does he need an EO number or not?

 appreciate any feedback thank you for reading:]

Re: DO DIESEL ELBOW REQUIRE AN EO #?

BasicTech678
MIGI G wrote
There's an aftermarket  diesel add-on Part, BANKS Hi Ram Elbow. I look at the smog check manual and it says no EO number but it says reference to intakes appendix G I believe. Which makes it confusing it states that intake manifold can be replace with a different material like aluminum instead of cast iron. But if it's aftermarket and design differently then it needs a EO #. I know the banks High Ram elbow is aftermarket and design differently than the original so does he need an EO number or not?

 appreciate any feedback thank you for reading:]
as long as oem components can be reused on the intake it no longer requires an EO for the intake manifold

Re: DO DIESEL ELBOW REQUIRE AN EO #?

the "elbow" is part of the "Air Intake", Not the "Intake Manifold".
The Intake Manifold delivers air to the individual cylinders.
The "elbow" delivers air from the air filter to the intake manifold

Re: DO DIESEL ELBOW REQUIRE AN EO #?

kfworry
The "Air Intake" is Before the Throttle Plate
The "Intake Manifold" is After the throttle plate.
Not one in the same part.

Re: DO DIESEL ELBOW REQUIRE AN EO #?

kfworry wrote
the "elbow" is part of the "Air Intake", Not the "Intake Manifold".
The Intake Manifold delivers air to the individual cylinders.
The "elbow" delivers air from the air filter to the intake manifold
Intake Manifold
– including diesel air horn or elbow

according to appendix g its the same 'component'

Intake Manifolds
For the purposes of a Smog Check inspection, an aftermarket intake manifold that includes
provisions for the OEM emission controls (EGR, TAC, fuel injection, carburetor, thermal
switches, heat stove, exhaust cross-over etc.) is acceptable, provided the manufacturer
markets the manifold as a replacement for the factory original. The replacement manifold
may be made of a different material than the original, for example aluminum instead of cast
iro

Re: DO DIESEL ELBOW REQUIRE AN EO #?

The smog check manual refers to taking a "cast iron" intake manifold off
and installing an "aluminum" intake manifold providing emission components
are on replacement manifold.
A common theme on small block Chevrolet Engines,
all perfectly legal.

Re: DO DIESEL ELBOW REQUIRE AN EO #?

kfworry
Legal Without a CARB EO number.

Re: DO DIESEL ELBOW REQUIRE AN EO #?

In that situation I probably would have gone to the manufacturer's website. And looked for a compliant statement at which point I would have printed it and attached it to the shop paperwork a lot of these newer aftermarket intakes do not require an executive order number. In the area where I'm at we deal with a lot of aftermarket bolt on diesel stuff and you'd be surprised how much of it doesn't need a compliance order. I deal with a lot of guys that just like to order s*** from mail order catalogs. Because it bolts on

On Mon, Feb 11, 2019, 1:35 PM MIGI G [via Stop The Star Program] <[hidden email] wrote:
There's an aftermarket  diesel add-on Part, BANKS Hi Ram Elbow. I look at the smog check manual and it says no EO number but it says reference to intakes appendix G I believe. Which makes it confusing it states that intake manifold can be replace with a different material like aluminum instead of cast iron. But if it's aftermarket and design differently then it needs a EO #. I know the banks High Ram elbow is aftermarket and design differently than the original so does he need an EO number or not?

 appreciate any feedback thank you for reading:]

http://stop-the-star-program.3084.x6.nabble.com/DO-DIESEL-ELBOW-REQUIRE-AN-EO-tp5071859.html

Re: DO DIESEL ELBOW REQUIRE AN EO #?

none
BUT it doesn't need and EO# per the the table on page 51 of the 2017 smog check manual. https://bar.ca.gov/pdf/2017_Smog_Check_Manual.pdf

"Intake Manifold 2–including diesel airhorn or elbow"

And this exact BANKS air horn is what I think they showed on the BAR diesel training video.

https://bartraining.articulate-online.com/p/8067276826/DocumentViewRouter.ashx?Cust=80672&DocumentID=d520ec1d-d6b3-4765-a314-773c736ce187&Popped=True&v=3&&InitialPage=player.html

Re: DO DIESEL ELBOW REQUIRE AN EO #?

BUT it doesn't need and EO# per the the table on page 51 of the 2017 smog check manual. https://bar.ca.gov/pdf/2017_Smog_Check_Manual.pdf

"Intake Manifold 2–including diesel airhorn or elbow"

And this exact BANKS air horn is what I think they showed on the BAR diesel training video.

https://bartraining.articulate-online.com/p/8067276826/DocumentViewRouter.ashx?Cust=80672&DocumentID=d520ec1d-d6b3-4765-a314-773c736ce187&Popped=True&v=3&&InitialPage=player.html
BAR need to do the training part of the Inspector Update just like the Diesel one you listed.  You can go straight to the part where it tells you what to do.   It would have come in handy when we had that discussion of inspecting cats on lowered vehicles.