Driving with MIL On

Johnnybeme
With the sophistication of OBD2 there is a data PID that stores miles driven with MIL on. Could not OIS pick this up and fine the consumer?

Re: Driving with MIL On

Re: Driving with MIL On

They've been trying to do this for a long time where the vehicle would eventually shut off if you're polluting or report it to the authorities that you're polluting. There was even a bill at 1 point that they wide a intergrades into like the on star programs where it would send you a citation or suspend your registration

Re: Driving with MIL On

Re: Driving with MIL On

Kevin wrote
They've been trying to do this for a long time where the vehicle would eventually shut off if you're polluting or report it to the authorities that you're polluting. There was even a bill at 1 point that they wide a intergrades into like the on star programs where it would send you a citation or suspend your registration
Do you have any reference for that or more information where I could search it out myself? That is interesting but I never heard that before and can't find anything on it.

Re: Driving with MIL On

Hard Nox
When explaining this Smog Check Failure to the customer they respond;

1) Oh I know my car just needs an oil change.

2) That light has been on for about a year, my mechanic said I need to replace the gas cap.

3) My mechanic said don't worry about it.

Re: Driving with MIL On

Midnightdrummer
I also get, "Yeah, it just has an electrical problem"

Re: Driving with MIL On

Best Answer I Can Give
 Who drives with the light ON? Those that can't afford to fix it. Not all but a good piece of the pie. It COST money to fix it.
Well the poor babies and the older folks may have to go without, so we will only make them fix it when they need to.

 Remember the thinking of those in charge now.

 When they need a tax increase. Who will be hurt if we don't give them the MONEY? They always tell you the poor children and the elderly. Pull at the heart strings.

 Make them FIX IT NOW? Hell you are the big bad mean DICK TATOR. We will vote for Santa Clause.

Re: Driving with MIL On

Follow up Question

If the customer has neglected to fix his or her car by determining miles driven while MIL on, then FPR should be invalidated for that particular vehicle in the current testing cycle?

Re: Driving with MIL On

Re: Driving with MIL On

Best Answer I Can Give
 JM, what do you think is the TRUE Number of, "The light came on ??  on the way here\Yesterday\Last week." When in truth it's came on after the last test.

 The very idea that you can get a ding because the person forgot to turn off the lights and had to jump start it\Now no memory, AND IT'S YOUR FAULT?

Re: Driving with MIL On

Johnnybeme
Besta

I was inferring that FPR should be affected only if the miles driven pid is zero. Any other value means that the customer has had problem between inspection cycles and the FPR data should be ignored.

Re: Driving with MIL On

Best Answer I Can Give
Yes. True. Mine was, Why are we responsible? The light is on or has been on. How many do we see DAILY where the light has been cleared, NOT FIXED, ON, Because it was not maintained. And it effect the Tech FPR?