EGR monitor MBZ 98 E300 TD not complete

zippy
I have spent a lot of time trying to find accurate enabling criteria for the EGR monitor on this 1 year only car. Having repaired the EGR system so it works perfectly, and driven 500+ miles. When presented vehicles had 96K miles since codes cleared and monitor never ran. This car only has 1 monitor that needs to pass. I spoke with MBZ shop foreman & he said they sold only a few of these cars and he had no more techs that knew about them. but he remembered having monitor problems with this yr model.  Yes EGR gets correct signal, opens, warm, when it should, passages clean and passing ample exhaust. Any thoughts.

Re: EGR monitor MBZ 98 E300 TD not complete

No One
zippy wrote
I have spent a lot of time trying to find accurate enabling criteria for the EGR monitor on this 1 year only car. Having repaired the EGR system so it works perfectly, and driven 500+ miles. When presented vehicles had 96K miles since codes cleared and monitor never ran. This car only has 1 monitor that needs to pass. I spoke with MBZ shop foreman & he said they sold only a few of these cars and he had no more techs that knew about them. but he remembered having monitor problems with this yr model.  Yes EGR gets correct signal, opens, warm, when it should, passages clean and passing ample exhaust. Any thoughts.
EGR on these cars are a bitch to get done. If there is a voltage or rpm problem, then you aren't going to get that egr monitor done. I got one of those done on my dyno. Took me around an hour or so. i dont bother setting monitors on MBZ anymore, they can be too time consuming sometimes.

here at the bottom is from a post I made a while back. Give it try and good luck

 Anyone have any tips on completing the egr monitor on 01 clk320? SI says drive smoothly up to 2000 rpm and then let it drop smoothly 1100. Im then supposed to turn the car off for 10 secs and restart or repeat if monitor did not complete.

"5. EGR System (Emission Vacuum Diagnostics): No DTC codes should stored for the intake manifold pressure sensor and EGR pressure transducer during this portion of the test. With the engine temperature at 80°C:
        -  Start and Drive vehicle (in D position) and then accelerate smoothly up to 2000 rpm, and then decelerate smoothly back down to 1100 rpm.

     NOTE: If using a Hand Held Scan Tool to verify test completion. This will be indicated by a check mark in the display field or the word PASS

  After this test step has been completed, turn ignition OFF, wait 10 seconds and repeat this test step (5) again."

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG HERE??

Edit: So apparently "accelerate smoothly up to 2000 rpm" means drive up to 45-55(like most cars with egrs) and then let it drop slowly. Did this on free form mode. I made the mistake of doing 5hp on technician selected steady mode and getting up to 2000 rpm at like 15-25mph. It took 6 mins after wasting all that time.

I would also like to note that I maintained 45 for 4 mins and on the second try I just went to 45mph and then dropped to 0 right away. The monitor set right after.

Re: EGR monitor MBZ 98 E300 TD not complete

there is a relay in the system, make sure it is worksing

On Mon, Mar 22, 2021 at 1:20 PM zippy [via Stop The Star Program] <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have spent a lot of time trying to find accurate enabling criteria for the EGR monitor on this 1 year only car. Having repaired the EGR system so it works perfectly, and driven 500+ miles. When presented vehicles had 96K miles since codes cleared and monitor never ran. This car only has 1 monitor that needs to pass. I spoke with MBZ shop foreman & he said they sold only a few of these cars and he had no more techs that knew about them. but he remembered having monitor problems with this yr model.  Yes EGR gets correct signal, opens, warm, when it should, passages clean and passing ample exhaust. Any thoughts.

http://stop-the-star-program.3084.x6.nabble.com/EGR-monitor-MBZ-98-E300-TD-not-complete-tp5083385.html

Kevin Casillas

Re: EGR monitor MBZ 98 E300 TD not complete

This car is a DIESEL though. I think this EGR runs mostly at idle (as most diesels do).