Diesel Smog Question

Citation Addict
On the later 99.5-2003 many Diesel truck guys are eliminating the Exhaust Back Pressure valve flap on the 7.3L Diesels. The claim is eliminating a exhaust restriction and potential oil leaks from the pedestal actuator that operates the flap.

Obviously this is a modification, but upon further research, many power stroke guys seem very content this fixes a majority of performance problems and eliminates the pesky oil leaks from the turbo area.

My question is does this really constitute a Smog visual Failure? For starters these early 7.3l had very little emission controls to begin with. From what I understand, it only operates when its cold then opens when at operating temperature. IF its a non California motor, there are no cats or egr, It won't set a light if they have the isolator plug on the EBPV connector. The waste gate is still present, nothing is chipped.

Would you pass it?

Thoughts?

Re: Diesel Smog Question

Best Answer I Can Give
 The question you need to ask is, Why was it put on? Emission, drive ability, or what. Find out why it is on a vehicle. Then you should know the answer.

Re: Diesel Smog Question

Re: Diesel Smog Question

none
I would FAIL it or actually I would reject it and tell him to take it to whoever passed it before. It helps it get warmed up faster so it burns clean quicker by loading the engine is how I understand it. I reject 7.3L trucks with missing intake heaters all the time and the owners tell me they don't need it and it starts/runs fine without it blah, blah, blah.

I reject them because I don't want to be married to it and I hate dealing with these kinds of time sponge people and vehicles.

Re: Diesel Smog Question

I would FAIL it or actually I would reject it and tell him to take it to whoever passed it before. It helps it get warmed up faster so it burns clean quicker by loading the engine is how I understand it. I reject 7.3L trucks with missing intake heaters all the time and the owners tell me they don't need it and it starts/runs fine without it blah, blah, blah.

I reject them because I don't want to be married to it and I hate dealing with these kinds of time sponge people and vehicles.
Thank you NONE!!

Re: Diesel Smog Question

wastegate is a valve that diverts exhaust gases away from the turbine wheel in a turbocharged engine system. ... The primary function of the wastegate is to regulate the maximum boost pressure in turbocharger systems, to protect the engine and the turbocharger.

On Tue, Jul 7, 2020 at 9:05 PM Citation Addict [via Stop The Star Program] <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

http://stop-the-star-program.3084.x6.nabble.com/Diesel-Smog-Question-tp5081206.html

Kevin Casillas

Re: Diesel Smog Question

none
Kevin wrote
A *wastegate* is a valve that diverts exhaust gases away from the turbine
wheel in a *turbocharged* engine system. ... The primary function of the
*wastegate* is to regulate the maximum boost pressure in turbocharger
systems, to protect the engine and the turbocharger.

Kevin Casillas
He's not talking about the wastegate though. If he eliminated the wastegate we'd all fail it.

Re: Diesel Smog Question

MIGI G
I would fail it too. its use to help warm up the engine from a cold start, similar to a tac. but there are power bank kits for bigger turbo housing and an eo# that allows it to be removed. I have a 7.3l stock 300,000 miles on it and my turbo  Pedestal don't leak.