Diesel Aftermarket Intakes

SmogAce
Are you guys failing Diesels with aftermarket air intakes? Its states in the Smog Check Manual that air intakes are exempt from the visual inspection. What are you all doing?

Its important because when you pass a vehicle, as you should, it can still be failed by another technician who wasn't aware, thus impacting your STAR score. I had to show this to my last 2 techs who were unaware. What are your thoughts?

Re: Diesel Aftermarket Intakes

No One
SmogAce wrote

I did not know that, but now I do. Although I think I don't know enough about diesel to be failing them because I don't know enough. I punt them when I'm not sure.

Re: Diesel Aftermarket Intakes

SmogAce wrote
...Its states in the Smog Check Manual that air intakes are exempt from the visual inspection...
I wouldn't say they are exempt from visual inspection, just that they don't need an EO# but everything still needs to be connected and working properly.
https://www.bar.ca.gov/pdf/2017_Smog_Check_Manual.pdf PAGE 49

I had one that had the intake air temp sensor out and hanging from the wiring harness. I failed it.

Re: Diesel Aftermarket Intakes

smog frogposter
SmogAce wrote
Are you guys failing Diesels with aftermarket air intakes? Its states in the Smog Check Manual that air intakes are exempt from the visual inspection. What are you all doing?

Its important because when you pass a vehicle, as you should, it can still be failed by another technician who wasn't aware, thus impacting your STAR score. I had to show this to my last 2 techs who were unaware. What are your thoughts?
We verify CARB exemption for the air intake, not the air filter assembly. If there is no CARB exemption for the aftermarket air intake we fail it for visual.

Re: Diesel Aftermarket Intakes

Hard Nox
Diesels Do Not require CARB exemption on

Air Cleaner Assembly

or

Intake Manifold including diesel air horn or elbow

This is listed on "Aftermarket Parts Verification"  Appendix G

Also explained on the Smog Check website "Training" tab

"Smog Check Inspector / Diesel Vehicle Inspection"

This is the way I understand it. As ugly and dirty as it seems, it's OK as long as ALL Smog devises are properly installed.

Where I have a problem is when an EO# is there that specifically list the aftermarket stuff for a different vehicle. Certified Ford parts on a Chevy or Dodge or any mismatched configuration. Or a  Certified Gasoline Intake on a Diesel.