Diesel aftermarket trans with transmission tuner is it legal?

Diesel aftermarket trans with transmission tuner is it legal?

MIGI G
hey fellas, I  have a 2003 ford f350 7.3L Diesel with a suncoast aftermarket transmission with suncoast tuner monitor. Is it legal? or does it need and eo? I looked up on the smog manuel aftermarket parts page section and I don't see anything about aftermarket transmission and transmission tuners. would it pass or fail ?
didn't smog it tho but just curious what u guys would suggest.

Re: Diesel aftermarket trans with transmission tuner is it legal?

BayAreaSmogTech
MIGI G wrote
hey fellas, I  have a 2003 ford f350 7.3L Diesel with a suncoast aftermarket transmission with suncoast tuner monitor. Is it legal? or does it need and eo? I looked up on the smog manuel aftermarket parts page section and I don't see anything about aftermarket transmission and transmission tuners. would it pass or fail ?
didn't smog it tho but just curious what u guys would suggest.

Aftermarket transmission tuners are able to change shift points, therefore creating different emissions than what was intended from stock. Its a fail but its almost impossible to see that the vehicle is tuned so do the math.

Re: Diesel aftermarket trans with transmission tuner is it legal?

KeepItReal
MIGI G wrote
would it pass or fail ?
didn't smog it tho but just curious what u guys would suggest.
I would have passed it.
I've passed smogs when the transmission was bad and had to be towed in, or it had no reverse, leaking oil, smoking.
I've never looked at the transmission to see if it was a transmission change or replacement and had a referee label.
I basically don't even look at the transmission.

I could be wrong though

Re: Diesel aftermarket trans with transmission tuner is it legal?

Best Answer I Can Give
 My thinking is, Trans Fine. Tuner FAIL. you can change the factory set shift points.

Re: Diesel aftermarket trans with transmission tuner is it legal?

with out knowing what the tuner does and data is changed, i would fail it, as engine timing is also changed under load & engine load and shif points become a big factor

On Thu, Sep 17, 2020 at 11:24 AM MIGI G [via Stop The Star Program] <[hidden email]> wrote:
hey fellas, I  have a 2003 ford f350 7.3L Diesel with a suncoast aftermarket transmission with suncoast tuner monitor. Is it legal? or does it need and eo? I looked up on the smog manuel aftermarket parts page section and I don't see anything about aftermarket transmission and transmission tuners. would it pass or fail ?
didn't smog it tho but just curious what u guys would suggest.

http://stop-the-star-program.3084.x6.nabble.com/Diesel-aftermarket-trans-with-transmission-tuner-is-it-legal-tp5082029.html

Kevin Casillas

Re: Diesel aftermarket trans with transmission tuner is it legal?

This truck was at my friends shop already and was failed as a tamper. We even got ahold of BAR to verify it was a fail. Refer it to referee after you fail it and collect your $$$$

Re: Diesel aftermarket trans with transmission tuner is it legal?

;I think I would have passed it since the aftermarket section of the SCPM specifies that aftermarket parts do not c hange the configuration of emission controls. On the other hand,. there's probably a clause somewhere that specifies they do not alter emissions, which of course is anybody's guess.
Loaded for bear, licensed for quail.