Diagnosis over the internet? Possible? Legal?

Diagnosis over the internet? Possible? Legal?

Johnny
I thought that after failure repairs were to be performed by a licensed technician in an approved station? According to HS 44032 can this outfit do this?

http://www.smogtips.com/smog_evaluations.cfm

Johnny

Re: Diagnosis over the internet? Possible? Legal?

007
The custimor has the right to fix his own car and he can do so by what ever means possiable, I worked for a online tech site for along time and supplied information to do it yourselfers and shops all the time.

Re: Diagnosis over the internet? Possible? Legal?

by stating that they can explain the "possible " faults , i think they are covered . But i do not know how "legal " it is . I don't think that BAR cares anyway since they are too busy with their fundraisers aka undercover runs .

Re: Diagnosis over the internet? Possible? Legal?

When was the last time you guys saw a VIR with freeze-frame data?

barrym95838
EO144107

Re: Diagnosis over the internet? Possible? Legal?

007
never, you have

Re: Diagnosis over the internet? Possible? Legal?

I just followed Johnny's link, and found this:

barrym95838
EO144107

Re: Diagnosis over the internet? Possible? Legal?

Johnny
Fu-u-n-n-y! I did not get that far but you see what I mean? It is a scam. $12.95 for what? The test is a clerical document not a technical resource. This site says it helps when it can't. They pretend to facilitate while just taking the money. I wonder who they refer to, would be interesting.

Re: Diagnosis over the internet? Possible? Legal?

Before he got into some trouble for domestic violence, there was a guy who called himself the Car Czar with a Sunday morning radio show.  He still has two repair shops bearing his name, but he keeps a lower profile.

Anyway, I remember pissing off my wife one morning in the car on the way to Sunday breakfast, because I was yelling at the radio over an obviously incorrect on-air diagnosis of a Honda turn signal problem for a guy that was calling in for help.

barrym95838
EO144107

Re: Diagnosis over the internet? Possible? Legal?

cosmokramertheassman
Hey Barry, how do you feel about Car Talk? Those guys ever make you yell at the radio?

Re: Diagnosis over the internet? Possible? Legal?

I stay away from those guys, for the reasons you mentioned.  I listen to classic album rock and the CDs that "Banned" sent me last year.  If I'm in a peckish mood, I might slide in some old (Cliff Burton) Metallica or Pantera.

barrym95838
EO144107