Diesel Related Questions

1234 ... 6

Diesel Related Questions

Did my first diesel on OIS today, and the Visual Inspection options are different. Asks for DPF, NOx absorber, and Aneroid Compensator.

Motor ECS book only list DPF and SCR. Would SCR, and PTNOX be consider under "NOx Absorber"?

Anyone familiar with diesels want to help out us out how to identify what they look like? DPF, NOx absorber, Aneroid Compensator, PTNOX, and SCR?

This will definitely help most of us here on the forum.

Thanks

Re: Diesel CAT Types

missing
bump

Re: Diesel CAT Types

I would like to help you guys with a simple explanation, but the truth is that I'm not very comfortable inspecting diesels either, and I don't want to post any incomplete or incorrect information.  I have been stumped once or twice myself, and have wound up checking Motor ECSA, MostData and Google images, and following my instincts.

The last diesels that I worked with on a daily basis were the old International 6.9L and 7.3L V-8s in the Ford E-350 Ambulances over twenty years ago.  They had almost no emission controls back then, but I remember some of the 6.2L GMs had EGR.

Maybe there are other members here with diesel experience, who could share some links or other info.

barrym95838
EO144107

Re: Diesel CAT Types

dmlusmc
they really should give us a new training module for inspecting diesels then, and hybrids too

Re: Diesel CAT Types

ALLDATA and Google got me through the first years of Diesel testing. I don't have ALLDATA anymore and it really sucks. They are too greedy with the $125 a month online access, they wouldn't have such a bootleg problem with reasonable tech friendly prices. But it is the easiest and most thorough way of learning diesels fast.

You can also try Smognotes.com, not sure if its reliable for diesels though.

It would be nice if we could start our own vehicle reference look up table with pictures and what not here.

Re: Diesel CAT Types

Thanks for the smognotes.com suggestion, D.  I just joined, and will do some snooping around in the database later.  If I think that we could all benefit from joining, I will recommend it, but not just yet.

barrym95838
EO144107

Important Note:  This topic has been pinned to the top of the forum, and its scope has been changed to include all types of diesel inspection issues.  Look carefully at the subject of each post (like the one immediately below) to avoid wallowing in confusion.

Re: Aneroid Compensator

Just the Facts

Re: NOx Adsorber

Just the Facts

Re: Aneroid Compensator

HighEmitterProfile
Here's one I failed not too long ago. Push-rod type, Banks brand. Ford truck. aneroid compensator.  Amazing what Mr Google does when I researched the brand name that led me directly to Banks' website with full description and no CARB support.

Re: Aneroid Compensator

Just the Facts

Re: Aneroid Compensator

HighEmitterProfile
I stand corrected, sir.

Thanks!

Re: NOx Adsorber

Thank you Just the Facts.

Looks like you are an admin. :)

Re: NOx Adsorber

I can't find any aneroid compensators for sale. This thread pops up pretty quick. Apparently the rest of the world calls it a fuel or boost compensator.

Re: NOx Adsorber

FiendFX
I'm guessing the aneroid compensator is the one that connects with the turbo according to the picture above..

Re: Aneroid Compensator

Just the facts wrote
...  For what it's worth, they will typically be found on mechanical injection systems.  The newer HEUI (Hydraulically actuated Electronically controlled Unit Injection) and piezoelectric common rail injection systems will typically not use an aneroid compensator since they more often use MAP of MAF sensors to determine air flow.
Hmm ... I've been looking around a bit, and I think that your point is valid.  My questions would then be as follows:

1)  How many mechanical injection systems are subject to smog check?  My guess is not many.

2)  Of all the things that the OIS could prompt for, why this (rather obscure) item?

3)  Is this some sort of test to see if we're paying attention?  For example, if we enter "Pass" instead of "N/A" for a vehicle with no aneroid compensator, are we broadcasting our ignorance, and leaving ourselves open for a reprimand or citation for entering incorrect information?

barrym95838
EO144107

Re: Aneroid Compensator

007
So far vw is the only vehicle I have found with an aneroid compensator listed.

Re: Aneroid Compensator

FiendFX
really? what was the listing name on the ECS label?

i did an 06 yesterday, it mentioned PTOX, which is a DPF according to Just the Facts.

Re: Diesel CAT Types

missing
man all of us having trouble distinguishing diesel cats, when their is a tech out there who ran a 2500 HD 6.0 gas as a diesel customer had paper work of 2 years ago, manual entry 2500 diesel vir showed visulal and obd only!
i was stumble when i seen it selected as diesel!

Re: Aneroid Compensator

Just the facts,

Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) system require EO Number?

Is this the one located near the gap cap?

Re: Aneroid Compensator

dmlusmc
whats the abbreviation for the aneroid compensator in the book or underhood label?
1234 ... 6