Emotionally drained

StarTech
You know.. those days.. Usually the hottest when the worst cars come and they fail. And when they fail the customer emotionally drains you with a sob story.  " I didn't need this right now... i just came from the hospital.. my health is failing... i don't have the money.. why are you doing this to me. Why can't you just fix it so it can pass. Can't you just help me? my spouse just died, just got diagnosed with cancer" ..etc etc.. you've all heard it before.

I'm sorry, there's nothing I can do.
Then you have to tell them the retest price and even though you told them in the beginning they act like its the first time hearing they have to pay again.

Then they rant about politicians etc etc.
Anyone else get emotionally drained from time to time?  I have to desensitize myself to human emotions in this field and it's sad because they are real people just like you and me who like the same things we do. I know its life but damn..  I'm the kind of person who likes to help people outside of the smog industry and to know because of my test, they are going to struggle and have a shitty day.. maybe even kill themself.

Maybe the heat just makes it more difficult to have the patience of "pretending to care"

I guess I didn't have a point to discuss in here.. I just wanted to vent to the only people who would truly understand me in this aspect- you guys.

What are your thoughts? Do you have similar experiences ?

Re: Emotionally drained

Re: Emotionally drained

Re: Emotionally drained

Kriss Vector

Re: Emotionally drained

 My whole problem with the deal is "I have no money"

 It's a BMW, (Looks like HELL). Body art all over themselves. Piercings up the ????
Vehicle smells like dope. Fancy shoes. Won't get off the cell phone. They smoke like a chimney. Stink of it.
Full of butts and ash.

 PLUS they are a AIRHEAD. You know what you are telling them is in one ear and out the other.

 Yes when it is REAL HOT. or REAL COLD, and the bed is nice and soft, you KNOW your feet are going to hurt the minute they hit the floor. You have to wonder, "Do I Really Want To Do This?"

 It is a Fact that we are in Retail\Must put up  with the public. That fact, plus the OTHER FACT that we are not the only ones in that boat. Every where you go you see idiots. Sometimes we are that IDIOT.

 HOW MANY TIMES HAVE YOU PUSHED ON A DOOR THAT SAID PULL?

Re: Emotionally drained

StarTech
Its also even more difficult when you are running the entire shop  (from answering phones calls, making appointments, smogging, writing up work orders and cashiering and explaining fail results on top of the above mentioned sob stories ) .. by yourself.. no help most days for just 17 dollars an hour with nearly 10 years experience.. no lunch breaks.. and dont even go home on time.. (but you must BE at work on time).  You can't even get a raise because boss complains of no money. etc . .. working for family sucks. I got stuck into it.

Re: Emotionally drained

Karupt
They are emotionally draining swamp dwelling vampires and i loathe the whole 20 minute counseling session after a failed test . I will not go over 20 minutes though  if they are still that dense then im collecting and referring to 18009525210

Re: Emotionally drained

Startech , you got a job ? congratulations ! You are the one that lives in south cali /north SD county right ?
   Congratulations , i am happy for you !

Re: Emotionally drained

  I totally feel what you are saying and that's the reason why I left the smog industry.  Now I work for the city and don't have to deal with the general public.

Re: Emotionally drained

I hear sob stories all day I do not want to here your sob story. Get a job that pays you what you are worth, otherwise STFU. The fact you are putting up with this stuff is testimony to the reason we all have such low wages. Suck it up. Your boss is taking advantage of your patience and drawing the whole system lower. I say quit but you must do what you must, I really hope it works out for you but really it is just a job.

Re: Emotionally drained

Best Answer I Can Give
 JM last night, I was thinking about some of the stuff that was on this thread. 100% right. The BAR is right. Nobody is holding a gun to your head. Nobody has said you HAVE TO work for these low wages.

 Ever one of you who work for a owner who just comes in to pick up the money, Especially if you are a One Man Shop. If you are working for less than $26 an hour, YOU ARE A DAMN FOOL. WHO HAS WHO BY THE BALLS?

 Two shops on this site, They keep "Bumping" the post Looking For A Tech.

 You walk out? HE'S FUCKED

 Shit, In and Out Pays a good wage. Just being a wrench bender at a good shop pays better than you are making now,

 JM is right. If you are working in the HEAT that is happening now. And you are working for a Low Ball won't pay you crap. SHUT UP AND GET OUT.

Re: Emotionally drained

Re: Emotionally drained

Best Answer I Can Give
 Sorry D, I am not a happy Money wise as I would like to be. Just for the reason you put down. Every Fucking mouth breathing piece of crap low life can get a licence.
There are schools out there that will spoon fed you the answers the BAR and ASE want to hear.

 I just don't FUCKING get it. Bitch and complain for CHEAP MONEY? WTF. You do it because you work for a cheap ass bastard? WTF?

 You quit, Better yet get yourself fired so you can collect. DEMAND MORE MONEY. Let him fire your ass. What are they going to do. Are they willing to pay for a shop they can't use. NOBODY TO RUN IT.

 You have a Smog Licence. A dealership will snap you up in a minute. You have  proven to the dealer YOU ARE NOT A AVERAGE IDIOT.

 A Smog licence. A College Degree proves one thing. YOU WERE WILLING TO GET OFF YOUR ASS.

Re: Emotionally drained

Kriss Vector

Re: Emotionally drained

Best Answer I Can Give
 You know I have a HARD time felling sorry for any of us.

 WE DID THIS TO OUR SELF.

 MR Barry ever get's on what he is trying to do. I will bet that after a year he will kick himself that he didn't do it 20 years before.

 The day I decided to stop working for the City of LA and run this place? I FUCKED UP THAT DAY.

 You have a license. You are here on this site. YOU ARE NOT STUPID. Yes you are. Go get a job with the city. The State The Feds.

 Not sure, I think that's what the Facts man did . Did you? Are you sorry. Or are you sorry you didn't do it 20 years earlier?

 We listen to people bitch and complain, because we CHOOSE TO.

Re: Emotionally drained

mikesmobile

Isaiah 26:3 King James Version (KJV)

 Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee.

Stay on God every moment. When you're not smogging. Stay on God. When a customer sobs, complains, stay on God. Every moment, everyday.
Maybe those Sobber's should do the same.
Mike

Re: Emotionally drained

Re: Emotionally drained

mikesmobile
Get a lobbyist to effect some change in Sacramento, get a good attorney, keep working on this union, you need some buzz if you want this thing to go anywhere.
Start a blog, get some media. Start reaching out to the techs who are affected by this, see if the media will latch on, post all this to a blog.
Union thing is good, but not enough. Once you have some momentum, some buzz, some techs will get behind it.
Your Union is pretty much dead until you do something else.
Keep doing the same thing and you'll keep getting the same result.
When did you start that union anyway? I think It's been a few years.
Mike

Re: Emotionally drained

Re: Emotionally drained

D and Besta

I balance my income with my integrity. I turn down anything but exact and easy. Last week I did 8 Smogs this week twenty, the point is that I have other work to compare my effort to. A brake job brings me more money in less time with no risk. An alternator brings me more money in less time with no risk. A 2002 Camry is an easy smog with cut and dry equipment, low risk fast money. Life is too short and being test and repair has some advantage. Let me be clear. You guys who do this job for less and have to do POS ASM and high risk vehicles need to weigh your exposure. I know those who just are employed do not have the luxury. You guys are the heroes cause you keep the whole thing going. I wish I had the power to raise you all to the levels you deserve but I have struggles too just doing a very hard job with little reward.(except money) Charge more and be happy!