Dam door change.... clean plug?

Able
Read it here a while back someone had a citation because the vin didn't match due to a door change.

Finally happened to me. Customer smogged at my station and went to triple A for tags....you can guess what happened next. Customer called and was pissed.

He came back to my shop and we doubled checked.... turns out the door jam and chassis didn't match. I explained to the customer and offer to retest for $20. He was still not happy, but complied.

I mean it's an honest mistake. NOW WHAT ABOUT THE PART WITH THE BAR? from their end, it looked like I cleaned plug. Dam...i kept both records and made some notes.

Am I okay? Is a citation expected? Nobody wants attention from BAR.

Re: Dam door change.... clean plug?

Thick6
Shouldn't be charging the costumer $20 for ur own mistake. The door is not a good place to verify the VIN.

Re: Dam door change.... clean plug?

I have done that at least once, and my shop did the test again for free.  I have caught several customers intentionally trying to give me paperwork for a similar vehicle, hoping that I'll just scan the paper without verifying it.  Homey don't play that.

Re: Dam door change.... clean plug?

smog man
It didn't pop up a, mismatch message?

Re: Dam door change.... clean plug?

Johnnybeme
I agree Smogman , I have had OIS save my ass several times. If the person does not bring DMV then the cowl needs to be checked and I always require current registration in lieu of DMV paperwork. Customers are not without blame also cause you know they know.

Re: Dam door change.... clean plug?

Best Answer I Can Give
 Able, You Charged the guy? Do you want him back? Do you want him to tell friends?

 The 10 bucks you lose. CHEAP.
 You made a mistake. You and you alone. The car owner may have handed you the WRONG paper work. The Door might be wrong. BUT YOU SCREWED UP!

                                                    HELL! WE ALL DO!

 I did one, took a ding for an abort. Could not find a Bar Code on the truck. Scanned the paper work for a gas powered car.
Only saw it after it started asking me gas question instead of Diesel, then i saw what I did, ABORT. DING.
I even put that down, I screwed up.

 Why do you think OIS wants both. TO STOP THESE SCREW UP'S.
I have done several thru the years. ALL WERE DONE AGAIN AT NO CHARGE.

 A bunch of post on this site is about STUPID people. Why do you think that is?

Re: Dam door change.... clean plug?

Able
95% of my scans are from door jam so I thought it was all good.

Re: Dam door change.... clean plug?

i had a similar situation i called my local bar office my self explained the situation they said nothing they could do about it. then my local bar rep came i explained scanned a waiting vehicle form, smogged the car (honda), then smoged  the waiting customer (benz) but i scanned the benz paper work both times. he just said you know how this looks i said yea like im trying to clean plug the honda, but i told him it was the actual car getting smoged just wrong info. i showed how the visual were different and also on my side the proper car data was uploaded and tail pipe info. just a paper work mistake both were on bar-97 prior to ois. just documented and said be careful. i told him look as soon as i caught my mistake i called up the office my self i dont need to clean plug. customer came back month later as i didnt have her number i explained my mistake smoged FOR FREE MY MISTAKE all was good

Re: Dam door change.... clean plug?

StarTech
1. You must verify the vin with the dash when scanning off just paperwork alone or even door jambs.
2. A good eye the one that you use to find undercover cars is needed so you can tell the door is changed without even looking at the vin. Train yourself
3. It's your responsibility to check that you're smogging the correct car.
4.  The car you actually smogged, if it failed- and they find out could possibly sue you for lowering the value of their car . I know I would if someone did that to my car.
5. You signed the VIR stating that the information is correct. It's up to you to check.

Re: Dam door change.... clean plug?

StarTech wrote
... The car you actually smogged, if it failed- and they find out could possibly sue you for lowering the value of their car . I know I would if someone did that to my car ...
There is a 99.9% chance that the car which donated the driver's door is no longer in service.  But I get your point anyway.

Re: Dam door change.... clean plug?

StarTech
yep that could very well be true.  Also , although rare , the scanner could incorrectly scan a wrong vin as well if its dirty. (OIS sees alot of this)

Re: Dam door change.... clean plug?

I just did that the other day. I tested a FJ Cruiser for a car dealer with no plates. Unfortunately for me, the door had been replaced. The customer brought it back in and was very easy going so I could correct the mistake and I wrote on the VIN bar code with a Sharpie pen "WRONG VIN".

Re: Dam door change.... clean plug?

I usually take a single-edge razor blade and mangle the wrong VIN and bar-code.  Just tryna look out for my future peeps ...

Re: Dam door change.... clean plug?

Best Answer I Can Give
 This goes back to my biggest complaint. Did Able do it to cheat? Or did he just make a mistake that we all have?

 In the eyes of the BAR he tried to cheat. No he made a mistake. They do and we do. We must pay for our mistake with worry.
The car makers are not helping us. BAR thinking, You put in numbers by hand you must be trying to heat. How about the fact that the FUCKING FORD's put the Bar code label on the B pilllar, and it's a fucking BITCH trying to get it to scan. The new Chrysler's that stick the Bar code so far under the dash cover. Yes you can see it. No way in hell will my scanner read it. Just had a Cadi, same problem.

 MR Barry just must have it WONDERFUL. The POS I get in seems like they never have any paperwork with them for the car. If they do it's a old DMV form, straight from the DMV. You know the one with no Bar code. Plus it's from 2 years ago.

 It just seems to me that every time something goes south WE MUST BE CHEATING.
Come on BAR cheaters are stupid. Every car is put in manually. Why would some one put one in and do 50 the way you want? Maybe the consumer didn't have the needed paper work.
Just like you have done 100 chevy pick up evap's and you miss one. Maybe the wrong button got pushed.
Cheaters cheat. They are to STUPID to do it right.
One wrong VIN out of Hundreds? Give me a break.

Re: Dam door change.... clean plug?

barrym95838 wrote
I usually take a single-edge razor blade and mangle the wrong VIN and bar-code.  Just tryna look out for my future peeps ...

I used the Sharpie pen to block out a section of the bar code also so it wouldn't scan for future peeps. That with it saying "WRONG VIN" on it, If someone still hand types it and proceeds with the smog with "no match", since it should have plates by then, it is their own fault.

The thought of pealing the label did cross my mind by the new owner was so nice about it and that could change if I start mangling their new car.

Re: Dam door change.... clean plug?

Kriss Vector

Re: Dam door change.... clean plug?

kfworry
It adds up to verifying the VIN after you scan it.
Blame it on yourself if the VIN is not right.
It is called miss placed blame people.

Re: Dam door change.... clean plug?

none
kfworry wrote
It adds up to verifying the VIN after you scan it.
Blame it on yourself if the VIN is not right.
It is called miss placed blame people.
Since I resurrected this thread and you say this now I will respond. I wasn't blaming anyone else. That is why I tested it no-charge and got them in and out quickly. I hope I never came across as perfect or faultless. I make my fair share of mistakes but try to learn from them so I don't repeat them.

BTW, I did verify the VIN, it was just the wrong VIN. The dash VINs on Toyotas are difficult for me to read so I usually read the black on white label. If it had plates it would have made it idiot proofed for me by telling me I screwed up even.

Re: Dam door change.... clean plug?

Best Answer I Can Give
 The deal is, WE ALL SCREW UP. The FACT that the minute you screw up we all have to worry about BIG BROTHER coming down to bust you.