ESP analyzer, anyone having problems with CAN vehicles not reading RPMs

ESP analyzer, anyone having problems with CAN vehicles not reading RPMs

GrossPolluter
Just like the title says, Could it be the new software update that is causing this? In the past we would just enter yes on OBD2 functional test but the analyzer would automatically bypass the test.

Most of the CAN vehicles that we tested today we would encountered problems with not communicating with the computer, not getting RPM signal from the DLC. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Re: ESP analyzer, anyone having problems with CAN vehicles not reading RPMs

Citation Addict
Do you have the CAN adapter?

Re: ESP analyzer, anyone having problems with CAN vehicles not reading RPMs

GrossPolluter
Yes we do. Never had a problem with it in the past.

Technician had to ABORT 2 inspections for being CAN and it did not automatically bypass the OBD2 functional test.

Re: ESP analyzer, anyone having problems with CAN vehicles not reading RPMs

FiendFX
when it asks, does this car require obd2 functional check, just put no.

Re: ESP analyzer, anyone having problems with CAN vehicles not reading RPMs

Citation Addict
Make sure you varify if the vehicle has OBD2, some could be CAN. Like Friendfx stated you select NO for OBD2 otherwise it will not communicate to the cars computer.

May I inquire what vehicle you were testing?

Re: ESP analyzer, anyone having problems with CAN vehicles not reading RPMs

I've been doing just fine without the adapter.  My boss told me that he had a couple of salesmen bugging him to buy one, and I said, "Tell them to go to hell."  It's recommended, not required, and I refuse to justify the expense.

I think that I'm turning into a grumpy old man ...

barrym95838
EO144107

Re: ESP analyzer, anyone having problems with CAN vehicles not reading RPMs

Mark
I know people like Berry that have a ESP almost never
have to do this :) But I got a Sun, and the first
repair procedure is always a reboot.

Re: ESP analyzer, anyone having problems with CAN vehicles not reading RPMs

GrossPolluter
2007 Honda Odyssey 3.5L

2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7L

Like I mentioned before, the analyzer would bypass these vehicles in the past. They would either ask

if it requires the OBD2 functional(I wouldn't matter what we input, after the ASM if would direct

us to the Visual screen)or would not ask at all. This problem occurred yesterday, we rebooted

the analyzer twice but we still don't see any changes. I thought the new software update may

cause this.

Re: ESP analyzer, anyone having problems with CAN vehicles not reading RPMs

FiendFX
those 2 vehicles you listed are CAN. Just manually bypass.

Re: ESP analyzer, anyone having problems with CAN vehicles not reading RPMs

Yes just manually bypass the obd two portion like you did before you got the CANupdated adap. Until you can find a solution to why its not functioning . Make sure it is firmly connected to Base. Also like Mark said, reboot ,and possible hard reboot.

Re: ESP analyzer, anyone having problems with CAN vehicles not reading RPMs

Citation Addict
Yeah, Like Friendfx said, they are CAN vehicles. Sometimes if a car does not read on RPM I do a reset on the moduel itself. I use a paper clip and hit the reset button. Most of the time it will solve many of my RPM problems and saves me from aborting too many tests.

Make sure you unplug it from the vehicle first, before you reset the moduel.

Re: ESP analyzer, anyone having problems with CAN vehicles not reading RPMs

GrossPolluter
We know these are CAN vehicles. We are trying to avoid using the non-contact RPM pickup tach

because those are so inaccurate, our only concern is that we do not want to get dinged for

wrong gear selection if that DIS tach pickup doesn't give the right RPM signal

Re: ESP analyzer, anyone having problems with CAN vehicles not reading RPMs

K20SI
dose anyone  have problems with dodge rams 1996-2000 they are not can but i pre screen all my cars before they come in i cant get the obd2 system to communicate with the smog machine or hand held scan tool but when it comes to rpm it picks up rpm and passes functional check ive done atleast 10 in the last month and every single one had this problem

Re: ESP analyzer, anyone having problems with CAN vehicles not reading RPMs

My 1st Gen ESP with no CAN-update seems to have problems with many (but not all) '96 and '97 Chrysler and Jeep products.  I ate several aborts before getting wise and pre-checking them for EIS communication BEFORE the test.

If I had programmed the inspection software, I would have moved the EXIT vs. ABORT threshold to just AFTER the RPM communication screen, but I didn't, so I have to deal with it, along with the several entry screens that you can't back-up to correct.  My biggest pet peeve there is the MIL functional; if I stumble on a key, I fail it instead of pass it, and can't correct that simple key-press error.  Meh, it's a living, but I can't help but let the f-bombs fly from time-to-time!

barrym95838
EO144107