Do aftermarket parts require a CARB EO label to be on the vehicle?

Do aftermarket parts require a CARB EO label to be on the vehicle?

user7112
If the vehicle does not have a label can you pass it if the customer provides the CARB EO number?

Re: Do aftermarket parts require a CARB EO label to be on the vehicle?

His_Stigness
Here's the paragraph from the smog check manual that talks about aftermarket part verification:

Aftermarket Parts Label: CARB approved or exempted parts are subject to CARB aftermarket
parts labeling requirements. These requirements specify that Aftermarket Parts Labels (APL)
must be affixed or stamped on approved/exempted parts or, if not practical, installed near the
approved/exempted parts. The labels are required to contain an EO number that can be used to
verify CARB approval or exemption, as outlined in section 1.3.1. Note: A missing or illegible
APL does not constitute an inspection failure. In cases where the label is missing or illegible, the
inspector may proceed with the inspection, provided the parts can be confirmed as CARB
approved or exempted by comparing the part number marked on the part with the CARB EO
parts listings or the parts manufacturer catalog.

That last bit is the most important:

In cases where the label is missing or illegible, the
inspector may proceed with the inspection, provided the parts can be confirmed as CARB
approved or exempted by comparing the part number marked on the part with the CARB EO
parts listings or the parts manufacturer catalog.

You have to understand the legality of the language used. They stated that an inspector MAY proceed with the inspection and use other sources to verify the legality. It does not say an inspector SHALL proceed. The difference is very important. If a vehicle is missing the label technicians are either allowed to fail it, or refuse inspection.

Also, one more thing to note about what it says:

by comparing the part number marked on the part with the CARB EO
parts listings or the parts manufacturer catalog

If a part has no part number, technically, you can't pass it. But this is a gray area, and it's where the BAR loves to operate in. If it were black and white there wouldn't be an issue and the BAR couldn't cite technicians as often as they do.

Personally, I take these types of things on a case by case basis. And it all depends on the customer and their attitude. I've verified plenty of modifications online without a label, but again, it depends on the situation. With the Tacoma yesterday, there was no reason for the air intake label to be missing since whoever installed the supercharger almost assuredly put the intake on at the same time. So they can fix their fuck up. I'm not going to waste my time searching through Toyota's shit website to verify an intake, the dealer who installed it can.

But for a long time customer who has a 2000 diesel he bought used with Banks stuff? I'm going to take a minute to verify it THEN I'm going to have the customer call Banks and get the labels.

How many techs do this shit? In my experience its mostly zeroin my area. No carb # no pass. Not only that A lot of the veteran techs in my area dont even verify EO#s. They just see and EO# and its an automatic pass.

Re: Do aftermarket parts require a CARB EO label to be on the vehicle?

a lot of this turns in inspector discreation

On Tue, Oct 20, 2020 at 8:44 AM user7112 [via Stop The Star Program] <[hidden email]> wrote:
If the vehicle does not have a label can you pass it if the customer provides the CARB EO number?

Kevin Casillas

Re: Do aftermarket parts require a CARB EO label to be on the vehicle?

dcf1ver
user7112 wrote
If the vehicle does not have a label can you pass it if the customer provides the CARB EO number?
Only if you can verify that EO number, part number, and the part match up. Thats not always easy to do. If I dont see a part number so I can look it up myself, Ill probably fail it.

Re: Do aftermarket parts require a CARB EO label to be on the vehicle?

laziiee
Let's give an example case here, Car go to your shop with an aftermarket intake no EO # but have a part number, you fail it, then it come to my shop i punch in the part # and verify the EO # and pass it cause it's legal customer is furious and complain to BAR, well who ass is bar gonna ride in that case?

Another one is same example i pass the car with just part # and no EO, but 2 years later that same car went to your shop and you fail it right when you open the hood cause there's no sticker, fucking up my score for a perfectly legal car, is that fair?
My point is that you don't have to waste your time verifying shit, if you don't wanna do it send the car down the road, or better yet charge for your time, I see shop charging 10$ for any after market part verification and that's perfectly acceptable.

Re: Do aftermarket parts require a CARB EO label to be on the vehicle?

Do aftermarket EO labels require an EO?
Loaded for bear, licensed for quail.

Re: Do aftermarket parts require a CARB EO label to be on the vehicle?

Best Answer I Can Give
 Love each and every one of you people. YOU DON'T think.
Think this out. Why is the label even made? Because by LAW, CARB Law, aftermarket part NEEDS  to have a label.  So why does BAR skirt the laws? We can't.
If people like K&N could get rid of the BS involved with the crap of making the label, replacing LOST labels, do you think they would spend the time and MONEY to do it?

 It's all a MONEY GRAB. How much to get a CAT "Approved"?

 The deal with, Yes you need the label, and NO you don't, is just a PISSING contest.

Re: Do aftermarket parts require a CARB EO label to be on the vehicle?

laziiee
I'm on the CARB aftermarket regulation page https://ww3.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/amquery-091517.php I went over it twice and no where do I see it require by law to have the label, I'm not saying you're wrong I just can't find it yet so can you give me the link. But as far as BAR and the smog check procedure are concern it's not even a gray area it's say it right there in black and white " A missing or illegible APL does not constitute an inspection failure " That should answer the OP question.

Re: Do aftermarket parts require a CARB EO label to be on the vehicle?

Juicebox
Im with you laziiee, I love showing a customer who was failed by the guy down the street how easy it is to look up a part without a sticker. I almost always gain a customer just because i spent the extra 3 minutes to look it up.

Re: Do aftermarket parts require a CARB EO label to be on the vehicle?

dcf1ver
laziiee wrote
I'm on the CARB aftermarket regulation page https://ww3.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/amquery-091517.php I went over it twice and no where do I see it require by law to have the label, I'm not saying you're wrong I just can't find it yet so can you give me the link. But as far as BAR and the smog check procedure are concern it's not even a gray area it's say it right there in black and white " A missing or illegible APL does not constitute an inspection failure " That should answer the OP question.
Its most likely buried in the California Code of regulations(title 16)

Re: Do aftermarket parts require a CARB EO label to be on the vehicle?

Better time management. Don't waist time . Fail/refuse and move on

Re: Do aftermarket parts require a CARB EO label to be on the vehicle?

user7112
I'll admit I was wrong
BUT
I'm going to proceed without changes, technically I did not break any rules and I am covering myself in case the subsequent test is done by a misinformed tech such as myself lol

If i pass it with no label and the next guy fails it I am screwed

Re: Do aftermarket parts require a CARB EO label to be on the vehicle?

user7112
To clear it up I do not fail the vehicle
i do not pass it either

I just inform the customer on how to get the CARB EO label and ask him to come back once he does get it.

I say something along the lines of...

"""""I do not want to wrongly fail the car, that is unfair to you and i do not want to wrongly pass the car and jeopardize my job

You can go to another station but you run the risk of them failing it and charging you, or them asking for some kind of bribe to pass it

The clearest way for you to pass your vehicle with no "if ands or buts" and keep it passing for years to come is to put the CARB EO label under the hood

the aftermarket parts manufacturer will send it to you free of charge and you wont have to worry about making the smog check more of a pain in the neck than it already is """"

After the speech i give the customer a little lockerroom tap and the butt and send the on their way

Re: Do aftermarket parts require a CARB EO label to be on the vehicle?

laziiee
That's fair enough user7112, and most of the time the customer will get the sticker and come back to your shop, I always tell the customer to call the manufacture and get the label cause it will save them time down the road anyways.