DREW OIS USB cable replacement

kilativ

Does any one knows if Generic USB to COM cable will work with DREW OIS?
Where to buy it, and how much is it?

Re: DREW OIS USB cable replacement

FiendFX
I've already tried.. only from drew.. I believe $50..

Re: DREW OIS USB cable replacement

Best Answer I Can Give
 Drew and Drew only. There is a chip inside.

Re: DREW OIS USB cable replacement

mikesmobile
Here is the page for that part.
http://www.drewtech.com/emissions/products/cablesdad.html

Tip: Those cables get a lot of stress at the connector.
Tape it up
Mike

Re: DREW OIS USB cable replacement

I have 3,638 inspections done on my Smog DADdy's original 15 ft. OBD cord, and it looks almost new, except for a few scuff marks where my service writer shut the driver's door on it.  It has much longer strain reliefs at each end than the Drew pictured above.

Re: DREW OIS USB cable replacement

Johnnybeme
My cable went last week when the black wire finally gave way. There is no replacement without getting it from drew. Don't even try.

Re: DREW OIS USB cable replacement

kilativ
Thanks everybody's advice, ordered it from DREW.
Saved some time and money not to buying a generic cable.
IMclean USB Cable $50.00
California Sales Tax: $6.23
UPS Ground: $12.28
Grand Total: $68.51

Re: DREW OIS USB cable replacement

locopoco
I know you've ordered the cable but for the record I have extensions on both sides of the OIS from the day first and never had any problems.

Re: DREW OIS USB cable replacement

kilativ
Any pictures for further ideas? What do you mean by "extensions on both ends"?

Re: DREW OIS USB cable replacement

Best Answer I Can Give
 You guys kill me. COST OF DOING BUSINESS.

 How much Zero air have you HAD TO BUY?. How much Certified Calibration Gas have you bought. Shit, you have saved a ton of money. OIS COST YOU LESS. Why are you bitching.

 Fucking complain if you were hung with a new rope.

Re: DREW OIS USB cable replacement

BasicTech678
also using smog daddy but Bluetooth only short obd2 cable about 3ft long about 2 years minimal wear it still coils its up after unplugging. blue tooth reaches about 25ft-30ft before it laggs.

Re: DREW OIS USB cable replacement

Complaining about everything is a requirement of the Smog Check Rules and Regulations for technicians. Just like keeping your mouth shut and letting stupid shit become regulations is part of BAR employee guidelines.

Re: DREW OIS USB cable replacement

locopoco
The side that goes to the PC

And the side that goes to the vehicle DLC

Noticed I have extenders or gender changers on the Db-9 ports also to protect them from constant  plugging and unplugging.

Re: DREW OIS USB cable replacement

Best Answer I Can Give
 Pull it if a BAR Rep walks in

Re: DREW OIS USB cable replacement

You can extend either side but the cable in between better be DREW or it just won't work. Sorry.

 "Pull it if a BAR Rep walks in"
I already did twice.

Re: DREW OIS USB cable replacement

locopoco
"You can extend either side but the cable in between better be DREW or it just won't work. Sorry. "
Yes you're right both ends needs to be Drew the middle doesn't matter.

Re: DREW OIS USB cable replacement

none
Well now you got me thinking. It looks like it is a DB15 cable end. I shure would like my OBDII cable to be longer like the optional DREW cable or the APPLUS cable.

I might try this one. https://www.amazon.com/CableWholesales-Monitor-Extension-Female-Conductor/dp/B000I1GD6Q/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1490987519&sr=8-5&keywords=DB15+Male+to+DB15+Female+Extension+Serial+Cable

Re: DREW OIS USB cable replacement

locopoco
None,you're right one is a DB-15 and the other is DB-9, I think I ordered both cables and the gender changers from cables.com,although I've to say I'm not sure.
Generally I don't use Bluetooth and my OIS usually is stationary,But I could imagine some stations everyday plugging in&out would cause a lot of stress on the solder joints and ultimately cause communication failure.

Re: DREW OIS USB cable replacement

Lose weight
xcinlb what's the return policy for scan net since you're going to have to buy a Drew one according to this thread?
Bunch of plumpy hens stop overeating!
12