Early 2000s Cadillac Air Pumps

TheSmogDog
Just curious how you guys check these. Had a 2003 seville in here and the pump is in the wheel well. I always check the valves and follow the lines but the pump itself is pretty much impossible for me to see. I usually just follow the lines coming off the check valves and give em a jiggle to make sure theyre connected.. You guys got any tricks on seeing these?

Re: Early 2000s Cadillac Air Pumps

FiendFX

I doubt you are required to disassemble things just to see if the air pump is present. Some vehicles you cannot touch OR see.

Re: Early 2000s Cadillac Air Pumps

TheSmogDog wrote
Just curious how you guys check these. Had a 2003 seville in here and the pump is in the wheel well. I always check the valves and follow the lines but the pump itself is pretty much impossible for me to see. I usually just follow the lines coming off the check valves and give em a jiggle to make sure theyre connected.. You guys got any tricks on seeing these?
I always use my x-ray glasses

Re: Early 2000s Cadillac Air Pumps

Technician A
FiendFX wrote
I doubt you are required to disassemble things just to see if the air pump is present. Some vehicles you cannot touch OR see.
We are not required to disassemble only for the evap system. Everything else we are technically required to do so. Thanks to ninja editing of the smog check manual.

Re: Early 2000s Cadillac Air Pumps

BayAreaSmogTech
TheSmogDog wrote
Just curious how you guys check these. Had a 2003 seville in here and the pump is in the wheel well. I always check the valves and follow the lines but the pump itself is pretty much impossible for me to see. I usually just follow the lines coming off the check valves and give em a jiggle to make sure theyre connected.. You guys got any tricks on seeing these?
Pipes going in the right spot. Try checking with inspection mirror and if unable its passed.

BAR isn't going to bring you a car with a missing emission device that you can't easily see. Cars where those air pumps are missing will have engine undercovers taken off, missing wheel well covers or dangling (disconnected) hoses.

Link for these? lol

Re: Early 2000s Cadillac Air Pumps

TheSmogDog
thanks for the input.. i figured as much

Re: Early 2000s Cadillac Air Pumps

Hard Nox
Do you know if those Amazing x-ray glasses are still available? Sure could use a pair for those challenging visual inspections.

Re: Early 2000s Cadillac Air Pumps

Technician A wrote
FiendFX wrote
Do you actually remove things to see the AIR PUMP?

Re: Early 2000s Cadillac Air Pumps

Technician A
FiendFX wrote
Do you actually remove things to see the AIR PUMP?
I do not. I only remove two things for smog checks - the dog house for the vans and the top engine bay cover if it is easily removable. I am technically not doing it correctly.

Re: Early 2000s Cadillac Air Pumps

none
I can't see everything but I try hard. I use a Blue Point extending mirror to try to see as much as I can on most cars like the Evap canister on the top of the tank on RAM pick ups and PCV valves under the intake on many cars. I also gently tug on hoses too.

On the later Tundras, I used a mirror and can see one of the two air pumps behind the plastic fender liner.