Ding for the wrong reason

just another shop owner

 By the looks of things we have a bunch of CYA guys here. The whole program has turned into CYA.

 If 90% 0f the guys do it wrong are the other 10% cheaters

 Reading some of these post, guys are going to the book on every car. Major problem.
The under the hood label says nothing about timing, the book will give you a number. You put down a number that should not be. Now when I put N/A, the hood number, I get a ding.

Re: Ding for the wrong reason

K20SI
i seen some in the book that say dont adjust but i still go to alldata and look up timing and it will say not to adjust to be on the safe side and that sucks that alot of people but adjustable for the dis nissans but i still wont

Re: Ding for the wrong reason

reactor
Don't worry about small stuff. A very tiny percentage of cars is gonna give you something to really think about and out of those even smaller percentage will actually affect your score if you didn't do it how the BAR wants it done. I probably got only one ding this year and it was for Honda timing that i simply forgot to check. No dings for questionable cars like Nissans, etc.

Re: Ding for the wrong reason

smogtech19
my boss was telling me to enter in timing even if its dis just enter in whats under the hood but if its dis I just enter n/a and I've never got hit for timing

Re: Ding for the wrong reason

SMOG 1
smogtech19,

   i would recommend you not to listen to your boss or at least perform proper inspection and not put timing adjustable on those dis systems since the ones that know what we are doing know those are an NA on our book.

Re: Ding for the wrong reason

K20SI
i dont think it would be hard for bar to make the system to where if the car needs obd2 or gas cap or timing have the mchine ask for it and if it dosnt it should be bypassed by it self that would be great

Re: Ding for the wrong reason

smogtech19
that would make since but thats why they wont do it the tech world has changed since they made the bar 97 a cell phone is faster and smarter than your smog equipment and were still using dial up basicly the state wants us to do there job for them

Re: Ding for the wrong reason

K20SI
the smog equipment has been out dated for 10 years lol but it could cost too much to sell everyone a new machine and they dail up is pretty old lol

Re: Ding for the wrong reason

The BAR website had a FAQs. You may appeal if you think you did it right. Just have evidence on paper and fax to them.

Re: Ding for the wrong reason

All you can do is use your experience and hopefully everything works for the best.  The only issue I have is a low SVFR.

Re: Ding for the wrong reason

elizatina14
Banned User

Re: Ding for the wrong reason

Ugh ... it looks like we have a spam-bot parrot flapping around now.  Do most spammers know that they are among the most despised scum of the earth?  http://rosettacode.org/wiki/Special:RecentChanges has been hammered by them for months now, and it really amazes me to see a few moderators taking the effort to delete and block dozens of accounts every day.  http://99-bottles-of-beer.net/ moderators just gave up and disabled comment posting for everyone, except for the Guest Book.

barrym95838
EO144107